Claim: sticker "glitched" in real life. Fake video or could have other explanation?

Okay. I was very hesitant about posting this since it's just a couple of seconds clip, until I thought: well, metabunk guys are usually so informed, anda they like to discuss and exchange opinions, so I guess despite not being a big statement.

The fact is that I was reading random things on reddit, until I entered the well-known "Glitch in the Matrix" forum. I occasionally read the anecdotes posted there for sheer entertainment, but this one in particular caught my eye as it included a "proof video".

Here is the original post:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Glitch_in_the_Matrix/comments/slga0o/how_is_this_possible/

Additionaly, here's only the YouTube link to the video:
https://youtube.com/shorts/v8lXnDa25sg?feature=share

Well, in theory, the video clearly violates the laws of physics, which is why Occam's Razor overwhelmingly points in one direction here.

I originally thought it was a reverse video but a user did the work of reversing it and it really doesn't seem to be the case to me, the hand movements become quite unnatural in that case.
Here is the reversed video by "PleadianPalladine" user: https://kapwi.ng/c/SfgxMe6yqn

After a personal analysis of the frames, the video at a glance seems to fulfill its mission to support the claim of "Glitch in the Matrix" (although I am not an expert in image), however, it is necessary to consider that the video does not It has a good quality, which together with the simple white color of the sticker also provides a favorable setting for a relatively simple edition.
It's even a bit strange that someone engraves a sticker for no reason, but that's already subjective.

What do you think? Is there any other "mundane" explanation for what was observed? Just a simple video editing? Either this guy just proved the simulation theory once and for all ;0 (jk)

Kind of looks like a previously ripped off piece got stuck to the thumb.

vlcsnap.jpg

The next swoop might have reapplied it, perhaps in its original spot if the hand and arm movements were similar enough? Like the motions you'd go through if you were working away at the same bits.

You can see that some of the sticker is ripped off during the second attempt because it goes from
1644315815151.png
to
1644315855743.png

What is happening likely is either the second attempt re-adheres some of the corner and then tears off a little bit from the top, or some previously ripped part stuck to the thumb reattaches.

You can see from the small bits missing at the top the sticker is hard to remove.

Attachments

• 1644315749372.png
    1644315749372.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 1644315782542.png
    1644315782542.png
    7 KB · Views: 145
Okay. I was very hesitant about posting this since it's just a couple of seconds clip, until I thought: well, metabunk guys are usually so informed, anda they like to discuss and exchange opinions, so I guess despite not being a big statement.

The fact is that I was reading random things on reddit, until I entered the well-known "Glitch in the Matrix" forum. I occasionally read the anecdotes posted there for sheer entertainment, but this one in particular caught my eye as it included a "proof video".

Here is the original post:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Glitch_in_the_Matrix/comments/slga0o/how_is_this_possible/

Additionaly, here's only the YouTube link to the video:
https://youtube.com/shorts/v8lXnDa25sg?feature=share

Well, in theory, the video clearly violates the laws of physics, which is why Occam's Razor overwhelmingly points in one direction here.

I originally thought it was a reverse video but a user did the work of reversing it and it really doesn't seem to be the case to me, the hand movements become quite unnatural in that case.
Here is the reversed video by "PleadianPalladine" user: https://kapwi.ng/c/SfgxMe6yqn

After a personal analysis of the frames, the video at a glance seems to fulfill its mission to support the claim of "Glitch in the Matrix" (although I am not an expert in image), however, it is necessary to consider that the video does not It has a good quality, which together with the simple white color of the sticker also provides a favorable setting for a relatively simple edition.
It's even a bit strange that someone engraves a sticker for no reason, but that's already subjective.

What do you think? Is there any other "mundane" explanation for what was observed? Just a simple video editing? Either this guy just proved the simulation theory once and for all ;0 (jk)

To me it just looks like the video is being played in reverse.

Kind of looks like a previously ripped off piece got stuck to the thumb.

vlcsnap.jpg

The next swoop might have reapplied it, perhaps in its original spot if the hand and arm movements were similar enough? Like the motions you'd go through if you were working away at the same bits.
Hmm, that could be the case.

Approximately at what moment of the original video does this capture correspond?

If you mean the beginning, it makes sense, since then he places his hand on the sticker and that part "reappears", although it would imply some tricky skill with his hands because the movement certainly does not look like re-adhering something, but who legitimately seems to pick up a piece of paper. At the end of the video you can see a large piece of paper in his fingers at the same time that the sticker paper reappears, so (assuming this is the actual chronological order of the video) if he did put something in, he necessarily had to remove something at the same time...

