Light source from the mirror

ParanoidSkeptic2

I came across this little oddity, a user on reddit said he experienced a bright light in the mirror however no other light source was present.

The video is 10 seconds long and it shows the light standing on the desk and the light which, allegedly, originated from the mirror.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ednbT6QY4CU&feature=youtu.be

Just for clarity, here is the picture of this alleged light

1610904910245.png
This is the description that the poster made on reddit:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Paranormal/comments/8op9ym/the_craziest_thing_just_happened_to_me_woke_up/

The craziest thing just happened to me. Woke up around 3 am from an annoying lamp light. In my sister's house, filmed on IphoneX, no other light sources were turned on in the room, and this is not a reflection. That was so surreal and weird.
Content from External Source
The OP makes it clear that it's not the phone as he allegedly saw it when he woke up.

The user has recorded 3 nights of this, only the first night was like this, the others were normal here's the second night at 12:05 am, I don't know if it's of any importance, the only thing different is that there is no orange kind of filter in the area

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rmYnh7s47w&feature=youtu.be

Here are some of the pictures the poster uploaded to show how the room looks like
1610904504156.png

A lot of people are saying it's paranormal, what I find odd is that in the first video, you can clearly see a shadow on the wall off of the lamp depite the user claiming there is no light source. Here's a comparison of the first and second night respectively.

1610904730525.png1610904852992.png

The poster said that the bright light was really bright and there were no other light sources in the room so it's just weird that firstly, there's an orange glow and, secondly, there's a light on the wall. Some people have suggested that the shadow may be from the mirror, however, wouldn't the shadow fall on the left and not the back wall?

People are saying they're seeing a ghost face under the desk
1610905057512.png
But I'm certain it's just pareidolia.

Also, if that happened to me, and I was proving there was no light source or anything, I would film the occurrence from every possible angle, I would zoom up to it and all that. The original poster claimed that he pegged it after seeing that, turned on all the lights and watched TV till morning.[/EX][/EX]

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the commenters on reddit did say this and it seems likely I think.

There is a light source behind OP, you can tell by the position of the shadow on the wall behind the lamp in the first shot (shows that the light source is behind OP, not coming from the reflection in the mirror). The room is very clearly illuminated with the same color light as that of the reflection. There is a mirror/reflective surface painted on the desk lamp behind the light bulb (probably a standard feature which helps refract light and increase illumination from low wattage bulbs) which is perpendicular to the mirror, thus the reflection of the out of frame light source is only visible in the mirror and not when the phone is pointed at the lamp from the side angle.

OP is bullshitting everybody by not disclosing the light source behind him/her which contributes to this optical illusion

shouldnt the angle of the glow be more like (pink line) if it was the bulb.. so it kinda has to be something reflecting off what looks like a glass lamp cover in the middle pic.
1610906708397.png

A lot of people are saying it's paranormal, what I find odd is that in the first video, you can clearly see a shadow on the wall off of the lamp depite the user claiming there is no light source. Here's a comparison of the first and second night respectively.

1610904730525.png1610904852992.png

The poster said that the bright light was really bright and there were no other light sources in the room so it's just weird that firstly, there's an orange glow and, secondly, there's a light on the wall. Some people have suggested that the shadow may be from the mirror, however, wouldn't the shadow fall on the left and not the back wall?
The fact that these two images are different colors, and the different highlights in the images, show that there's another light source illuminating the room. Here I've boosted the exposure by the same amount on both

2021-01-17_10-43-56.jpg

Notice differences:
2021-01-17_10-43-56.jpg

2021-01-17_10-49-06.jpg

Nothing really suggests the supernatural, as the extra light in the room is not just in the mirror. There's one highlight that's only visible from that angle, which which is either:
1) A reflection of a second light source only visible from that angle
2) The lamp itself emitting light (either dimmed, or residual LED light), only visible from that angle

One of the commenters on reddit did say this and it seems likely I think.

There is a light source behind OP, you can tell by the position of the shadow on the wall behind the lamp in the first shot (shows that the light source is behind OP, not coming from the reflection in the mirror). The room is very clearly illuminated with the same color light as that of the reflection. There is a mirror/reflective surface painted on the desk lamp behind the light bulb (probably a standard feature which helps refract light and increase illumination from low wattage bulbs) which is perpendicular to the mirror, thus the reflection of the out of frame light source is only visible in the mirror and not when the phone is pointed at the lamp from the side angle.

OP is bullshitting everybody by not disclosing the light source behind him/her which contributes to this optical illusion
I agree this seems the most likely. Although the OP might simply have not made the connection.

The desk lamp is set differently on the first night than it is in every other shot.
direct viewmirror view
first nightLightSource001.pngLightSource003.pngLightSource003a.png
second nightLightSource006.pngLightSource005.pngLightSource005a.png
room reference pictureLightSource008.pngLightSource007.pngLightSource007a.png

Back