ISIS suicide bomber's car explodes in mid air, needs analysis

derwoodii

Senior Member.
Watching this i'm finding it hard to believe. BombDr your wisdom needed please, could this be factual and if so, how could a car be thrown that high but not frag apart by conventional HE stuff

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-skywards-seconds-driver-s-IEDs-detonate.html

This is the incredible moment a car being driven by an ISIS suicide bomber detonates mid-air seconds after it is blasted skywards by an explosion on the ground.

Video shows the jihadi attempting to launch an attack on Kurdish Peshmerga forces, reportedly near Kirkuk in northern Iraq.

But as the car approaches, it hits what appears to be a roadside bomb, catapulting the vehicle at least 100ft into the air.

Just as it begins to fall back down to earth, the car detonates like a firework, either due to the explosives on board or the fuel tank igniting.

What's left of the car is then seen dropping back down into the massive cloud of smoke that has billowed up from the ground.

I commented about this on another forum

Someone said it was the petrol tank exploding

I questioned that - by asking whether petrol tanks explode like that outside the movies

The answer to which I have no idea

Other than that I took it at face value

The forces destroy the car before it explodes sending it into the air before it's detonation. Multiple car bombs with one detonating before the other. The quality and distance of the video makes it hard to tell anything. It is obviously being filmed for a reason, which is common for suicide bombers. A translation would go a long way to helping figure things out I'm sure.

Planted a roadside bomb and used a suicide car bomb to detonate it, potentially trying to double the number of explosions. Timers and fuses used for the car bomb, while the roadside used typical land mind style triggers or someone triggering it from afar.

Any explosion that could lift the car like that wouldn't leave the remains car shaped. Also note the second explosion doesn't have any debris ejected. I'd call fake.

Any explosion that could lift the car like that wouldn't leave the remains car shaped. Also note the second explosion doesn't have any debris ejected. I'd call fake.
I'm inclined to agree.

Fuel tanks don't 'explode', it is a rapid combustion, and the car seems to hover in mid air for a couple of revolutions before this occurs. An object the size of a car, which lets say is one metric ton for arguments sake, would need some energy from beneath it to hover at its apogee, and in open-air, all the energy of an explosion is vented.

It looks like a genuine IED type explosion with the car added later for dramatic effect.

I'm inclined to agree.

Fuel tanks don't 'explode', it is a rapid combustion, and the car seems to hover in mid air for a couple of revolutions before this occurs. An object the size of a car, which lets say is one metric ton for arguments sake, would need some energy from beneath it to hover at its apogee, and in open-air, all the energy of an explosion is vented.

It looks like a genuine IED type explosion with the car added later for dramatic effect.
I didn't watch enough to notice the hover.

I feel the sound is the give away that the car is fake.

The camera is obviously some distance away (I would guess 2-3 kms?), yet when the car explodes, the sound of the explosion is instantaneous.

There is a second explosion sound AFTER then car blows up, but I think that this is the sound of the original explosion (which would have forced the car into the air) travelling to the cameras location.

Therefore, car and its explosion added in after, video is fake.

Another good point. They may even have timed the car to explode as the sound of the original blast reached the camera. There's no sound of detonation between them.

The camera is obviously some distance away (I would guess 2-3 kms?), yet when the car explodes, the sound of the explosion is instantaneous.

I believe the sound heard when the "car" explodes is the sound of the original explosion. The second sound follows the aerial explosion by that same approximate amount of time.

PS: one would think the car would move away from such an explosion going off on one end of it (to the left), but it seems to fall straight down from the same spot where it "blew up".

I believe the sound heard when the "car" explodes is the sound of the original explosion. The second sound follows the aerial explosion by that same approximate amount of time.

I can see you're point, but the 2nd explosion is much louder and sustained, more consistent to the type of explosion that would have the force to be able to thrust a car into the air.

PS: one would think the car would move away from such an explosion going off on one end of it (to the left), but it seems to fall straight down from the same spot where it "blew up".
This is why I think it's not a car bomb but gas from the car's tank (or fake, BombDr does point out some problems with that as well). Gas explosions are slow (they're not actually explosions in the technical sense, just really dramatic burning) make big fireballs but have very little concussive force - they're the kind of thing you see Hollywood action heroes casually walking away from without looking back. The car would be left mostly unmoved and intact, where a car bomb will usually tear it apart and not just move it.

they're the kind of thing you see Hollywood action heroes casually walking away from without looking back.
That always bugs me - there's a freaking cool explosion happening, why wouldn't you want to turn and look at that? Plus it makes it easier to avoid projectiles that can slice you in two.

ok were movin the right way but still no definitive evidence to debunk.

While it could be genuine, to have HE detonate and throw a car body up that high and not just disintegrate it defies my HE understanding. I looked over ( gruesome and unpleasant work ) IED denotations & car wreckage and they more often don't throw the cars upwards and just fraged bits left after.

I think its a edited Jdam hit as similar bang footprint as vid below so been looking for the original vid but no luck

While it could be genuine, to have HE detonate and throw a car body up that high and not just disintegrate it defies my HE understanding. I looked over ( gruesome and unpleasant work ) IED denotations & car wreckage and they more often don't throw the cars upwards and just fraged bits left after.

My minimal experience with cars and bombs was an Alford tech device "boot banger" (really cool bits of kit - like the most expensive Tupperware you can buy...) which was put under the boot (or 'trunk') of a sedan and cracked off. It did lift the car and shift it somewhat, but nowhere near as dramatic as what is in that video...certainly not flying. Another time when our section tried cars and stuff going bang, using non shaped charges, it was a mixed bag. Sometimes a case of just punching through panels and throwing debris everywhere or tearing whole parts of the car off and distributing them equally about the universe. But then we never used anything on the scale in the video either.

It does seem to 'hang' a bit long after the secondary explosion as somebody mentioned, and the zoom in the video makes it look dodgy. I reckon fake.

Back