You can see that some of the sticker is ripped off during the second attempt because it goes from
1644315815151.png
to
1644315855743.png

What is happening likely is either the second attempt re-adheres some of the corner and then tears off a little bit from the top, or some previously ripped part stuck to the thumb reattaches.

You can see from the small bits missing at the top the sticker is hard to remove.
I agree with that, so far that was the most reasonable explanation I found without adjudicating that the video may be fake.

I had my doubts about it since I wasn't sure if the shape of that raised corner of the sticker would have that shape, and if even worse, it would fit exactly with the edge of the sticker. Unfortunately, this is another one of those things that the quality of the video does not allow to judge in depth...

Approximately at what moment of the original video does this capture correspond?

If you mean the beginning, it makes sense, since then he places his hand on the sticker and that part "reappears", although it would imply some tricky skill with his hands because the movement certainly does not look like re-adhering something, but who legitimately seems to pick up a piece of paper. At the end of the video you can see a large piece of paper in his fingers at the same time that the sticker paper reappears, so (assuming this is the actual chronological order of the video) if he did put something in, he necessarily had to remove something at the same time...
Things like this stick to your fingers without intention, glue/static etc the sticker is designed to adhere to things and be difficult to remove.

To me it just looks like the video is being played in reverse.
The problem with the video in reverse is that if it were true, the beginning would be this:
76 sin título_20220208121800.png
The subject would have a piece of paper in his hand, the sticker would be complete, and when he placed his hand on it in a certain strange movement that would not correspond to "tearing off", the sticker would be missing a piece.

Anyway, I put a link to the video in reverse above.

Things like this stick to your fingers without intention, glue/static etc the sticker is designed to adhere to things and be difficult to remove.
Certainly an unlucky crease could have done it. Another point of uncertainty that I failed to mention originally is that, obviously, we do not know the specific characteristics of the sticker... Even the poor quality of the image sometimes makes its contour vary, like in the final.

One major thing that strikes me is that if there was video of like 1 second before this video starts (i.e. the first attempt we don't see) then it'd be much more obvious what happened.

Maybe the missing second is also a glitch in the matrix.

So my impression is that this part is part of the sticker that is folded up slightly, the grab is attempt to peel it off from here, but there's not enough purchase so it only gets a small part and the rest gets stuck back down.

1644336359165.png

it's a magician type trick, you can tell by the position of his fingers (which is not the position your fingers would be in to peel a sticker) and the odd turning of his whole hand to cover our view.

when he turns his hand after this point [screengrab below] and covers the whole view he is pushing the previously curled up edge back down and folding the bit higher up. he doesnt remove any paper off the sticker at any point. if there is something in his hand at the end it is something he is palming (maybe a bit of wet papertowel to make the trick easier).

in this grab note the odd finger position. his thumb is resting on the side of his finger between the first and second knuckle. and both are way too far left to be grabbing the sticker at this point (not that you can grab a sticker without any finger ends.

1644336515092.png

It might be deliberate trickery, but not necessarily. Stickers, especially old ones, can easily delaminate so that one layer comes off but others stick. And static could flop it back into position, if it's a plastic sheet.

Forgive me for coming in late, but was there ever any explanation for why someone
would be filming such a prosaic activity? Absent a decent reason, I'm much more
likely to invest a little time, looking for trickery...

On the other hand, it would not be too difficult of a task to rotoscope the white piece in there for these small amount of frames we have.

Forgive me for coming in late, but was there ever any explanation for why someone
Noting the content of the sticker, there might be a political motivation.

It's from the first couple of frames, about 0.2 secs in.
Seems like a happy accident to me. Start nibbling at sticker - piece of it comes off and sticks to thumb - video starts - try to remove folded up bit just above now-stuck-to-thumb piece's former place - in doing so thumb piece gets deposited in its old resting place - huh what an odd video.

it's a magician type trick, you can tell by the position of his fingers (which is not the position your fingers would be in to peel a sticker) and the odd turning of his whole hand to cover our view.

when he turns his hand after this point [screengrab below] and covers the whole view he is pushing the previously curled up edge back down and folding the bit higher up. he doesnt remove any paper off the sticker at any point. if there is something in his hand at the end it is something he is palming (maybe a bit of wet papertowel to make the trick easier).

in this grab note the odd finger position. his thumb is resting on the side of his finger between the first and second knuckle. and both are way too far left to be grabbing the sticker at this point (not that you can grab a sticker without any finger ends.

