Mental health and conspiracy.

SeanDWalker

As a background, i trained for 2 years as a mental health nurse which put me in a variety of settings, I worked with pretty much every variety of person you could imagine in that time and witnessed much. I actually left leaving because i ended up believing that the majority of what I was learning to do was verging on disgusting, the methods we use were a mix of chemical constraint, pseudoscience and guess work. A elderly lady who was suffering from depression came in after a psychotic episode, she left weeks later after being sectioned (held without right to leave) once i did a Urinary tract infection test on her....she came up positive and boom, her symptoms were treated with antibiotics, and no longer any signs of psychosis

She left with bruises, because numerous times she refused to start on a anti-psychotic which was deemed the best thing for her to take, her sister had a history of it and she knew how powerful the medication could be so in my mind she had every right to refuse (especially considering she was NOT 'mentally ill'). She was held down, skirt pulled down and injected on two occasions, she was offered a choice, take it, or TAKE it.

I can speak of many cases where people were manipulated into, forced, tricked into taking highly powerful medication on the basis of very little evidence.

I've met patients who believe they have been implanted with you name it, by you name it - BUT there was one guy in particular who came from particular place known for such stories, recounted that he was a orphan and has flash backs of weird tests done on him, that he has a chip in his back - he believed he was part of a MK Ultra experiment, he was called mentally ill, and to me, actually was, not from what he was saying but the level of distrust he had for staff (pretty normal) but for other patients too was extreme, we were agents etc.

About 2 months a go i watched a youtube documentary (typically i cannot find it now...) where this documentary with somebody who talked of accounts very similar to this guy, he was a orphan too and spoke of weird experiments, being drugged and then having to do a task, that sort of thing as well as claiming to have a chip in his back which he presumed was a transmitter, they waved a "bugchecker" around the area, and indeed it spiked whenever they put this near his back.

Now i'm not saying either are evidence, but this put me in a very uncomfortable mind set - How WOULD you prove such a thing has happened to you? and even if you tried, WHO would believe you? a psychiatric ward is a trapping ground.

I also have a friend who's mum's dad performed LSD testing on her, very, very grim stuff happened to her from the few bits that he'll let me know, this was just one sick individual - nobody believed her for a long time, not until he died and a box of notes was uncovered. She again went through hell trying to get help for something people just could not believe was possible. She could of very well ended up in hospital, because she was a "nutter" or "crazy", i mention this again because a woman on my ward claimed a similar thing had happened to her and her brother, was put down to delusional fantasy but what if it wasn't? how the fuck and who the fuck gives us the right to determine the truth when all we have is her word and nothing else other than family details which collaborated her story more than hindered it.

Now, you've seen it all on this forum and some things people say you probably hope for them to receive professional help - but if i went to my GP, said i felt a bit low, or i lost my job recently and then somehow started talking avidly about the few conspiracies that i'm inclined to believe (nothing is 'certain' lol) - i could easily, and i mean easily end up in a psychiatric ward, probably 1/4 chance...now if i was unlucky enough to have been stuck with the conspiracies that say medicine is a form of population control (mental or physical) then thrown into a environment where they don't give me a choice but to be medicated and i react, the chances of them finding 'nothing wrong with me' go from likely to very unlikely in one bad tempered move (and why wouldn't you want to lash out after being sectioned for assessment and locked into a ward with people seem terrifying, phone taken off you, possibly your clothes, your lighter..)

Now in society you have this bizarre problem that "consparist theorist" is directly associated with being "crazy" in one way or the other; despite the fact that conspiracies happen ALL the time in one way or the other - the very nature of them is that you do not know what is going on unless you are involved, so you can only guess/dig until evidence comes up which verifies it OR shows it could not be happening (which is harder than finding evidence which verifies), so you speculate, ask others, you find "evidence" which you find convincing, like i find 9/11 conspiracy evidence compelling, you try to find out 9/11 truth, what should come up is metabunk, but instead it's the opposite, it's all the reasons why your unverified theory IS correct, not usually why it isn't), you become convinced of the conspiracy, make a mistake like that US veteran who got sectioned for putting a "9/11 truth" poster up on facebook (OK i don't know if that IS true 'cos the source is Alex fucking Jones lol).

