"Mars will be as big as the Moon" no, it won't.

Leifer

Nealy every year around August, this claim appears.....

Mars will be as big as the Moon

http://www.scienceinfo.news/july-27-2018-the-planet-mars-will-be-as-big-as-the-moon/

mars_moon-660x330.jpg

Even though there are several other sources disproving this idea, we still see it appearing as a phenomenon ....perhaps because of clickbait, or perhaps from un-researched re-posts on social media.

The included doctored photo helps to reinforce these ideas.
But it is misleading.....
I found this repeated idea by an FB friend, and several others re-posted it (shared) as if it was a true fact or event.

But interestingly, we could see "Mars at Opposition" in celestial terms.
Here is the explanation, and what to look for in late July.... as it is timely and a semi-rare event...
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/bruce-betts/mars-opposition-lunar-eclipse.html[/EX]

Last edited:

Graham2001

Dr Stuart Robbins over at the Exposing PseudoAstronomy podcast did an entire episode (118) devoted to this email, including how he thinks the story got started. Below is a link to the show notes for that episode.

Episode 118 - The Big Mars Hoax / The Two Moons Hoax

http://podcast.sjrdesign.net/shownotes_118.php

Trailblazer

Staff member
Dr Stuart Robbins over at the Exposing PseudoAstronomy podcast did an entire episode (118) devoted to this email, including how he thinks the story got started. Below is a link to the show notes for that episode.

Episode 118 - The Big Mars Hoax / The Two Moons Hoax

http://podcast.sjrdesign.net/shownotes_118.php
From the transcript: "I have a hunch that we might see a surge in these chain e-mails come the lead-up to July 31, 2018."

Mars is pretty spectacular low in the southern night sky at the moment, BTW (at least from my location in England) but anyone expecting a second moon will be pretty disappointed.

scombrid

I was out collecting fish on a dark spot on the river one night last week. Mars was bright enough to be visible though a thin alto-stratus deck of debris left over from the day's thunderstorms. Sadly it wasn't as big or bright as the waxing crescent moon that was headed over toward the western horizon.

Z.W. Wolf

The site that is linked to in the OP, and where this Mars story appears is satirical, with many broadly comical stories. Very much similar to The Onion. In short, the Mars as big as the Moon story is not serious. It is satirical.

http://www.scienceinfo.news/about/

JFDee

It is correct that Mars' brightness peaks at the moment. That may have been behind the idea of the article.

From
http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/why-is-mars-sometimes-bright-and-sometimes-faint

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I myself saw a weird bright red ball in the sky while driving in the early morning. "That's odd I thought. That seems way too big to be Mars". But it obviously was, I was just unaware of the closeness of Mars. I've also had two friends ask me what it was, and I've seen many questions online

So even though the claims about it being "as big as the moon" are false, this is actually something that people are noticing by themselves - quite different to the Supermoon thing.

Z.W. Wolf

Mars is in opposition and at its perihelion (closest to the Sun).

It's at it's best at about 1:00. You'll see it, not too far above the horizon, due south. It's just to the left of the teapot asterism of Sagittarius and the brightest part of the Milky Way; while Saturn is the salmon colored planet right in the middle of the MW. Too bad there's a big, fat Moon right in the middle of this. Wait a few days and the Moon will get out of there.

There's no hope of seeing the MW unless you're in a dark sky area, but Mars and Saturn are bright enough to see even from a supermarket parking lot.

There will be a lunar eclipse soon. All of Australia, all of Europe, and the eastern part of South America will see totality. North America will not.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2018-july-27#

Last edited:

JFDee

The Moon and Mars last night.
This photo seems to have been taken with an astronomical telescope. The actual view with bare eyes or binoculars was rotated by 180 degrees.

Fairly spectacular though, those two red apparitions so close together. Mars being low over the horizon (SW Germany) and the long dry spell causing a dusty atmosphere probably amplified the red color considerably.

In earlier times this most certainly would have prompted some seriously dark prophecies.

