Claims of Russia rigging the Crimean referendum

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA291BT20140310?irpc=932

Reuters paints a picture of the referendum being taken over by the Kremlin:

SIMFEROPOL, Ukraine (Reuters) - The Crimean Tatar leader promoting a boycott of Sunday's referendum on transferring the Ukrainian region to Russian rule is sure the Kremlin will rig the vote and appealed to the outside world to protect his once persecuted community.
Content from External Source

(partially in response to question here in a closed thread that had drifted considerably off topic)
How Russia Rigged Crimean Referendum, or even the UN report suggesting it was rigged.

A search for "Crimean referendum rigged" gives 174,000 results that some might find interesting or like to select from to refute point by point perhaps.

re: removal of civilian govt in Crimea - New leader named while gunmen occupy regional assembly

Sorry I dont see any claims of actual rigging? There was a lot of propaganda and threats but what rigging was there? They didnt have their votes changed did they? The links seem to accept that more people there are essentially Russian.

Gary try reading the post - the claims are there FFS!
I have and I didnt see any claims of perverting the ballot which amounted to rigging. Surely if you had seen any claim of that you would of quoted it.

There is little evidence in the report to suggest that Crimea's Russian-speaking majority would have voted any differently if conditions were less threatening to dissidents. But Simonovic's findings underscore the heavy-handed efforts used to influence the outcome of the referendum, as well as the personal risks faced by those making the case for remaining part of Ukraine.
That is without pointing to historical examples of ballots that the UN doesnt seem to have an issue with that were not unbiased and fair.

Last edited:
Or maybe I linked to them - sheesh! :rolleyes:

I am not being nasty dude. there is a lot of info there and i really couldnt see what I thought you could be referring to. apart from the obvious nasty violence which is wrong but there were mostly people there that were already aligned to Russia.

What part of "How Russia rigged Crimean referendum" isn't a claim that Russia rigged the referendum?

What part of "How Russia rigged Crimean referendum" isn't a claim that Russia rigged the referendum?

The article title seems a bit misleading. How is using intimidation rigging if they were still free to vote for who they wanted? I didnt see any claims that people were stopped from voting for who they wanted to or that there was some kind of fraudulent count. Correct me if I am wrong and indeed it does say that some place in what you linked to but I quoted a contradicting paragraph that was actually in what you link to.

There is little evidence in the report to suggest that Crimea's Russian-speaking majority would have voted any differently if conditions were less threatening to dissidents. But Simonovic's findings underscore the heavy-handed efforts used to influence the outcome of the referendum, as well as the personal risks faced by those making the case for remaining part of Ukraine.
Its generally considered in life that if you dont rebut a claim in this situation then you concede it to be true. Just saying buddy. Your claim is quite an accusation. Plus it doesnt have any context in terms of historical international examples. Ie, few ballots are truely legit. Hell, I dont even think the UK one is. There are all sorts of penalty's for not voting. Albeit mostly indirect. Not being political. Just basic philosophy. But like I said, if I am wrong feel free to correct. me. I can admit my mistakes.

Edit: I am reading it again after being tired last night and it is a bit more concerning than I thought but it does not have any actual evidence that it was definitely rigged.

Last edited:
Its generally considered in life that if you dont rebut a claim in this situation then you concede it to be true.

Says who? not me.

As far as I am concerned you are trolling. This thread contains the evidence it contains - you may argue the evidence is unsound, but to claim there aer "no claims", then to say the claims contain "no evidence" is either dishonest or ignorant.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Says who? not me.

As far as I am concerned you are trolling. This thread contains the evidence it contains - you may argue the evidence is unsound, but to claim there aer "no claims", then to say the claims contain "no evidence" is either dishonest or ignorant.

Welcome to my ignore list.

To me you are trolling also with a thread that has a claim in the title that is not proven anywhere in the article. But of course because you bias for the mainstream, it will be allowed and has been.

Last edited:
Gary you seem to be being deliberately obtuse. The title is "claims of Russia rigging...", and there are three articles describing those claims. Hence it's a perfectly accurate title.

Come back in a month.

Back