You also have a problem that once you are convinced of something and you do not have a many-shades-of-grey way of thinking, you want to talk through the conspiracy, convince others of it, but you're met with 'it's just loony' or other attacks on your person. You end up pushing that person into a more and more defensive position or alleviate them as they at-least looked for this stuff, worked through some of it, watched the material, they feel they KNOW it - you make them believe there something they are not by going on the attack without understanding and evidence, give them the feeling of being "awake" while you're asleep, getting hot under the collar because your beliefs are being challenged. They go on more stuck in the belief than ever.

Ok i've lost my train of thought, if there was one - i'm trying to summarize the point of this thread, and i'm finding that there isn't one. I think, what i'm trying to say is the relation between conspiracy theory and mental health is a complicated one, I've seen some examples of people taking it so far they are hurting themselves and if that person has no other support than mental health services are the best thing for them, but for a lot of people you have to question why having outlandish ideas, even being passionate in them is a insane thing? or a dangerous thing? they might even be on to the right thing or at-least 'more right' than you could possibly think....

You also have to question the power of the section, who gets to choose who gets sectioned and how easily this could be abused by a government once people think in a way which is dangerous for them OR how easy it actually is to create a fiction that can get somebody sectioned.

OK, i'm posting this and might come back and do a serious re-edit lol.

I think a big problem is that there is a spectrum of delusion, all the way from just being (arguably) a tiny bit overly suspicious of the government, all the way to being inarguably insane and thinking demons are talking to you though the TV, and a vast amount in between. The problem this creates is that it often gets lumped in together, mild (and sometimes justified) paranoia is not the same as psychotic delusions.

I always try to avoid discussing mental health because of this problem. I used to post a lot about Morgellons, and the stigma of mental health there was quite incredible, despite the fact that a large percentage of the people who self-diagnosed with Morgellons actually had been diagnosed with some other mental health issue. You get pushback on the issue of mental health involvement from both ends of the spectrum - firstly the reasonably sane people resent even the hint of suggestion that there might be any mental involvement, and then the actually mentally ill people are violently opposed to the idea that they might be mentally ill. It's a very delicate subject.

Involuntary commitment and forced medication is a not an area in which clear lines can be drawn. There is inevitably going to be contention about what is justified, and there's going to be a lot of individual subjective variation. I think it's probably an area that needs more oversight than it gets, with more emphasis on patient advocacy.

Are you in the UK? Can I ask under what scheme you did your training and when? Maybe I am misunderstanding but even getting a bed for a sectioned patient is difficult. To be frank the best way is under a Section 136, police place of safety. Just having a delusion does not automatically mean you are sectioned. I honestly dont understand where you get that use from especially since Care in the Community and the power of the Mental Health Tribunals. Someone who is in a delusional state, say due to psychosis, who is a danger to themselves or others, is unable to detatch from the delusion even for self preservation. Now let's say for instance a CTer, or someone that may have had a real experience, comes under the spotlight they have the where-with-all to realise that shutting up will avoid a section. Don't forget even under a Section 2 they have the right to appeal.

Are you in the UK? Can I ask under what scheme you did your training and when? Maybe I am misunderstanding but even getting a bed for a sectioned patient is difficult. To be frank the best way is under a Section 136, police place of safety. Just having a delusion does not automatically mean you are sectioned. I honestly dont understand where you get that use from especially since Care in the Community and the power of the Mental Health Tribunals. Someone who is in a delusional state, say due to psychosis, who is a danger to themselves or others, is unable to detatch from the delusion even for self preservation. Now let's say for instance a CTer, or someone that may have had a real experience, comes under the spotlight they have the where-with-all to realise that shutting up will avoid a section. Don't forget even under a Section 2 they have the right to appeal.

I am indeed in the UK...

South yorkshire, not that long a go...(less than 10 years) i'd be more specific but you never know who's on the forum =P (i don't think spys, just old mentors or whatever hah)

You can of course appeal which under a section 2 or 3, but you are on their terms, their time-frame, it's not like you appeal and then a decision is come to - it's a whole tribunal where in my experience the decisions made are pretty random. Patients who came in on 136....so often they'd be let go the next day, or day after.