1644336515092.png
Interesting observation. This is what I meant when I thought it was possible that the person had a particular skill with tricks like this.

On the other hand, it would not be too difficult of a task to rotoscope the white piece in there for these small amount of frames we have.
Yep. Think about it, a short video of good quality, a decent edition, worsen the recording quality to hide any clues and that's it. You get your Glitch in the Matrix video.

It was always an option, but I thought it would be fun to consider other alternatives too.

Of course, other good suggestions came to the thread.

Some people are just naturally curious about Unexplained Adhesive Phenomena.

Yup, fully concur. My partner and I like to watch Penn & Teller's /Fool Us/, and whenever we see positioning or a movement like that we wince. You peel with the finest pincer action, not a whole fist. Was a silver dollar produced at the end?

You’d think there would be more complicated things happening within the matrix that would cause it to glitch.

You’d think there would be more complicated things happening within the matrix that would cause it to glitch.
The idea of the "everyday" Glitches in the Matrix from my point of view are the classic ghost stories but modernized, and they present many practical, scientific and philosophical inconsistencies, but it is not the point.
It was just a question because I was curious to see what others thought of the video (and it really is weird to see a "proof" of anything on that subreddit).

Some people are just naturally curious about Unexplained Adhesive Phenomena.
Well, I know you're joking...and I appreciate that.

But the question still remains: Before there was any Unexplained Adhesive Phenomena, someone began recording...why...unless a little bird told
them that something unusual was about to happen with that sticker...?

Well, I know you're joking...and I appreciate that.

But the question still remains: Before there was any Unexplained Adhesive Phenomena, someone began recording...why...unless a little bird told
them that something unusual was about to happen with that sticker...?
We could speculate about reasons; my job includes removing stickers as I clean the train and my boss has been claiming I'm not doing it, I get mad about soft vandalism and like to post to social media when I clean it up, I post everything I do to social media and this was a thing I did, I have a weird sticker-peeling fetish and like to relive my conquests by watching the video again and again to get my jollies, i am the enemy of CD ACAB and want them to see thst I am tearing down their stickers, etc. And of course, given that something bizarre happened at all, maybe this is the second time it happened and they started videoing in case it happened again. So while I'd hesitate to attach too much weight to it.

We could speculate about reasons; my job includes removing stickers as I clean the train and my boss has been claiming I'm not doing it, I get mad about soft vandalism and like to post to social media when I clean it up, I post everything I do to social media and this was a thing I did, I have a weird sticker-peeling fetish and like to relive my conquests by watching the video again and again to get my jollies, i am the enemy of CD ACAB and want them to see thst I am tearing down their stickers, etc. And of course, given that something bizarre happened at all, maybe this is the second time it happened and they started videoing in case it happened again. So while I'd hesitate to attach too much weight to it.
Only on Metabunk would we have an immediate response, from someone
who actually removes stickers as part of their job (!) and sometimes films it! I didn't see that coming, but, as always, I'm grateful for the perspective. :)

Sorry; I was unclear. "I" in my previous post was just putting myself in the place of somebody shooting the video, stating examples of possible reasons why "I"/they might shoot such a video -- I've worked in some unusual jobs over the years but I personally have never been a subway de-stickerer.

Sorry; I was unclear. "I" in my previous post was just putting myself in the place of somebody shooting the video, stating examples of possible reasons why "I"/they might shoot such a video -- I've worked in some unusual jobs over the years but I personally have never been a subway de-stickerer.
Oh...so you were just fantasizing about your dream job. :p
No worries...

This is such a waste of time. :rolleyes:
Relax man, it's just an opinion thread about a video posted on reddit xD.

I know it's not a "wow so serious claim", but in any case, interesting answers were obtained from something simple, that's the good thing about forums like this one :D

While I was quick to mock the idea of documenting sticker removals I should probably have also mocked the idea of planning to make a glitch in the matrix video and coming up with the grand scheme of self healing stickers.

Backwards moving planes are sooooooooo last week. Corners of stickers is what all the kids are into these days.

I think it's just a bit of the sticker stuck to their finger.

I can even imagine it happening and when not paying much attention everyone would be amazed by what happened and what they saw. I could imagine being quite excited about it until watching it back again more carefully and seeing what actually happened. Gutted. But cut the obvious bit out at the start and we can pretend it really did happen like we thought.

Back