Langenburg UFO 1974

johne1618

Banned
Banned
In 1974 Canadian farmer Edwin Fuhr was swathing his crop when he came upon five metallic saucers hovering a few feet above grass next to a small pond. He got off his machine and came within 15 feet of the objects. They were spinning fast counterclockwise. Eventually they rose up and shot off into the sky. They left grass circles with the grass pushed down in a clockwise fashion in a ring with grass standing in the middle.

Was he lying or victim of a hoax?

Here is a link to an in-depth 2017 local newspaper article:

https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatchewan/the-farmer-who-saw-and-the-mountie-who-believed

Here is an interview with Edwin Fuhr about the incident:

Source: https://youtu.be/nPoCQcs7dsQ?feature=shared

Last edited:
Was he lying or victim of a hoax?
There are alternate mundane explanations that don't involve malfeasance.
The absence of hard evidence or other witnesses means a "hallucination" of some sort can't be excluded.

As such, there's nothing to debunk: you either believe these objects were real, or they weren't.

Here is an interview with Edwin Fuhr about the incident:

Source: https://youtu.be/nPoCQcs7dsQ?feature=shared

The guy's quite correct when early on he goes on about how you can't see details on quickly spinning stuff, due to persistence of vision and motion blur, and that blinking can help freeze the moving thing long enough to see more clearly what it is. However, ts=755s, when he says he saw more than 4 ports, 6 or 7, kinda contradicting the previous claim of seing 4, the video producer overlays some text (ts=756s) saying "At a high rotation, the four "ports" may have appeared like more, with an inset window showing this effect. However, the effect being demonstrated is an aliasing effect caused by very brief exposures of the video camera - exactly unlike the human eye, which everyone has already agreed does motion blur. You can't explain things by adding nonsense.

He soon heads off into laws-of-physics defying stuff (lack of reaction forces, solid-material-breaking forces), so I stopped there.

Unreliable witness.

https://www.langenburg.ca/p/ufo-sightings
When objects flew away the grass in the centre of each circle was standing, while the grass surrounding that was flattened in a clockwise circle. Also, the place where they landed became extremely radioactive.
Content from External Source
I'd like to see a report on how that radioactivity was measured.

The area "became" extremely radioactive would imply they know how radioactive it used to be, and it has changed. So WHEN it was measured is also of interest.

The area "became" extremely radioactive would imply they know how radioactive it used to be, and it has changed. So WHEN it was measured is also of interest.
Well, technically, you'd want *two* measurements, before *and* after.

You mean like.....these things flapping in the wind. There are even versions of these tents that have a gap between tent and ground. I can imagine how, on a windy day, a breeze flowing over the tent might produce ripples that give the illusion of motion and rotation.

https://hotproducts.top/ProductDetail.aspx?iid=381884059&pr=84.88
And of course a tent on the ground would cause the grass to be flattened underneath it. I'm still trying to figure out how things could be "spinning counterclockwise" yet leave the grass flattened clockwise, unless he was looking up at the object and then down at the ground. Or was simply wrong. Or, as I think we always have to ask, was just making it up.

And of course a tent on the ground would cause the grass to be flattened underneath it. I'm still trying to figure out how things could be "spinning counterclockwise" yet leave the grass flattened clockwise, unless he was looking up at the object and then down at the ground. Or was simply wrong. Or, as I think we always have to ask, was just making it up.

If the craft was using the grass to provide its reactive force, then they would go in opposite directions.

Or the grass was just impacted by said force -- say it was jets of air, it would flatten the grass the other way without the grass being integral to the process...

Or the grass was just impacted by said force -- say it was jets of air, it would flatten the grass the other way without the grass being integral to the process...

Didn't he say it wasn't making a noise - which would exclude jets of air? He was also very close to it, and didn't mention any buffetting, which would be enormous to lift a craft several meters across. However, this whole thing violates the laws of physics, so there's little point applying science to the analysis.

Didn't he say it wasn't making a noise - which would exclude jets of air? He was also very close to it, and didn't mention any buffetting, which would be enormous to lift a craft several meters across. However, this whole thing violates the laws of physics, so there's little point applying science to the analysis.
The weird thing about UFO sightings is the silence often reported.
If it wasn't silent, this could've well been something like the Avrocar.
"11 feet across" is a fair estimate of its size.

