Fascist America, in 10 easy steps...?

tryblinking

Senior Member.
I was unsure where to put this, but it is conspiratorial and sociopolitical, so I figured here might be the best place.
This was a long news article in the UK's Guardian online from 2007. The tag reads:
From Hitler to Pinochet and beyond, history shows there are certain steps that any would-be dictator must take to destroy constitutional freedoms. And, argues Naomi Wolf, George Bush and his administration seem to be taking them all
A lot has happened since then, but it remains an interesting (and possibly accurate) assessment of how America has and is changing, and some ideas about the end point. It's also interesting which ideas still have weight into the Obama term of office.

There's certainly a degree of truth in the parallels drawn there. But from a debunking perspective, what' I'd be interested in is what is actually deliberate. Is there a large over-arching conspiracy here? Do people really weigh in their actions the potential long term socioeconomic implications for the next 30 years? Or is what we are seeing simply emergence - something that looks like a vast conspiracy, but is actually the sum of essentially unrelated multiple minor conspiracies, incompetences, politics, delusions, and the regular workings of the invisible hand and the madness of crowds?

Perhaps Guantamano is effectively "creating a gulag", which helps dehumanize and isolate the opposition, and hence allow an increase in executive powers towards dictatorial fascism. But was that the intent?

Either way, and conspiracy theories aside, these are interesting and important points that the populace needs to be reminded of.

Back