Debunked: Eating animal protein causes living worm in your colon

WavedRhyme

if you watch the video you will see what appears to be surgery opening a colon and removing tons of worms, the guy talking about it is a one winged vegan who is biased and recieves alot of critisicm and dislike on pretty much every video but is there any truth in this that eating animal protein can cause a mass of living parasites in your colon? sounds disgusting!

Looks like Ascaris lumbricoides, a large roundworm parasite.

Epidemiology
More than 2 billion people are affected by this infection.[3] In the United States there is a reported prevalence of 0.8% of the total population as of 1987. Ascaris lumbricoides eggs are extremely resistant to strong chemicals, desiccation, and low temperatures. The eggs can remain viable in the soil for several months or even years.[5]

Eggs of A. lumbricoides have been identified in archeological coprolites in the Americas, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and New Zealand, the oldest ones being more than 24,000 years old.[6]

Infections
Main article: Ascariasis
Infections with these parasites are more common where sanitation is poor[7] and raw human feces are used as fertilizer.
Content from External Source
I don't believe this would anything to do with eating meat specifically.

And the Hygiene theory says the absence of worms may be responsible for the rise in auto immune diseases.

The bunk here is that eating a vegetarian of vegan diet can prevent infection. There is nothing at all to suggest that, and indeed a common source of infection in developing countries is via dirty vegetable.

What is show is a worm bolus, an uncommon complication of infection, and noting to do with eating lots of meat.

The suggestions that it's a meat eating bodybuilder seems unsubstantiated, and irrelevant. Here's a similar video showing worms being removed from a three year old child:

Besides the question I've always had for vegans is where do they get all of their complex B vitamins? I thought some of those can ONLY come from an animal source. While there are some conditions associated with overeating meat, there are also conditions of not eating enough like anemia.
And for the life of me, why is it abuse to use milk? If we stopped using cattle for their meat and milk and skins, we would stop simply raising them. Since they cannot survive in the wild, they would die off if left to their own devices. So in a way vegans are advocating the total genocide of cows, at least in countries outside of India.
I also had a total nutter for a boss trying to tell people in the company newsletter that eating meat is unnatural, that it wastes water, etc, etc. That guy had lots of issues. Small surprise his company had so much turnover. No one wanted to work with a crazy vegan with anger control issues.

But
Trichinosis, also called trichinellosis, or trichiniasis, is a parasitic disease caused by eating raw or undercooked pork or wild game infected with the larvae of a species of roundworm Trichinella spiralis, commonly called the trichina worm.
Between 2002 and 2007, 11 cases were reported to CDC each year on average in the United States;[2] these were mostly the result of eating undercooked game, bear meat, or home-reared pigs. It is common in developing countries where meat fed to pigs is raw or undercooked, but many cases also come from developed countries in Europe and North America, where raw or undercooked pork and wild game may be consumed as delicacies.[3]

The typical life cycle for T. spiralis involves humans, pigs, and rodents. Pigs become infected when they eat infectious cysts in raw meat, often pork or rats (sylvatic cycle). Humans become infected when they eat raw or undercooked infected pork (domestic cycle). After humans ingest the cysts from infected undercooked meat, pepsin and hydrochloric acid help free the larvae in the cysts in the stomach.[10] The larvae then migrate to the small intestine, where they molt four times before becoming adults.[10]

Thirty to 34 hours after the cysts were originally ingested, the adults mate, and within five days produce larvae.[10] The worms can only reproduce for a limited time because the immune system will eventually expel them from the small intestine.[10] The larvae then use their piercing mouthpart, called the "stylet", to pass through the intestinal mucosa and enter the lymphatic vessels, and then enter the bloodstream.[7]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis
Content from External Source

You beat me to it Pete although I will add that T. spiralis are only a few mm in length and you tend to find them in the muscles. Watch out for undercooked pork ribs.

Back