Reddit kitchen ghost

McKing

On reddit a guy uploaded some pictures using night vision on his phone. Now he sees some human shaped thing in the kitchen when nothing was supposed to be there.

This was the original thread.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghosts/comments/11jvwy4/after_years_of_hearing_noises_from_the_kitchen_i/

And then this is the updated thread.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghosts/comments/11kezen/more_photos_from_the_same_night_compared_to/

Enhanced first picture

All pics

Source: https://imgur.com/a/Ghem2wW

Explanation from the comments ranged from homeless guy who broke in or lives in his tiny apartment, ai mistaken construction of a human shape or the things that are hanging on the wall making the human shape.
However, considering how there are multiple pictures with the "head" moving around, it seems unlikely to already have found a likely explantion.

To me it seems that if there isn't a simple solution found, that it likely is just a guy messing with reddit after he took a picture of his roommate in the kitchen.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Presumably, something like a “night mode” would take long exposures so anything that moved could leave a ghostly trail.

Funny, I would have expected Rasputin to rematerialize in a more salubrious location, but I suppose there's a shortage of Tsar's palaces in that area.

Was I supposed toes something? I've got some glare on my screen so maybe I missed it.
yea his girlfriend (or long haired male friend) a soul eating ghoul is bobbin around near the doorway. someone in the comments had lightened it up so its a bit easier to see.

Ah, found this on You Tube

"Ghost or squatter?", You Tube, retrieved 09/03/22
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/axcnWx0tAks

Note that the OP (reddit user "failedtalkshowhost") stated in his first post- which accompanied these pictures,
"After years of hearing noises from the kitchen, I caught this with Samsung's night vision."
Looks like daylight to me..."

Picture from reddit (my text added), retrieved c. 04:00 (GMT) 9/3/22
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghosts/comments/11jvwy4/after_years_of_hearing_noises_from_the_kitchen_i/

Capture 0.JPG

...And (my) screengrabs from the You Tube post, link as above:

Capture 1.JPGCapture 2.JPG

.....something seems to have been moved (indicated by the arrow) between shots, i.e. during the friend's ghost's visit.

Pure speculation on my part- maybe this was a rehearsal for the night-time material, which the OP uploaded by mistake.
Or maybe the OP is just a really, really bad faker.
Nothing unusual other than the OP's claim that it's a ghost. It's some geezer in a kitchen doorway (or is it now a portal ?)

Maybe his electrician's popped back in without telling anyone so he can re-align that wonky plug socket.

Indeed, there's clearly a light source, a table lamp or standard lamp perhaps, just behind and to the right of the camera. The dividing wall in the middle of the shot is clearly well lit, and anything just in front of it casts a very sharp shadow. Things slightly further away cast a clear but more diffuse shadow, and the further away you get, the more diffuse it is. The scene's clearly been set up and lit deliberately. Anyone prepared to lie about the those details can be presumed to be prepared to lie about all details. A case for the cylindrical filing cabinet and the poster has earnt warning signs against his reputation.

Indeed, there's clearly a light source, a table lamp or standard lamp perhaps, just behind and to the right of the camera.
He said on reddit there are really bright lights outside. (although i personally do think there are lights on in the bathroom)

someone in the comments had lightened it up so its a bit easier to see.
The lightened-up version looks a lot like a guy in a mask doing an interpretive dance in the dark.

One thing I don't get: he says he filmed the entire night. If so, that brings some problems to light:
1: How does his cellphone have enough storage for eight hours of video? Usually the "we filmed all night" videos on Ghost Adventures et. al. are done on cameras with huge SD cards. I don't know what model of Samsung phone this guy has, but that's a huge amount of data. He may be able to upload to a cloud, but even then Samsung only offers 15 gigabytes free: (https://www.samsung.com/africa_en/support/mobile-devices/does-samsung-cloud-provide-free-storage/)
15 GB of free storage is available for each Samsung account. The items listed below are included in the 15 GB free storage limitation.

1) Sync: Memo, S Note, Samsung Notes, Scrapbook, photos, and videos

2) Backup/Restore: Voice recordings, music, and documents
However, we provide unlimited storage for basic native applications such as Contacts and Calendar.
I don't think you can automatically upload video to that cloud, either, so he'd have to stream it. It's just weird. All this when he could have bought a security camera with true night vision and true motion detection pretty cheap on Amazon 1-2 days ago?

