KC-135 Over Sacramento

yeah, persistent contrails all day. I don't bother to take as many pictures of them as I used to but I saw a couple that made big deviations in their flight paths that I want to check out

This was flying NW around 3PM (From Shingle Springs). Made a bit of a turn.
20161103-170652-5uuxw.jpg

It was a military tanker, KC-135. It did not show up on FR24.
20161103-170902-bc8wo.jpg
20161103-171207-6geye.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't had time to look it up but here's my photo. Since the time stamp is 3:01, it could well be the same one you saw. I was at Lake Natoma (22 miles east of Sacramento), looking west, and it started northward and then deviated NE.16-11-03 trail- (13).JPG

Yeah, that's the same flight - I was facing west. The turn is more apparent from your perspective. Probably not very much though, the perspective foreshortening makes it look 10x the angle.

Travis AFB seems too close for leaving contrails over Sacramento. Also, it hosts KC-10s rather than KC-135s.
Could it be out of Edwards AFB (418th Flight Test Squadron)?

Hard to say for sure. The KC-135 has a huge range without cargo, so it could have been visiting somewhere, or doing some kind of training or testing. It's relatively uncommon here - however I'm sure there are more, as it's hard to ID from the ground. We do get relatively few four engined planes making contrails over here though.

Back