Let's hope it wasn't by USAF Lt Col Charles Halt, deputy commander of RAF Woodbridge at the time of the Rendlesham Forest "UFO incident" of December 1980; he had one of his men carry a military Geiger counter during their night-time excursion on Dec. 28. Halt believed it showed heightened radiation levels in some areas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendlesham_Forest_incident

Halt's interpretation of readings is widely held to be mistaken, and perhaps indicative of him having less familiarity with the instrument used than he should have had- researcher Ian Ridpath gives a good account here,
"Were the radiation readings significant?",
http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham4.html

Some reports of UFOs and paranormal phenomena come with claims of physical evidence- radiation, or "molecular changes" in crop circle grasses, etc.
It's rare that the claimants identify the people or organisations that have made these findings, e.g. a named, currently-employed fire officer trained to use a Geiger counter, or a named member of staff of an identified university department.

There are alternate mundane explanations that don't involve malfeasance.
The absence of hard evidence or other witnesses means a "hallucination" of some sort can't be excluded.
In Scotland, 1979, forest worker Robert Taylor reported seeing a UFO above a clearing some 485 metres/ 530 yards away from him.
A number of smaller objects described as looking like sea mines (roughly spherical with some short "prongs" distributed around the surface, projecting perpendicularly) "rolled" towards him, somehow seized him and started to drag him towards the main object, when he lost consciousness.

The isolated rural location of Fuhr's report, and the presence of smaller rotating craft, put me in mind of Taylor's account.
Taylor returned home shaken, with torn, muddy clothing and grazes- police started an investigation into a possible assault.
Aspects of Taylor's account indicate he might have experienced an epileptic-type event; he had previously suffered from meningitis, increasing his chances of such an occurrence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Taylor_incident

This is impossible to solve. I've considered temporal lobe epilepsy, but there's no real evidence of that. And complex partial seizures don't leave physical traces.

Certainly not a dust devil. I've seen too many of those to believe that. They don't leave marks like that on the ground. If anything, they leave a wandering trail.

My best guess is that this is a flat out premeditated hoax.

https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatchewan/the-farmer-who-saw-and-the-mountie-who-believed

Later that night, Ron Morier, then a 27-year-old RCMP constable, got a phone call at the Langenburg detachment.

Fuhr’s brother-in-law Carl Zorn asked if the police had fielded any UFO reports. Zorn had heard of Fuhr’s experience in a phone call. Although the cop and the in-law were skeptical, both men thought there was little reason to think Fuhr would make up such a tale.

“He’s the last guy in the world that would. I mean he was a teetotaller. He’s a churchgoer, a very quiet, shy man,” says Morier.

A classic "solid citizen" fallacy. A very unimpressive opinion. But the article emphasizes repeatedly that Fuhr has always talked about his sighting over the decades with anyone who asks. (Lonnie Zamora, on the other hand, refused to talk after some years.)

What makes the solid citizen theory less credible is that Morier has himself become a buff about the case

A province away, at his Winnipeg home, retired Mountie Ron Morier also has a keepsake from the time when he and Fuhr and a small Saskatchewan town became an international sensation. “UFO Incident: Langenburg, Sask. Sept 1, 1974,” reads the cover of Morier’s black binder.

Lifting that cover feels like opening a secret document that should be stamped “classified” in bold, red letters. It contains a police report, newspaper clippings, faded photographs and letters from scientists with the Canadian government.

Morier jokingly calls it his X-File, a fitting nod to the sci-fi TV show that often focused on aliens, UFOs and the paranormal. It’s a treasure trove any UFO aficionado would covet.

Five circles fit with the same five objects Fuhr saw. Morier’s report says the flattened portion of the circles was approximately 18 inches. The total diameter of two of the circles was 12 feet, while the other three were 10.5 feet.
There was no physical evidence in the area that would indicate someone had driven in and made the circles.

“Whatever made those impressions in his slough there came from the sky and left the same way,” says Morier.

More unimpressive logic. Why would anything have to have been "driven in"? Why couldn't these simple marks have been made by Fuhr in a very simple way? Fuhr had hours to himself out there alone.

These physical traces - crop circles if we're being honest - aren't very impressive. It looks as if they could have been made by someone walking in a circle.

edwin-fuhr-jpg.png
rcmp-langenburg-pics-1-jpg1.png
Crop circles were already a thing in 1974... among people who were into that sort of thing.

Fuhr is convinced what he saw that day was extraterrestrial.

Over the years, he has taken an interest in the subject of UFOs, and is well read on the subject. He refers to government cover-ups, Roswell and popular theories that aliens may be concerned about global conflicts on Earth.

Did he start this interest in UFOlogy before or after his sighting? Don't know.
AdobeStock_33580390-e1564577481484.jpg

He says he didn't know anything about UFOlogy at the time, but I have my doubts.

