Debunkers, Skeptics and Conspiracists: Where are you on the political compass?

Holely (see what I did there?) Molely (again? I make myself laugh)....

Can't recover....I'm out.....

(edit) BUT....wOw!!! AND I thought I was "special". Congrats!!!
Special how? LOL.... Honestly, I would say about 95% of the charts I've seen have all been in the lower left "green" area of the chart. Nothing special about that, even @Joe ended up in the green area, LOL...

I was. Completely honest, to the questions as posed. Some of the questions could have been better phrased, though!

"I'm coming for you!...to understand the political spectrum."...."PHRASING!!!"

(From "Archer":)....and, this is meant as humor, so apologies in advance):

AND yes.....I "lean" to the left. I mean, my tailor asks which way, and I say "To the left"....and, well......

I was. Completely honest, to the questions as posed. Some of the questions could have been better phrased, though!

"I'm coming for you!...to understand the political spectrum."...."PHRASING!!!"

(From "Archer":)....and, this is meant as humor, so apologies in advance):

AND yes.....I "lean" to the left. I mean, my tailor asks which way, and I say "To the left"....and, well......

Well its cool. see that the majority of the people on this kind of pages are center left. What is really bad is authoritarian - Totalitarian.
I have always defined myself as a Liberal, from the Right . And I find myself politically correct because I also hate Monopoly -oligopoly ,Corporativism (Facism) and defintely I am against comunism.

Same quadrant but from memory I've drifted slightly right and up from the last time I did it

Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.69

about 5-6 years back

Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.0

I feel slightly surprised at my results! I've always identified (and voted) as Conservative

chart.png
Strange, I consider myself more right-wing. That's also the result I commonly get from these kinds of tests. I guess it depends on how the questions are presented..

Strange, I consider myself more right-wing. That's also the result I commonly get from these kinds of tests. I guess it depends on how the questions are presented..
You are not alone. I think the origin of the coordinates in this diagram is a decoy, the real one is in the centre of the green quadrant. Add 5 to each of your results to reclaim you right wing authoritarian position :)

That something like 90% of these have landed in the green quadrant makes me quite dubious.

Sure, a debunking website attracts a non-random demographic...but I still suspect that this tool must be skewed.

Almost none of our posters are in the top half of the diagram, and the very rare occurrence of someone landing
in the red, blue or purple boxes seems to be just barely.

Disclaimer: I myself haven't taken it yet...partly because of time...but mostly because I'm a big coward...

Sure, a debunking website attracts a non-random demographic...but I still suspect that this tool must be skewed.

I tried taking it pretending to be very socially conservative, free-market, right-wing, small government, patriot, but not stupid, and got:

So it's certainly possible to get into other quadrants.

That something like 90% of these have landed in the green quadrant makes me quite dubious.

Almost none of our posters are in the top half of the diagram, and the very rare occurrence of someone landing
in the red, blue or purple boxes seems to be just barely.

Disclaimer: I myself haven't taken it yet...partly because of time...but mostly because I'm a big coward...
I got basically the opposite of munchies. same area in the blue. but the questions were really weird. ...many that I didn't like any of the choices as an answer,

and I kept fluctuating between "my" ideals and "realistic" ideals.. meaning what was realistic for global humanity not just me. Oddly my 'realistic ideals' are more liberal bent. but I'm not mega conservative. so I don't know.

I tried taking it pretending to be very socially conservative, free-market, right-wing, small government, patriot, but not stupid, and got:

Hmmm...then I guess it's a good thing that this isn't a website about politics,
'cause we'd be making nothing but left turns!

Sure, it is possible to get into other quadrants pretending to be somebody else, but that somebody is likely to think differently. You did it before pretending to be Joe and putting him in the blue (#3), but Joe's own test result was in the green, along with the absolute majority of the self-tested metabunkers. As I said before, the origin of the coordinates does not represent the central point of political opinion spectrum, the actual central point appears to reside near the centre of green quadrant.
Look at their UK General Election 2015 chart that places different UK parties according to how their supporters are supposed to think:

Despite having my results in the green quadrant, I am definitely not a Green Party supporter and doubt that the majority of the UK members here are going to vote for Greens on May 7, 2015.

Funny... I always thought I was more of an apple guy...

Attachments

• 7-180212 (2).jpg
    7-180212 (2).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 658

But seriously, I thought I would have been a bit more Libertarian but overall the results match my internal rating.

What does it mean? To me it's a deceptive test. There were some impossible to answer questions imo.

Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95

To me it's a deceptive test. There were some impossible to answer questions imo.

I concur. I think it really needs a "neutral" or "not sure" answer option for all the questions. Not sure if its completely fair to force you to either agree or disagree.

Last edited:

I like to think of myself as centrist... I usually support the major centrist party in Canada (the Liberals) though this time around I'm wavering between the Greens and the NDP (the social democracy party).

In principle I'm more of a social democrat, but in practice I try to avoid blindly dogmatic opinions by reading academic research on the subject in question; in the process, I sometimes find that the centrist or conservative position is better-aligned with the bulk of empirical findings.

However, I don't think it actually matters all that much who's elected, as right-wing governments often wind up leaving very 'left-wing' legacies and vica-versa. For some very brief examples, consider:

Menachem Begin - former PM of Israel; leader of the far-right Herut Party and ex-terrorist - returned the Sinai Peninsula (almost two-thirds of the land under Israeli control at the time) to Egypt in return for the historic peace treaty;

Richard Nixon - former US President; 'conservative' Republican - ended the Vietnam War, established diplomatic relations with communist China, and instituted wage and price controls across much of the economy;

Fernando Cardoso - former president of Brazil; avowed Marxist - sold off SOEs (state-owned companies), encouraged international trade and investment, and eliminated regulations; and (this one's my favourite):

Ronald Reagan! - former US President; demigod to the right wing of the right-wing Republican Party, and inspiration of the uber-conservative Tea Party! - left as his legacy a very soft foreign policy that favoured engagement and rapprochement with US enemies (at least in his second term; shades of Obama?); increased government spending (both in absolute terms and as a share of GDP); and a sky-high deficit. Reagan left a right-wing legacy as well (deregulation and lower tax rates for the upper brackets) but even there, government revenue (which in the US is mostly synonymous with tax revenue) as a percentage of GDP rose and he was outdone by Bill Clinton (a Democrat) in deregulation.

Back