Too Big to Fail... Too Big to Jail

I find it to be a problem that you equate what the Taliban did with what the Nato forces did.

No we are not perfect and some of our troops have been VERY wrong---it is unfortunate, but mental illness and cruelty shows up there as well on the streets of Aurora and Newtown.

I am stopping my typing now, before I violate the politeness policy

Not that I am sticking up for the Taliban, because I am definitely not, but here is a potted history from your Wiki link about their beginnings.

Meanwhile southern Afghanistan was neither under the control of foreign-backed militias nor the government in Kabul, but was ruled by local leaders such as Gul Agha Sherzai and their militias. In 1991, the Taliban (a movement originating from Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-run religious schools for Afghan refugees in Pakistan) also developed in Afghanistan as a politico-religious force.[46] Mullah Omar started his movement with fewer than 50 armed madrassah students in his hometown of Kandahar.[46] The most often-repeated story and the Taliban's own story of how Mullah Omar first mobilized his followers is that in the spring of 1994, neighbors in Singesar told him that the local governor had abducted two teenage girls, shaved their heads, and taken them to a camp where they were raped. 30 Taliban (with only 16 rifles) freed the girls, and hanged the governor from the barrel of a tank. Later that year, two militia commanders killed civilians while fighting for the right to sodomize a young boy. The Taliban freed him.[46][47]
Content from External Source

I find it to be a problem that you equate what the Taliban did with what the Nato forces did.
As of 20 March 2013, there have been 3,172 coalition deaths in Afghanistan as part of ongoing coalition operations (Operation Enduring Freedom and ISAF) since the invasion in 2001.[1]
Civilian casualties are inestimable. Some suggest its past the million mark, some gauge it more along the lines of a few thousand/tens of thousands. Most all suggest their estimates are almost certainly low.

Death, pain and horror are death, pain and horror. Next to no one deserves them, and absolutely no society should feel it has the moral authority to inflict them on others, regardless of where they live, what they believe, or who has or hasn't given the thumbs up.

Back