2: If he filmed the entire night and only caught this little clip, why did he cut off the video while the ghost was still doing ghost stuff? There's no logical explanation for that. The video starts, the ghost appears, the ghost does his little number, getting closer to the camera, then the video cuts while the ghost is still visible. What happened next?! Why would he cut valuable footage of a ghost? The only explanation I have is that the ghost is a real person, and something that gave it away occurred after the footage was cut.

3: The original footage is really hard to see. I didn't see anything in it until I saw the lightened version. If I can't see something in 45 seconds of footage, how was he able to see this in potentially hours of footage? It doesn't make sense, unless he only filmed it for a minute.

There are other contradictions in his story that the more skeptical members of the reddit have brought up, like his referring to having a live-in girlfriend now when he was complaining about the lack of "real women" on Tinder several months ago on the same Reddit account.

1: How does his cellphone have enough storage for eight hours of video?
i dont think that one is using night vision, it is much darker than the night vision pics, looks like a regular camcorder to me.

i agree with all your other stuff. yea, he should have thought his story through a tad bit better before he started speaking.
what i find most unbelievable, when people asked who was talking he said his gf (who lives somewhere else) and roommate were in the room (behind the camera i gather) watching tv. what girl would come over and hang out there with the lights off after seeing the alleged pics from the night before! ;P

(i too wonder if his gf fell off the stool she was standing on. unles the roommate is male and basketball player tall, whoever it is is standing on a step stool both nights. imo.)

he said his gf (who lives somewhere else) and roommate were in the room (behind the camera i gather) watching tv
He also claimed to have left his cellphone recording the video while he went out to get groceries. That means he left the house without a phone (who does that these days?) and he left his girlfriend in a haunted dwelling (which is so haunted they are moving out) with no way to contact him. Even if the roommate's there, who does that? What if she needed to add bread to the grocery list? What if there was a fire?!!

that's probably a bad idea. we know from the photos the ghoul loves bread.
I wasn't gonna bring up the bread issue, but yes, it's also odd.
To be devil's advocate a bit, the former could logically answer the latter.
I agree, definitely possible, but he'd have said that the battery died JUST as the ghost got close. It would have added spook factor. I think modern ghost enthusiasts generally agree that specters can do stuff like that.

I think modern ghost enthusiasts generally agree that specters can do stuff like that.
From what I've seen of "ghost in the kitchen" videos -- and why are ghosts suddenly spending all their time in the kitchen? -- mostly they open a cabinet, move something a few inches across the counter, open a drawer and toss some spoons out of the drawer.

Scarcely seems worth the trouble of dying and haunting a kitchen, just to do stuff that could be replicated by use of a bit of string... but I digress.

"Ghost or squatter?", You Tube, retrieved 09/03/22
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/axcnWx0tAks
This is the You Tube short in a playable form, just click the > in-frame.
As far as I can tell, there are just 4 frames/ individual pictures played on a loop.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG

Doesn't give us anything new as far as I can see.
The OP (on reddit) didn't elaborate on the "...noises from the kitchen", which might (or might not) have been interesting.

Nothing unusual other than the OP's claim that it's a ghost.
On reflection my statement (above) is in error- as far as I can tell the OP never claims that it's a ghost, or anything unusual, although arguably it is implied, not least by being posted on the subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghosts/, "Ghosts and The Paranormal" (I'd advise against visiting, it's mainly credulous rubbish IMO).
Nor does he say the "noises from the kitchen" are unusual or of interest, we are left to infer that.

The OP's subsequent posts add little information, other than him insisting (when others are asking about the pictures above, not the darker footage) that it was very dark, which is not credible, and (accessed from reddit, 10-03-23)
OP addn info accessed reddit 10-03-23.JPG

-which again leaves us to infer that there's something unusual. It might have a reputation for having a bright-painted front door. If the building had a reputation for strange or tragic occurrences, I'm surprised the OP didn't expand on this.

We don't know the OP's motivation, but he doesn't make explicit claims of having photo'd or filmed a ghost, and I don't see any evidence that the pictures show anything paranormal.

Back