Tip Vorticies - frequency by aircraft?

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.
So seeing as my job involves being outside for long periods under the glide path to one of O'Hare's shorter runways (9L/27R), I've had great opportunity to observe the various aircraft on approach. One thing I've noticed is the tendency of MD-80 variants to leave more and stronger tip vortices than other light aircraft*. Today one was trailing in a clear blue sky. Is there a particular design reason for this?

*e.g. ERJ-145 and 175, B737, A320, and Bombardier Challenger and Global families, among others.

MikeC

Closed Account
tip vortices are more common with narrow chord (front to back distance) wings, and are countered by winglets - the MD80 does have a particularly narrow wingtip, and winglets would be a refit on most of them I think - so they may not be fitted as commonly as on more modern types.

Also, and this is pure speculation on my part, having no engines on that wing means there is no "fence" part way along it to physically block spanwise airflow part way along.

MikeC

Closed Account
I should clarify that these are flap tip vorticies, not wingtip vortices.

Same points apply - in this case there is a single very wide span flap, whereas an air raft with wing mounted engines usually has its flaps in 2 sections - inboard and outboard of the engines.

That said flap tip vortices are very common, and I'm not sure you are really seeing any difference in frequency.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Marine0811 Plane trail at wings, none at engines? [Aerodynamic contrails, no flaps] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
JesseCuster Stripey clouds and the Brunt-Vaisala frequency Contrails and Chemtrails 3
MikeG Toxic Spraying and Radio Frequency Bombardment Contrails and Chemtrails 9
derrick06 Debunked: HAARP ELF waves causing a earthquake Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West The Growth of Photography, Photos per Year, and the Illusion of Frequency Practical Debunking 15
Willie The 440Hz tuning frequency conspiracy theory Conspiracy Theories 42
scombrid Debunked: Frequency Pulse Causes Snow in Wisconsin HAARP 2
Mick West Engine Efficiency, High Bypass, and Contrail Frequency - How much? Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Picard Aircraft impact Design for Twin Towers 9/11 11
Agent K Air Force E-11A Communications Aircraft Crashes And Burns In Afghanistan Current Events 7
Laser Curved Aircraft Window Distortion Flat Earth 11
inkwell American Airlines Flight 77 Aircraft Accident Package lists no. of Passengers/Fatalies as "Unknown" Conspiracy Theories 3
FlightMuj Explained: NASA documents stating a flat Earth??? Linear Aircraft Models Flat Earth 7
Trailspotter UFO with navigation lights, Drone or aircraft? [Low Flying FedEx 777] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
cmnit Ulrike Lohmann on aircraft exhausts chemicals Contrails and Chemtrails 3
C Strange Flickering in Contrail Video Posted in Earlier Thread [Focussing artifacts] Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Whitebeard EgyptAir flight MS804 Current Events 52
MikeC New Zealand CAA puts up "Aircraft Trails" page Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Mick West N8701Q Boeing 737-MAX 8 "Spirit of Renton" Testbed Aircraft Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Veronica! Odd Aircraft Explained: Powered Parachute Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West 1952 - Condensation Trails From Aircraft - With a 1937 Persistent Contrail Photo - Oldest Ever? Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Steve Funk Claim, C130 aircraft are spraying mysterious filaments. Contrails and Chemtrails 5
MikeC Aircraft weight and balance in the real world Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Balance Met Office - Case Study Contrail-induced Cirrus Contrails and Chemtrails 0
TWCobra AA77-Pentagon explosion plume compared to known aircraft fires 9/11 0
Mick West Debunked: MH370: Daily Mail claims new sonar images indicate aircraft debris Flight MH370 3
c.eileen Help to ID a plane? [N90 - FAA Flight Inspection Aircraft] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 30
TEEJ Belfast Observer Skywatch claiming that airliners do not appear on Flight Radar 24 - 10th March 2015 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
TEEJ Gary Cameron Clydebank, Scotland Video, 1st May 2015- Claim of aircraft not being on Flight Radar 24 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
ssfor27 Aircraft Caught "Spraying" over Key West Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Trailspotter A new way to stop the gridlock in the skies General Discussion 0
Efftup Disappearing Falcons near Bournemouth, UK [Limited MLAT Coverage] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 37
MikeC Convair 580 aerosol measurement probe array Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Asylumkid Deadly emissions? [1% contribution of aviation emissions to harmful air pollution] General Discussion 10
Rico Debunked: Dane Wigington's Undeniable Footage of Jet Aircraft Spraying [Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 42
Efftup How far away can I see an aircraft? Contrails and Chemtrails 26
Charlesinsandiego Another triangular aircraft, this time in Kansas [B2 Bomber] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 25
TEEJ Mystery Aircraft over Texas 10th March 2014 - Steve Douglass Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 114
T Debunk: Chemtrails leave no space between aircraft and the beginning of the trail. Contrails and Chemtrails 7
TWCobra Max Bliss debunked-Aircraft engine oil systems used to dispense Chemtrail chemicals Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Alchemist DEBUNKED - 9/11 aircraft black boxes weren't recovered 9/11 241
TWCobra Wigington/Max Bliss Debunked. Automated Chemtrail dispersal Commercial aircraft Contrails and Chemtrails 7
anonname Is this a chemtrail aircraft? Contrails and Chemtrails 15
CbIncus Calculations of Aircraft Contrail Formation Critical Temperatures (Mark L. Schrader) Contrails and Chemtrails 10
HappyMonday Anonymous Email from an aircraft mechanic (via twitter) Contrails and Chemtrails 37
TWCobra Effect of mid-range Mohs (hardness scale) Volcanic Ash on aircraft v Aluminium oxide Contrails and Chemtrails 14
Jay Reynolds Flight Tracking "Chemtrails" Aircraft Contrails and Chemtrails 39
Related Articles

Related Articles