In support of the premeditated hoax theory, Fuhr's sighting shares some similarities to previous UFO cases:

Adamski: General shape, "pipes" or landing gear on bottom, portholes or rivets on the sides.

MV5BMTVlODg2ZTktOTliMi00ZGVkLWE0OTctOGYzNTJkNGJmZDVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg

Socorro, NM/Zamora - UFO leaves traces, alleged radioactivity at landing site. Metallic. Zamora described it as like an old, weathered aluminum canoe (whitish). Fuhr describes it as "brushed aluminum" ... or "chrome" or "brushed stainless steel."

Falcon Lake/Michalak - General shape, metallic, emits a gas or vapor, huge acceleration upward, alleged radioactivity at landing site.

Fuhr's sketch:

img.jpg

Michalak's sketch:
Michalak's.jpg

BTW - Fuhr's farm is just down the highway from Michalak's town; River Heights.

Map.png

Following are excerpts from this YT video:

I thought to myself well I better get on the swather, (mumble) backed up all the way to the swather...
I got on on the wheel side of the swather and you'd think the swather would move. The engine was dead. Because when I got off, the engine was was running (Edit) It wouldn't start. The ignition was dead. It was completely dead. And the engine was running when I got off.

The bottom (of the) machine had four pipes; and they were huge. They weren't small. They're all in around the outside, and that's what I think made that impression in the ground.
Fuhr later says there were more than four.

When it got the higher up; it was like a vapor. But(?) you see behind a jet plane. Uh vapor. But you couldn't see it that clear. It was more like a fog. You know, it was thinner. Well, it come out of the ports. It (the vapor) was actually going down. As the thing rose, up it was pushing this vapor down.

They started off slowly. They just took off as(?) a flash. They were gone; And they went to the northeast end of the sky.

Fuhr's sighting began at about 9:30 a.m. on Sept. 1, 1974.

The most notably similar case is the1966 Tully Saucer Nest.

https://project1947.com/forum/bctully.htm
At about 9 am, on January 19th, 1966, George Pedley was driving a tractor heading south along a narrow track on Albert Pennisi's sugar cane farm. The weather that morning was calm, with the sun shining at approximately 30 to 40 degrees east. When he was approximately 25 yards from Horseshoe Lagoon, Pedley heard above the noise of the tractor, a loud hissing sound, "like air escaping from a tyre."
"The tractor tyres seemed O.K. to me, so I drove on," Pedley said. "Suddenly, an object rose out of the swamp. When I glanced at it, it was already 30 feet above the ground, and at about tree-top level. It was a large, grey, saucer-shaped object, convex on the top and bottom and measured some 25 feet across and 9 feet high. While I watched, it rose another 30 feet, spinning very fast, then it made a shallow dive and took off with tremendous speed. Climbing at an angle of 45 degrees it disappeared within seconds in a south-westerly direction ...". He added, "I saw no portholes or antennas, and there was no sign of life either in or about the ship."

When Pedley drove around the bend of the track to the lagoon,there, at the spot beneath where the object had risen, was a huge,round cleared area in the swamp grass. The water in this circular area was slowly rotating and appeared to be completely cleared of reeds. With this evidence of what he had observed, Pedley concluded, "I have really seen something!" He had passed the same spot some three hours earlier, as close as 12 feet, and had not seen anything unusual.

Within a few minutes he returned to his tractor which he found he had to restart. He had noted just immediately prior to hearing the hissing sound a sound like a misfire in the tractor motor. He was sure it had not stopped. As with most farmers it was not his habit to switch off the tractor motor until finished with it.
Later in the day, apparently about noon, George returned along the track and stopped for another inspection. The cleared area of the lagoon surface was no longer visible. What was clearly evident was a floating mass of reeds, approximately 30 feet in diameter, that had apparently come to the surface of the lagoon during the time Pedley was absent. The floating mass of reeds and grass was noticeably distributed in a radial pattern, in a clear clockwise manner. Pedley was certain the reeds were quite green in this mass, as they were in all the surrounding reeds in the lagoon.

Fuhr's saucers were next to a slough:
Fuhr Map.png

The Tully Saucer came out of a lagoon. There were multiple traces:
4979147.jpg

Attachments

• rcmp-langenburg-pics-1-jpg1.png
    rcmp-langenburg-pics-1-jpg1.png
    578.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
And complex partial seizures don't leave physical traces.
Yes, I suppose it is a bit far-fetched to assume that Edwin Fuhr wandered around making crop circles in a postictal state.

My best guess is that this is a flat out premeditated hoax.
I think that has to be a significant possibility...