I've honestly witnessed, even been part of assessments where delusion isn't part of the reason of section, but also cases where (not under section as was a nurse assessment) but where the RMN felt the person was too unwell (she expressed suicidal thoughts but not intention) so basically forced the patient to go informally to a psychiatric ward then they were later sectioned (as they tried to leave), the person did not want to go but was left with the impression they did not have a choice (and clearly they didn't), i don't know what happened after that.

capacity was mostly around 90%, i've been on units where it was 50% full, some 100%.

I'm not suggesting they're all section mad, i just mean that there's a fair few where that route seems the safest for them to make and choose to use it often.

Make's particularly interesting reading for me this, since I've been examining the possibility of starting (probably) that very same course to become a psychiatric nurse for the last few weeks.

No but you did mention conspiracy or even a concocted story for a section. The important element is the risk to safety. That is the key. But once a section is undertaken there is a great deal of transparency and accountability, even with a nurses holding power. The reason a Tribunal is important is that it immediately comes under the Justice system, and the sectioned person is allocated an advocate and a legal representative. Personally I think the Mental Health Act often provides more protection for a person than PACE. But just like PACE it us open to abuse. I started training during the implementation of the Mental Health Act and before Care in the Community and that was a time that a great deal if abuses where made.

But to answer some of your original points. I someone is doing harm due to their belief is that not a cause for intervention, especially given the spectra of community options available? As to the Government concocting a story, I find that implausable given the outside agencies that would be involved.

No but you did mention conspiracy or even a concocted story for a section. The important element is the risk to safety. That is the key. But once a section is undertaken there is a great deal of transparency and accountability, even with a nurses holding power. The reason a Tribunal is important is that it immediately comes under the Justice system, and the sectioned person is allocated an advocate and a legal representative. Personally I think the Mental Health Act often provides more protection for a person than PACE. But just like PACE it us open to abuse. I started training during the implementation of the Mental Health Act and before Care in the Community and that was a time that a great deal if abuses where made.

But to answer some of your original points. I someone is doing harm due to their belief is that not a cause for intervention, especially given the spectra of community options available? As to the Government concocting a story, I find that implausible given the outside agencies that would be involved.

discussion of conspiracy by government isn't the reason for the topic and to be fair creating a narrative which can lead to section would be difficult to achieve, i *can* imagine ways it can be done, the most obvious and easiest is having two people with section powers do the work for you.

I find it most interesting that you feel the process is transparent? the paper work involved is massive and is always available, but the actual decision making it's self can be pretty arbitrary and usually always decided over a cup of tea; the discussion is not recorded as to the why's, only then documented later. the two can often be different, e.g. person looks disturbed and the house is very messy (main reason the section was done) but on paper, you have to dance around it, expand on the dozens of questions and pretend it wasn't decided within the first 2 minutes.

As for intervention.... i find it interesting the perceptions people have; generally the spectra of community options are highly lacking, big waiting lists for involved therapy OR drugs and dribs and drabs in-between; i believe wards are the LAST place anyone, seriously ill or otherwise should go (Unless the person has no other option and will absolutely do something tragic), the entire environment ('least the ones i've seen) is not therapeutic and induces the 'worst' aspects of a persons illness (aggression, suicidal feeling). GP services, in my own and others experiences again; the main route they offer is drugs, anything else is like trying to convince the offy to let you of a fiver.

I don't know, towards the end i seriously felt that abusiveness was at the very core of what i was being taught to do; the worst kind where on one hand your offering compassion while with the other you've got the keys; i saw plenty of times where if i was spoken to in the way that some patients are, patronized, marginalized - I would of lashed out and thrown that chair, or that punch in frustration, only to have cooled down 5 minutes later to find 5 nurses at the door waiting to give you a nice big dose of shut the fuck up....

HappyMonday....My views are extreme generally, i've tried raising these issues with people who were on the course with me, i only know of one other out of 12 or so i've spoken this plainly with about it who feel the same as i do, if not worse. most agree that drastic changes are needed non the less. I don't know if i could offer any advice other than see if you can volunteer in some capacity on at-least 2 psychiatric units and do a good week of it.