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Explained: "Lizard Found on Mars Rover" [Dust Removal Tool] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 8
J So I know this isn't actually Nibiru, but what actually is it? [Probably Mars] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
H Triangle in Mars Curiosity Image [Panorama Stitching Artifact] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
Mark Barrington Claim: Rock with "appendages" on Mars is an alien or fossil UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 24
Mick West Debunked: Pyramid on Mars [Small Rock] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 16
N Debunked: Nuclear cloud on Indian Mars Orbiter image Conspiracy Theories 29
Hevach Debunked: Curiosity repair man [Rover arm in retracted position] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 15
Graham2001 'NASA worker' claims to have seen humans walking on Mars in 1979 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 7
JesseCuster Debunked: Humanoid skull found on Mars. [Rock] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 25
Sagittarius Debunked: Mars "Levitating" Rock [optical illusion, two rocks] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 10
Joe Debunked: Blurred NASA image on Mars [Stitched in part of the Rover] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 13
Mick West Debunked: Celtic Cross on Mars [Impression from Screw Head on X-Ray Spectrometer] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 31
sgirl New NASA pic of what looks like old ruins on Mars UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 22
Balance NASA photo captures strange bright light seemingly coming out of Mars General Discussion 39
Mick West Debunked: Giant Bird In Flight On Mars Caught In NASA Billion Pixel View UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 31
Mark Barrington Jelly Doughnut Rock on Mars UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 79
Rroval Man Claims Mars Space Station Discovered On Google Mars (VIDEO, POLL) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
Oxymoron Lol... Chemtrailing Mars? (And other random theories) Conspiracy Theories 21
Mick West Saturn + Spica + Mars = Triangle UFO? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 6
Mick West Debunked: Alien Base on Mars: "Bio-Station Alpha" UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
J Strange lights on picture of the moon during "Blood Moon" [Stuck Pixels] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
I Moon moving "faster" than clouds Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
R Claim: Apollo 15-17 Live TV Feed - Antenna signal would be interrupted from all the violent shaking when Astronauts touch the buggy General Discussion 26
Getoffthisplanet [Fake] UFO's Casting Shadows On The Moon - "OVNI sur la Lune , 2020-03-26" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
Nandude Light Fall Off in Apollo Missions - American Moon Documentary Conspiracy Theories 16
A Debunked: NASA tampered with the original television audio of the Apollo 11 moon landing Conspiracy Theories 1
A Debunked : Fake Set Moon Landing with TV Camera and Stairs Conspiracy Theories 3
Staffan Debunked: Wikileaks releases unused footage of moon landing (Capricorn One movie scenes) Conspiracy Theories 2
Mick West Recording ISS Transits of the Sun and Moon Flat Earth 4
mudr0 Claim: Australia was not visible from the moon for Apollo 11 Broadcasts Conspiracy Theories 7
Z.W. Wolf Claim: Moon Passing The Meridian Disproves Globe Earth Flat Earth 0
Rory Debunked: The Lunar Cycle affects birth rates Health and Quackery 26
Rory Debunked: Study shows link between menstrual cycle and the moon Health and Quackery 30
Astro Identifying Sun and Moon Transits Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Multiple UFOs Fly Across Moon- Birds? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 17
Mick West Explained: Mysterious Red Planet Like Object Filmed Next To The Moon. Atglen [Reflection] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
F WHAT IS THIS LINE? (on my Super Blue Blood Moon Photo) - Smarter Every Day 188 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Mick West Plane Flies in Front of Super Blue Blood Moon Eclipse Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Rory Dublin Moon and sun in same sky disproves Spherical Earth Flat Earth 16
txt29 Apollo 17: alleged inconsistency of shadows Conspiracy Theories 34
Jared Some proof The Moon is not it's Own Light Source Flat Earth 2
nickrulercreator [Debunked] Apollo 14 Flag Waving Before Ascent? Science and Pseudoscience 21
HoaxEye 6 Giant Towers discovered on the Moon [Digital Artifacts/Glitches] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 33
Mick West Explained: Moon Terminator/Shadow UFOs UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
Trailblazer Measuring the distance to the moon with laser reflections and the speed of light Flat Earth 5
Abishua The Moon Tilt & Terminator Illusions Flat Earth 54
drhex Explained: Apollo 17 Photo of Earth from Moon Seems too High Conspiracy Theories 16
C Interesting observation of moon light phenomena i can't find the answer to ???? General Discussion 4
Whitebeard Contrail on Moon Disc? Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West Explained: Why Clouds Appear Behind the Sun and Moon Flat Earth 58
Related Articles

Related Articles