The most notably similar case is the1966 Tully Saucer Nest.
At about 9 am, on January 19th, 1966, George Pedley was driving a tractor...
Didn't know about this- certainly some similarities to Fuhr's account.

The well-known case of Antônio Vilas-Boas in Brazil, October 15 1957 (eleven days after the launch of the first space rocket, with Sputnik 1) also involved someone driving a tractor (Vilas-Boas)- his saucer had a spinning cupola.
Antônio was taken aboard, where he met a very friendly female alien. Some would say she was inappropriately friendly for a First Contact.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antônio_Vilas-Boas

Tractors, and their users, seem to be quite high up on the list of unfathomable alien obsessions.

Tractors, and their users, seem to be quite high up on the list of unfathomable alien obsessions.
The cynic in me observes that farms are more isolated places than towns, and thus easier to spend time setting up a complex hoax without other observers to contradict the principal story-teller. Foolish of those aliens not to play to a wider audience.

People don't need to be crackpots or mentally ill to fabricate stories. Nor do they need to be malicious or narcissistic. The Solid Citizen Argument is nonsense and a straw man.

Fuhr's story is very simple, without much narrative. One could even say impoverished. No one else is involved, not even Aliens. The things spin and he sits looking at them. The only emotional themes are puzzlement and fear, expressed repeatedly but without much depth. Basic stuff without nuance. He speaks in sentence fragments and is repetitive.

My impression of Fuhr is that he is a bit naive with a modest intellect. He's amiable, but not very skilled at oral communication. My notion is that he was looking for something that he could talk about that people would find interesting. Back and forth conversation about something more engaging than mundane chores he did or should do. Something that was probably scarce in his life. He's probably told this same story hundreds of times over the decades but still seems eager to tell it. He wasn't out to make a buck or even for 15 minutes of fame. He might well have just been looking for a very local audience and was surprised by the public interest; but pleased. He was looking for some human contact where people are interested in him and what he's got to say.

I suspect that he was already interested in UFOlogy at the time and cobbled together a simple story from elements of other sightings. His story isn't all that interesting and is thus relatively obscure. The only interest comes from the crop circles and specualtion about what may have caused them; either natural forces or Alien tech.

This is only my notion, and doesn't even rise to the level of hypothesis.

Last edited:
@Z.W. Wolf

You mentioned the Tully case, but there was also the Delphos Ring case from Kansas (USA) in 1971. No tractor, but noteworthy in the fast a ground ring was left under where a UFO only hovered, no landing.

A low rumbling sound suddenly burst out of the dark night sky, followed by an intense display of bright, multi-colored lights. They were emanating from a mushroom-shaped object that was slowly making its way over the Johnsons’ land only several feet from the ground.

The ring would remain visible for some time after the incident. And numerous soil samples of it would go for initial analysis. As well as to store as evidence of the presumed visitation. A strange white substance was found within the soil – a substance that appeared to be the result of an intense and unnatural reaction.
https://www.ufoinsight.com/ufos/close-encounters/delphos-ring-physical-ufo-evidence

I remember this case as a youngster, it's often portrayed as one of the most credible UFO events.

@Z.W. Wolf

You mentioned the Tully case, but there was also the Delphos Ring case from Kansas (USA) in 1971. No tractor, but noteworthy in the fast a ground ring was left under where a UFO only hovered, no landing.

A low rumbling sound suddenly burst out of the dark night sky, followed by an intense display of bright, multi-colored lights. They were emanating from a mushroom-shaped object that was slowly making its way over the Johnsons’ land only several feet from the ground.

The ring would remain visible for some time after the incident. And numerous soil samples of it would go for initial analysis. As well as to store as evidence of the presumed visitation. A strange white substance was found within the soil – a substance that appeared to be the result of an intense and unnatural reaction.
https://www.ufoinsight.com/ufos/close-encounters/delphos-ring-physical-ufo-evidence

I remember this case as a youngster, it's often portrayed as one of the most credible UFO events.
Another site sailing straight through the debunk. Quoting ufoinsight.com:
Perhaps one of the loudest skeptical voices – as in many other cases – was that of Phillip Klass. He would offer that the ring was not the result of space craft from another world landing on the Johnsons’ farm, but the result of years of sheep urine that had collected there when a drinking trough used by the farm’s sheep was located there.

While it was true the area (roughly) housed the water trough that Klass refers to, it would appear unlikely that his take on the issue is accurate. Not least due to the previously mentioned higher than usual levels of oxalic acids.
The point of the sheep urine hypothesis is that urine contains high amounts of oxalic acid. But Ufoinsight uses this point supporting Klass's hypothesis as if it contradicted it, reversing its significance.

Back