HappyMonday....My views are extreme generally, i've tried raising these issues with people who were on the course with me, i only know of one other out of 12 or so i've spoken this plainly with about it who feel the same as i do, if not worse. most agree that drastic changes are needed non the less. I don't know if i could offer any advice other than see if you can volunteer in some capacity on at-least 2 psychiatric units and do a good week of it.

I'm on the 'not' side about the course, mentally, at the moment. I don't think I have the temperament.

A very good friend of mine has been a nurse for years, I've gotten the impression it's a fairly overwhelmed service with not enough resources and a dangerous reliance on big pharma. That's just the modern medical establishment in our country generally though, I think.

As for conspiracy theorists reactions to being challenged or debunked, the fact is that any argument about things which people believe has a likelihood of making that person's belief stronger. I don't see why this wouldn't hold true with confrontational psychiatric interventions, which does create a difficult conundrum.

I've seen this on Twitter, where I'm partly responsible for turning a relatively sedate, if paranoid, CT believer into 'Mr Chemtrails UK'.

There's a fine line between the benefit of a public statement, and pushing these guys further into their bias.

christ, Mr chemtrails UK lol.

The temperament you need is a patient one really and not rising to others heightened emotions, especially when aimed directly at you.

so a shrink, huh? how long did you see each patient? did you ever help anybody? most people are the way they are for a reason and most shrinks dont get paid enough to find out what that reason is. all they care about is if the person is dangerous to himself or others. even then they dont hear it when they TELL you what they plan to do! has anyonenoticed that most all these guys that seem to just go crazy all of the sudden and shoot up a place, almost EVERY person TOLD people what they planned to do! did anyone listen? eh..
hindsight 20 20? nope. not if you dont learn anything.
every shrink should know a few key phrases that should taken VERY seriously...
'what do i have to do to get your attention?'
'they think im so stupid, ill show them.'
im sorry but your too much like the mental health docs here that have their head up their butts.its to the point their paycheck isnt worth going to work for anyway. most shrinks are more crazy than the folks they are supposed to be helping.
have you ever sat with a patient for more than an hour even though another had an appt? no? then dont be a shrink! when you dont care it shows big as hell to the person that actually does need you . they need you to listen and act like you care.nobody wants to spill their guts to a different doctor every 6 months.if your not gonna stick around, then dont open pandoras box. if you open it and walk away, you just released a monster into the world..

so a shrink, huh? how long did you see each patient? did you ever help anybody? most people are the way they are for a reason and most shrinks dont get paid enough to find out what that reason is. all they care about is if the person is dangerous to himself or others. even then they dont hear it when they TELL you what they plan to do! has anyonenoticed that most all these guys that seem to just go crazy all of the sudden and shoot up a place, almost EVERY person TOLD people what they planned to do! did anyone listen? eh..
im sorry but your too much like the mental health docs here that have their head up their butts.its to the point their paycheck isnt worth going to work for anyway. most shrinks are more crazy than the folks they are supposed to be helping.
have you ever sat with a patient for more than an hour even though another had an appt? no? then dont be a shrink! when you dont care it shows big as hell to the person that actually does need you . they need you to listen and act like you care.nobody wants to spill their guts to a different doctor every 6 months.if your not gonna stick around, then dont open pandoras box. if you open it and walk away, you just released a monster into the world..

My neighbor used to be a psychiatrist with a big Manhattan hospital. He switched to working in finance about 5 years ago, because he said mental health had the lowest pay and the lowest patient compliance rate. He said it was a very frustrating field. I understand exactly what was talking about 1. from reading conspiracy theorists and "targeted individuals" posts, and 2. from my own father in law, who was manic depressive and stayed on his meds and with his doctor untill he diagnosed himself as "all better, don't need that". Then he'd have temper tantrum after raging temper tantrum, till my mother in law would talk him into going back to the doctor. Rinse-repeat-rinse-repeat till he finally, mercifully, dropped dead.

