Maui Wildfires

2) It was done deliberately so people could buy property and set up a "smart city"
Source: https://twitter.com/DarrenPlymouth/status/1690373825647853568

What is the evidence for that?
"It doesn't look like a fire to me. It looks like something almost exploded."
SmartSelect_20230814-092203_Samsung Internet.jpg
• How does something almost explode?
• How you you fake a wildfire?
• How do you rig and set explosives off inside a wildfire zone, while avoiding cameras and firefighters?
• Some types of cars can explode.
• Car tires will burst/explode in a fire.
• A bomb should leave shrapnel and punctures. The evidence will be obvious to investigators when the fire is put out.

The claim has no evidence going for it, only misplaced incredulity (and credulity).
It defies common sense.

What is the evidence for that?
"It doesn't look like a fire to me. It looks like something almost exploded."
SmartSelect_20230814-092203_Samsung Internet.jpg
• How does something almost explode?
• How you you fake a wildfire?
• How do you rig and set explosives off inside a wildfire zone, while avoiding cameras and firefighters?
• Some types of cars can explode.
• Car tires will burst/explode in a fire.
• A bomb should leave shrapnel and punctures. The evidence will be obvious to investigators when the fire is put out.

The claim has no evidence going for it, only misplaced incredulity (and credulity).
It defies common sense.

And an explosion would have an inverse-square-law attenuation of its effects away from its centre. (And if the generic you is going to gallop in the direction of "so there were multiple charges, spread out all over the area", you've made the problem of hiding this even harder - more prep, more explosions to record, more evidence left behind.)

One thing that jumped out whilst listening to that was how similar the style of rhetoric was to that of Tucker Carlson. I think it was the "hm" at ~46s in that really drew my attention to that. Basically a sequence of beads, embedded dog-whistles (e.g. "reset"), with just vague questions to tie them together. I'm sure, if pressed, he's "just asking questions".

And an explosion would have an inverse-square-law attenuation of its effects away from its centre. (And if the generic you is going to gallop in the direction of "so there were multiple charges, spread out all over the area", you've made the problem of hiding this even harder - more prep, more explosions to record, more evidence left behind.)

One thing that jumped out whilst listening to that was how similar the style of rhetoric was to that of Tucker Carlson. I think it was the "hm" at ~46s in that really drew my attention to that. Basically a sequence of beads, embedded dog-whistles (e.g. "reset"), with just vague questions to tie them together. I'm sure, if pressed, he's "just asking questions".
He probably just meant to say "It almost looks like something exploded". Deliberately or not.

He probably just meant to say "It almost looks like something exploded". Deliberately or not.
No, what he meant to say was, "it looks a lot like something exploded", because that's the only consistent message with "it doesn't look like a fire to me".

"almost" means it doesn't.

One more inflammable fluid: The brake system is a hydraulic system full of brake fluid. Most of this system uses inflexible tubing. But there's one part of the system that needs to use flexible hoses. The wheels are part of a suspension system. They move up and down, and the front wheels also steer. Therefore rigid tubing wouldn't do, and the brakes are connected to the rest of the system by flexible hoses. The hoses are easily damaged by fire and once they've burned away or been damaged by fire, they leak inflammable brake fluid on or near the wheels. The tires also burn which both heats and insulates the wheels (note that tires and wheels are two different things). Aluminum or magnesium wheels will readily oxidize and/or melt.

Still another inflammable substance: The wheel bearings are packed with grease. So called brake fires: The actual ignition will be caused by the temperature of the brake parts getting hot enough to burn the more flammable brake fluid or grease inside the wheel hubs.

A more detailed talk about gasoline: Cars have a gas tank which is typically made of steel. But other components of the fuel system are made of plastic. Once these parts are damaged, gallons of gasoline leak out beneath the car and contribute to the fire.

Last edited:
No, what he meant to say was, "it looks a lot like something exploded", because that's the only consistent message with "it doesn't look like a fire to me".

"almost" means it doesn't.
Well, I don't know what he meant, and frankly I really don't give a damn.

I lived in New York during hurricane Sandy, cars caught fire during that (I was told it had to do with seat warmers getting wet and the electronics going off). If a car can catch fire in a massive storm, then catching fire in a wild fire shouldn’t be surprising.

You should be suspicious when you see a wildfire start in the middle of town.
Have you ever been in Lahaina? It's an old town full of wooden buildings, spread out at the base of an open mountain slope with nothing to stop the winds, in excess of 60 MPH on that day. A bit of windblown burning debris from the fire on the outskirts would be sufficient.

Have you ever been in Lahaina? It's an old town full of wooden buildings, spread out at the base of an open mountain slope with nothing to stop the winds, in excess of 60 MPH on that day. A bit of windblown burning debris from the fire on the outskirts would be sufficient.
My point is that a fire that starts in the middle of town is reported as a town fire, not a wildfire.

My point is that a fire that starts in the middle of town is reported as a town fire, not a wildfire.
I thought it started near Lahainaluna Rd. which is on the edge of town.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/28/...a fire began about,area known as “Upcountry.”

The Lahaina fire began about 6:37 a.m. Aug. 8, near Lahainaluna Road on the hill above the downtown, according to the county lawsuit. It was fueled by strong winds that swept violently down from atop Haleakala, a heavily forested, mountainous area known as “Upcountry.”

I thought it started near Lahainaluna Rd. which is on the edge of town.
Yes.
Article:
subsequently, a power pole was snapped along Lahainaluna Road, across the street from the Lāhainā Intermediate School near the northeast side of town.[64]

A three-acre (1.2 ha) brush fire was reported at 6:37 a.m. HST (UTC 16:37) as the downed power line sparked flames to dry grass near the road.

SmartSelect_20230831-233109_Maps.jpg

Compare the space laser video in the OP:
SmartSelect_20230831-233241_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes.
Article:
subsequently, a power pole was snapped along Lahainaluna Road, across the street from the Lāhainā Intermediate School near the northeast side of town.[64]

A three-acre (1.2 ha) brush fire was reported at 6:37 a.m. HST (UTC 16:37) as the downed power line sparked flames to dry grass near the road.

SmartSelect_20230831-233109_Maps.jpg

Compare the space laser video in the OP:
SmartSelect_20230831-233241_Samsung Internet.jpg
My point is it is not the middle of town but the edge where there appears to be plenty of fuel. Plus that video is not Maui but Macul Chile.
https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-hawaii-maui-wildfires-chile-dew-434395550756

Last edited:
Back