Lorde conspiracies

MikeC

Closed Account
Is she really from New Zealand?? And she can't possibly be 17.....

Seriously - there are people who are suggesting this...perhaps it should be in debunking humour!!

For those not familiar with Lorde she is also known as Ella Yellich-OConnor, and is a 17 yr old New Zealand Schoolgirl who won 2 Grammies yesterday for her song "Royals"....current speculation here is whether she will return to school this year! :)

New Zealanders call themselves Kiwis? I love this site. learn something new and weird everyday.

Yeah - after a small flightless bird unique to these islands, not the fuzzy green fruit :)

By way of a grammar lesson the sentence "Kiwis eat roots shoots and leaves" (which they do not) is sometimes used to illustrate the correct use of commas....if the audience is old enough! :cool: (put commas in a few different places....see if you can figure it out :D:D:D)

By way of a grammar lesson the sentence "Kiwis eat roots shoots and leaves" (which they do not) is sometimes used to illustrate the correct use of commas....if the audience is old enough! :cool: (put commas in a few different places....see if you can figure it out :D:D:D)
theres no such thing as roots shoots either? ok too much learning for one day :rolleyes:

Is she really from New Zealand?? And she can't possibly be 17.....

Seriously - there are people who are suggesting this...perhaps it should be in debunking humour!!

For those not familiar with Lorde she is also known as Ella Yellich-OConnor, and is a 17 yr old New Zealand Schoolgirl who won 2 Grammies yesterday for her song "Royals"....current speculation here is whether she will return to school this year! :)

I'm not sure the Gawker piece and some of the comments if cites are being entirely serious, but,

"Side question: Is Lorde even actually from New Zealand? Did you hear her accent at the Grammys? What part of New Zealand is California in?"

as a native speaker and lifetime resident, I'd say anyone questioning Lorde's accent authenticity isn't all that familiar with the UnZed accent, or how difficult it can be for non-speakers to pull it off convincingly. Even australians have trouble imitating it . To me her accent sounds exactly like that of an NZ teen who has been spending a bit of time in the states. As a teen on a trip to LA I found myself unthinkingly adopting local phrases and pronunciations after only a few days, let alone the amount of time Lorde has spent there at an age when her accent is still going to be easily malleable. And while her performance is one thing, anyone who watches her Grammy acceptance speeches and concludes she is anything but a teenager needs a better frame of reference :) .

Still, it's a bit of fun for a Wednesday afternoon. I've never been a huge believer in the Grammy's as an institution, but as a music fan (and admittedly a Lorde fan, despite being miles away from her supposed demographic), I've really enjoyed watching the way "Royals" has built and become it's own thing since I first heard it as a local no-hype quietly released single back in late 2012.

Last edited:
This is pretty weird.

It's satire, but, why?

http://snoopman.wordpress.com/2014/...s-wings-lordes-real-grammy-speech-suppressed/
By Iggy Swind

6 February 2014

Also see Snoopman News for the inside story behind Lorde’s meteoric rise, “Queen Bee Mentor: The professor who fed Lorde’s mental buzz”, and “Lorde’s Suppressed Grammy Award acceptance speech (Full Transcript)”.

Mental chain reaction

The singer-songwriter Lorde shocked USA America’s music industry when accepting her second miniature gold-coloured gramophone for the night at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday January 26 2014 in Los Angeles, California. The shock was not because the singer-songwriter won two Grammy awards, Best Solo Pop Performance and Song of the Year, for her hit single ‘Royals’.

Rather, it has emerged that Lorde delivered a lecture-like speech that was a scathing indictment of global capitalism. But, the apparent ‘live’ broadcast had a one-minute delay and was switched to a ‘rehearsal take’ that had been shot earlier.

“Can we not imagine that in past times”, said Lorde, eyeing her music contemporaries in the front rows, “simple folk found it hard to work out exactly how they were being manipulated by the Royal monarchies, and the Papal monarchy, who claimed a ‘divine right to rule’? Ordinary people from classical times, through to the demise of the Ancien Regime could not see how the rivalrous network of elites and oligarchs were linked, not least because the illiterate masses were indoctrinated to believe in their humble lot, to obey divinely-endorsed authority and to live in fear of damnation.”

Hiveman, who was once married to Overlord, sniggered when he heard Overlord “try to spin” Lorde’s speech into a marketing opportunity for Limelight to exploit the ‘Lorde-look’. “Does Cynthia Overlord really believe that Lorde’s purple finger-nails have the magic to solve Aotearoans’ inter-generational malaise”. (Upon divorce, Cynthia Hiveman resumed the use of her family name, Overlord).

Journalist Iggy Swind has worked alongside reporter Clark Kent at the Daily Planet and photojournalist Peter Parker at the Daily Bugle. Swind’s investigations proved both super-heroes work undercover for the Hollywood media cartel to distract mass audiences with their mediocre ‘saving the world’ action sagas, leaving those that run the world at-large. Those investigations have been suppressed.
Content from External Source

that's Suncorp Stadium...Brisbane, Queensland.....AUSTRALIA .......just another cheap attempt by Aussies to claim New Zealanders as their own!!

But you can keep Russell Crowe.....

:cool:

Joking aside, there is actually a conspiracy theory about Lorde. A rather ridiculous one, I suspect coming from some hyper-sensitive post-modern faux-feminist camp, that her song Royals is highly racist. Try and wrap your head around that.

http://feministing.com/2013/10/03/wow-that-lorde-song-royals-is-racist/

Yeah that made a wee fuss down here when it was posted. The blogger is framing things from a very particular viewpoint, and it falls over because it takes no account of the pop-cultural environment in NZ (and many other places besides including the US) that Lorde grew up immersed in and is responding to. "Royals" is not racist in any respect. If anything the blogger is racist for perpetuating stereotypes.

Lorde takes it to the Westborough Baptist Church - who are planning on protesting her concert in Kansas -

WBC says it wants "to warn the living", because the 17-year old New Zealander, real name Ella Yelich-O'Connor, "doesn't have enough sense to put in a thimble".
The church's poster says Lorde carries an "idolatrous attraction for worthless human royalty".
"[Lorde] spends her time, energy and talent serving herself and teaching other young people how to be indolent rebels," it says.
- which also shows they have no idea what the song "Royals" is actually about!!

This is gold :D:

everyone try to kiss church members who are same sex as you they will so love it christmas comin early in kansas city~
— Lorde (@lordemusic) March 18, 2014[/quote]

:D

not the fuzzy green fruit

BTW, did you know that kiwi fruit uses more than its own weight in aviation fuel to get from New Zealand to Europe? :D

(Start at 14:10 couldn't find a brief relevant clip. This wonderful show is hilarious and well worth a full watch, however).

Back