My neighbor used to be a psychiatrist with a big Manhattan hospital. He switched to working in finance about 5 years ago, because he said mental health had the lowest pay and the lowest patient compliance rate. He said it was a very frustrating field. I understand exactly what was talking about 1. from reading conspiracy theorists and "targeted individuals" posts, and 2. from my own father in law, who was manic depressive and stayed on his meds and with his doctor untill he diagnosed himself as "all better, don't need that". Then he'd have temper tantrum after raging temper tantrum, till my mother in law would talk him into going back to the doctor. Rinse-repeat-rinse-repeat till he finally, mercifully, dropped dead.
Some very good points raised. I have a distrust of the medical profession and their dominance over mental health. Everything revolves around the medical model and the idea that all "mental illness" has a biological basis. To be frank I have even thought that there are elements of the medical profession that have conspired to maintain the professions' dominance in mental health. This has been recently with the publication of the recent edition of a tool called the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" (DSM-V) http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx Now this is a major bit of kit used in mental health especially by psychiatrists and is used as a reference text in legal proceedings, yet in the formulation of the latest edition consultations happened behind closed doors. As I understand it various lobby groups have been able to make representations over various issues and these have included pharmaceutical companies. However what is now classed as a mental illness has been widened and it now includes things like grief. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allen-frances/jon-ronson-ted-talk_b_2978686.html To me grief is a perfectly natural condition to be in as are others and it does make one wonder as to why it would be included. Who actually benefits? Already the text has had major critics since its release a few weeks back such as the NIMH http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/side-effects/201305/the-nimh-withdraws-support-dsm-5
I know it sounds quite mad but I do have visions of a group of men sitting around in smoke filled rooms planning the future of mental illness, all for their benefit.

for one thing, going to mental health as a patient, you would have one doc to talk to about whats going on in life, ( for no more than an hour) then you would see another doc to get your meds. so you have to explain yourself twice. then other docs would say that your 'story sounds rehearsed' well, duh. its because you have to tell a bunch of people the same thing in a more condensed version each time.

Some very good points raised. I have a distrust of the medical profession and their dominance over mental health. Everything revolves around the medical model and the idea that all "mental illness" has a biological basis. To be frank I have even thought that there are elements of the medical profession that have conspired to maintain the professions' dominance in mental health. This has been recently with the publication of the recent edition of a tool called the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" (DSM-V) http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx Now this is a major bit of kit used in mental health especially by psychiatrists and is used as a reference text in legal proceedings, yet in the formulation of the latest edition consultations happened behind closed doors. As I understand it various lobby groups have been able to make representations over various issues and these have included pharmaceutical companies. However what is now classed as a mental illness has been widened and it now includes things like grief. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allen-frances/jon-ronson-ted-talk_b_2978686.html To me grief is a perfectly natural condition to be in as are others and it does make one wonder as to why it would be included. Who actually benefits? Already the text has had major critics since its release a few weeks back such as the NIMH http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/side-effects/201305/the-nimh-withdraws-support-dsm-5
I know it sounds quite mad but I do have visions of a group of men sitting around in smoke filled rooms planning the future of mental illness, all for their benefit.

Pardon my ignorance, but what other "basis" is there for illness?

my opinion? things that happened to them as a kid that absolutly tramautized then and they pushed it down inside and hid this shamefull thing and never dealt with it. or there are actual medical reasons the brains not right, most they dont know about yet. most drug addicts are self medicating, i dont know why some people get hooked when others dont. but they are medicating that thing inside them they been ignoring forever. thats what i 'read' from people unfortunatly most are not prepared to deal with it. they want to but it cant be done in an hour.
but nowadays, ( im going to sound real old right about now) peoples brains/thought process are different. its not nature vs nurture ( did i do that right? my eyes suck) but people are now born without empathy. i dont know why.

