How to test if Satellites are real

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIA-x0QGBp0

Some people think space, and hence the existence of satellites, is fake.
The most obvious refutation of this is that you have to point your satellite dish exactly at the right satellite in the sky for it to work. There's no way of faking this. There's nothing else up there. But how to test this without throwing your dish out of alignment.
Here I hold up a metal object at 45° in front of the dish, the signal is lost, which shows the signal is coming from space.

The actual incoming angle is quite a bit steeper than it looks from the disk, as it uses an offset focus. This allows for easier mounting. Most dishes in the US are pointed at around 40-45°
Metabunk 2019-05-18 08-58-43.jpg

With it being so steep it was a bit tricky to hold the metal tub in the right place. A more ambitious experiment might be to make a shield from a sheet of cardboard covered in aluminum foil and mounted on a pole.

To find out the angle and visualize all the geostationary statellites there's a variety of apps. One free one is "Satellite Pointer"
Metabunk 2019-05-18 09-12-29.jpg
(Coordinates just set to Sacramento)

That looks like where the dish is pointing, 45° up. and 176° is nearly due south (180°).

You could do the rough math here. Assuming the satellite is one that's pretty much due south, all geostationary satellites are 22,300 miles above the equator. Sacramento is about 38.5° north, the radius of the Earth is about 3959 miles

Last edited:

Astro

On the 18th I tracked the Hubble Space Telescope based on its orbit and with my telescope I was able to just barely resolve the shape of HST as an elongated tube, not just a round point like light source.

Checking the schedule, I found HST was supposed to be observing a quasar near the handle of the big dipper at that time. I ran a simulation using Hubble's actual orbit and a virtual Hubble pointed at the same coordinates. Sure enough, when observed from my location the simulation showed a prefeperfect match for the observed attitude of HST as seen in my telescope.

A balloon or drone at a lower altitude would not be at the expected location in the sky for an arbitrary observer at an unknown location. And of course, with multiple simultaneous observers it's possible to directly measure the altitude and velocity of Hubble via parallax. I've done that with the help of a friend to measure ISS, but I may do something similar in the future with Hubble as well if my friend acquires a similar telescope as he's currently planning to do.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
deirdre Info: Face Mask test links Coronavirus COVID-19 0
Z.W. Wolf All The Ships At Sea: A Pragmatic Test Of Earth's Shape Flat Earth 10
Rory How to Show the Horizon is Below Eye Level, Using Actual Eyes Flat Earth 59
sirtwentythree San Mateo Bridge to Bay Bridge 17 mile curvature test Flat Earth 36
Mick West Rocket Contrail, South of Monterey, California [ Trident II Test] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Willie Explained: NBC Local News Accidentally Posts US Election"Results A Week Early [Test Data for Layout] General Discussion 11
Mick West F-WWQF high altitude test flights Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Debunked: A Snow Test for Signs of Geoengineering, Portland Oregon Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Trailspotter Omega loop contrail over Toronto: Veni Vidi Volavi?.. [Likely Bombardier Test Flight from Montreal] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 27
Norsely Hey, Howdy General Discussion 9
Gundersen Debunked: Australian Rainwater "Chemtrail" test Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Mick West Flight BOE1 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West "Strange Lights" over Hawaii [Aegis Ashore SM-3 Missile Test] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Leifer The Ignorance Test (Gapminder) General Discussion 52
JRBids Military test releases fiberglas cloud Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Mick West Lie Detector Test General Discussion 30
FreiZeitGeist Russian ICBM-Test photographed from the ISS Science and Pseudoscience 4
MikeC Bombardier C-series flight test video shows ballast tanks Contrails and Chemtrails 10
Leifer Home test kits...quackery Health and Quackery 6
N How might some test chemtrails? Spectroscopy? Contrails and Chemtrails 15
Mick West What would it take, and how much would it cost, to test a "chemtrail" Contrails and Chemtrails 44
Mick West Debunked: "Rainwater Samples From Alachua County Florida Test Positive for Aluminum" Contrails and Chemtrails 51
Mick West Explained: "It's photoshopped because it has to be" Flat Earth 3
Astro Identifying Sun and Moon Transits Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Priyadi Explained: Why We Don't See Satellites in Photos Taken From The ISS Flat Earth 1
Walter Bislin Checking the Oblateness of the earth with highres Satellite Images Flat Earth 1
Mick West Explained: "Satellite" crashing attached to a balloon [Google's Project Loon] Flat Earth 0
Mick West Full-Disk HD Images of the Earth from Satellites Flat Earth 94
Supreme Logic Why Do Some Satellites show a "Hole" at the Poles? Hollow Earth? [Inclined Orbit] Conspiracy Theories 21
Trajan How Satellites Survive the Temperature of the Thermosphere Flat Earth 74
Mick West Debunked: "Blue Marble" Photos show a Changing Earth Flat Earth 40
JesseCuster Identifying satellites Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
Auldy Claim: Satellites show global warming pause continues by CFACT Science and Pseudoscience 13
Jesse3959 Being seen from space - methods to demonstrate that sats are real and provide live video? Flat Earth 6
Mick West Are the Navy UFOs "Real," or just in the Low Information Zone? UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 31
Stefan Leahu How atmospheric tunelling and refraction really look like in real life. Flat Earth 0
Stefan Leahu A real-life 2D curvature analogy and a few thoughts regarding scale Flat Earth 2
derwoodii Claim Melania Trump has a double, will the real 1st lady please stand up Conspiracy Theories 11
Mick West How to Prove Satellite Images are Real - Ground Truth Flat Earth 16
MikeG Debunked: Air Force Verifies Chemtrails are Real Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Sandor Szekely Lake Balaton Laser experiment to determine the curvature of the Earth, if any. Flat Earth 1027
Jonathan Evans "The Real Venus" Shimmering circle of light Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
Georgie G Debunked: SpaceX Rocket Crash Landing Anomalies General Discussion 21
MikeC Aircraft weight and balance in the real world Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Trailspotter Fake photo with real looking EXIF Data Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Leifer Erin Brokovich does not believe in chemtrails. Contrails and Chemtrails 64
MikeC Ukraine has no real borders? General Discussion 51
Joe Latoya Ammons - A Real Life Demonic Possession? General Discussion 91
scombrid Is any crisis real? Yes, even the mall attacks in Kenya were fake. Conspiracy Theories 6
Cairenn Fake on line journals with Real names Practical Debunking 0
Related Articles

Related Articles