Low Flyer

ĕrēmīta

I was working on Bransholme in Hull and a very low flying plane came over and then back again. I couldn't get on to flight tracker at the time and it didn't look like a passanger plane. I tried to retrieve flight data for that day but couldn't is there a way to do it?

Attachments

• 20150211_141804.jpg
    20150211_141804.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 393
Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I thought. Plus it's probably not as low as you think, at least 2000ft I would guess. I often see planes coming into land at Bristol Airport and at the point I see them, they are still at least 2000ft up. These look a similar size than this does.
A C17 is 53m long and an A319 is 33m long so the C17 is actually bigger, therefore might be even higher to look the same size.

Sites like Flight Radar 24 allow you to go back and look at a previous day's flights.
HOWEVER, The C17 is military and is unlikely to be using an ADS-B transponder, therefore it will only show up if at least 4 FR24 receiver stations can pick it up. This usually means over about 4000-5000ft up in the air, so there is a reasonable chance it might not show up.

What date and time did you see it?

The aircraft's tail looks to me more like that of C5 Galaxy rather than C17, but it is difficult to distinguish in such a small image.

Not sure if they still do, but the RAF used to train with C-17s at Humberside Airport. I saw them (usually a while after hearing them!) a few times when I used to work over there three or four years back.

Ray Von

Yes it is a C-17 Globemaster III.

An aviation enthusiast logged RAF C-17 serial ZZ173 active over the East Coast of the UK on the 11th February using virtual radar SBS.

15:46:18 RRR6605 43C173 P-77 ZZ173 36000 4741 Boeing C-17A Globemaster III Royal Air Force/99 Squadron

SBS LOG 11/02/15 EAST COAST
Content from External Source
Likely you have to be a member of Fighter Control to access the log?

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=110133

http://www.radartutorial.eu/13.ssr/pubs/SBS-1ProductSpec.pdf

Image of ZZ173

http://www.planespotters.net/Aviation_Photos/photo.show?id=188887&size=l

Yes it was the 11th at 2.18pm. I know from reading on here planes look further away than they actually are but wow. I was slow with my phone I am afraid it honestly felt about the same height as the police chopper that had been flying about in the morning, going by the difference in size. The lady I was working with got slightly worried the second time over thinking they maybe decided to bomb Bransholme (not the most lovely area of Hull).

Yes it was the 11th at 2.18pm. I know from reading on here planes look further away than they actually are but wow. I was slow with my phone I am afraid it honestly felt about the same height as the police chopper that had been flying about in the morning, going by the difference in size. The lady I was working with got slightly worried the second time over thinking they maybe decided to bomb Bransholme (not the most lovely area of Hull).
There is nothing wrong with Bransholme.

Sorry... the houses and layout do leave a lot to be desired. I work all over Hull and East Riding, I find Bransholme confusing and bland, some lovely people though very friendly (if you want to buy drugs, joke).

Sorry... the houses and layout do leave a lot to be desired. I work all over Hull and East Riding, I find Bransholme confusing and bland, some lovely people though very friendly (if you want to buy drugs, joke).
We lived in a YDG maisonette when I got married, just as they were starting to demolish them. It was certainly a culture shock as I am from Hessle.

I am from Hornsea but have friends all over Hull, Bransholme is one place I have never spent any time and I was pleasantly surprised to be honest. Hull has it's problems armed police out more than once a week for a few months but there is good and bad everywhere. I met a retired nurse battling with fly tippers to keep her garden pretty and then a group of yobs smoking Jamaican cigarettes in a front garden!! I visited Manchester centre for the first time over Christmas for the football stayed in Beetham Tower what a view, you get to see how large Manchester really is!

This is widely off topic but maybe it is good that some readers see we are real people. I lived near the Humber Bridge (most of my youth watching it been built). I went to Trinity House School and my dad sailed on the last trip on the Artic Corsair which is now a museum. I trained as a nurse at De La Pole and Broadgates and studied my first degree at Hull. However, one day, I just had enough. We lived on Hessle Road and we moved to Manchester. That was 15 years ago and I am planning a move back. I really miss the Humber. Sorry I have had one to many and will stay away from this ;-)

Well thank you and yes you are right it is good to know more about people I regularly come on here to read but don't join in as sometimes I feel the level of conversation is to high for me. I have signposted a lot of people to this page some it has helped some not. I think that the world we live in is not transparent and that the internet can be a dangerous thing and this website is a shining light. Small world really you may well have come across my Nan in De La Pole bless her she had vascular dementia a constant source of horror and humour rolled into one! I hope you make it back, personally I can't imagine not being by the sea something new to see on every visit. I will stop now as you say very much off topic. Thank you for the responses everyone.

do you think it would have reassured her if you'd said, "Don't worry love, if they decide to bomb us they will use Tornados and you will never see or hear them coming till it's late"?

do you think it would have reassured her if you'd said, "Don't worry love, if they decide to bomb us they will use Tornados and you will never see or hear them coming till it's late"?
You won't see or hear them at all....

Last edited:
Back