Pardon my ignorance, but what other "basis" is there for illness?
There are many models for the basis of mental illness which biological (biomedical) is just one. I believe greatly in the Biopsychosocial Model http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biopsychosocial_model but I tend to lean more towards the social aspects and the works of people like R.D Laing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._D._Laing Essentially the biological model claims it is all biochemical, the psychological as been hard wired and the social model it is down to environment, family and society. BPS combines the 3. Unfortunately at present mental health practice is purely focused on the biological aspects

Isn't it obvious, or maybe I'm naive, that envrionmental/social influences would then cause changes or imbalances in the brain? So yes chemical communication in the brain can be treated but it's not the first cause of the behaviour, it's a reaction to environment.
Understand the consequences of, and fix, the society, and you treat the illness.

your both right, kinda. what needs to be done to actually help the person is to LISTEN to the person. they will tell you what is wrong , most just dont hear them because they are too hung up with complicated studies that are accurate, but those studies only apply to a very small few. people are different. they grew up different. nobody is the same. so the studies understands the dude they studied, ok, cool, its a start, but dont be thinking its a fix for all. and as far as meds, they admit your a guinea pig, they give you pills based on what your alergic to ( so they dont give you something your alergic to) they give you pills based on what worked for this dude.if your violent or hear voices they give you something to make you go night night. so duh the person wont take it. the studies dont work if the person lies about taking their meds. also do the studies look at health to be sure their body works right? after my hysterectomy, i went into surgical menapause and my body had to totally readjust itself. ( it went smooth for me, i went into with the right attitude) .but take that same dude 20 years later and his body chemistry, his thought process will be different. core values never change. but the way you act depends on the people around you. its a 'living in society' thing.
do the studies take in mind what the person eats/drinks? eating different foods different times of day will change your body.
basicly my point is you can take all these things into consideration. and that would take WAY too long!
the way to help someone is to listen and help that person for that persons problem. listen and act like you care. once they trust you they will tell you.now i get that opening those floodgates may not be something your fixing to do forever, i get that. but the person will tell you whats wrong. when people are angry thats when truth comes flying out. everything they accuse you of is their deep down fear.the brain is trying to resolve this so it can be cleared out then move on like a computer runs scans, updates, and delets files, your brain does too.
it almost always boils down to somebody did something real mean to them when they were young. scared them to the core, if they were shamed as well, that ones deeper. ( how do i know this crap? i dont. its my opinion only. for some reason, people seem to 'find' me , ill met them someplace, all i do is say hellp and people have started spilling their guts.or they absolutly hate me. their the ones that have the problems. i know i sound insane. but i think you have to be a little crazy to help crazy)
ok. ive rambled here, so feel free to diagnose me, ill actually listen.
i do appreciate this forum, lucky you guys, these are things ive never talked about.

Mmm. I disagree with a great deal of your assumptions, but that is not to say they are wrong. I am extremely cautious to say previous life experiences are a sole causative factor. I do agree with the fact that people need to be listened to more. I am lucky in that the Primary Care Trust I live within in the UK has a very pro active attitude to mental health. Mind you I have really extreme views in mental "illness". To me it is society that declares whether a person is ill or not, and that definition changes all the time.

things may be different in UK than here, here they ignore anybody 'broken'. may i ask what makes your views extreme? i know if they cant hand you a pill and poof your fixed now, then your ignored. people post on youtube every day detailed plans on how and why they are going to kill people! nobody listens.. and then everybody gets all up in arms ' why didnt anybody see this person needed help?' good question. he did tell you he was going to...
so what are your views on things? clearly USA is not doing things right

things may be different in UK than here, here they ignore anybody 'broken'. may i ask what makes your views extreme? i know if they cant hand you a pill and poof your fixed now, then your ignored. people post on you-tube every day detailed plans on how and why they are going to kill people! nobody listens.. and then everybody gets all up in arms ' why didn't anybody see this person needed help?' good question. he did tell you he was going to...
so what are your views on things? clearly USA is not doing things right
I can relate to what your saying here Mustang. There have been many instances here that no one listened to what an "impaired" person had to say, nor were they even remotely worried about it. I live in a rural town here in Texas where things dont normally happen, but there have been some cases where bad things happened because people didn't listen to what they were told. In one case, and i knew both people from casual meeting. The guy told people he was gonna kill his girlfriend if she left him. His father that is very well off, kept him out of jail on various occasions. He ended up killing his girlfriends best friend because she told his G/f that she should leave him. Again people didn't listen, and the parents didn't think he was capable of doing what he said he would do.

Back