Calculations of Aircraft Contrail Formation Critical Temperatures (Mark L. Schrader)

CbIncus

This post is about contrails formation and prediction of this phenomena.

The original paper by Schrader (http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/1520-0450(1997)036<1725:COACFC>2.0.CO;2 - Calculations of Aircraft Contrail Formation Critical Temperatures) gives us tables of critical temperatures for different pressures, relative humidities and contrail factors. But it's only from 30 to 500 mb, lower levels are not included. The calculations are based on Goff-Gratch equation of saturation water vapor pressure. The provided source code and EXE file can help us to calculate Tcrit for any pressure level. The es​(T) function and des​/dT derivative are computed from Murphy-Koop formula, which is based on more recent data.

http://yadi.sk/d/hy75Iz934i-lO (Pascal source code)
http://yadi.sk/d/R0lQhzeE4i05K (EXE file)

CbIncus

I've accidentally posted Russian version of the program. The 2nd link above was changed to English one.

Ross Marsden

Senior Member.
Thanks! I think that is a very important scientific paper for debunking the chemtrails on a day-b-day basis in areas close to a radiosonde station.

I used it to write a program to build these charts to help diagnose if contrails would form and if they would be persistent or not.

The explanation of the parts of the charts and what they mean is here.

I have pretty much abandoned that site and that work now.

CbIncus

Thanks Ross! Unfortunately there's no radiosonde station in Chisinau, Moldova, where I live. I'll try to use GFS Reanalysis-2 data to overcome this lack of measurements.

CbIncus

An example of contrail prediction using GFS Model data (00Z 12 May run) and RAOB sounding software. This is a forecast sounding for Chisinau Intl Airport (LUKK) for 12Z today. Some semi-persistent and one spreading contrail were observed over the city. The diagram below shows temperature (solid red line), dewpoint (dashed red line) and frostpoint (blue line). Where frostpoint is greater than temperature, ice supersaturation occurs and persistent and spreading contrails are possible. We see such a zone at 8,7-10,8 km AGL heights.

АД для LUKK на 12 СГВ 12.05.2013 (&#.PNG

There's a module for RAOB which allows direct plotting of contrail critical temperature: http://raob.com/mod_analytic.php.

CbIncus

Another contrail prediction example for LUKK, 15 UTC 17.05.2013. I've bought the Analytical Module, so the contrail critical temp. is plotted along with frostpoint. There's a small region of contrail formation between FL340 and FL370, but no ice supersaturation occurs. I've observed some small contrails, and a plane with no contrail at all at FL390, which is well predicted.

АД по LUKK на 15 СГВ 17.05.2013 (п&#.PNG

QATAR Airbus A330 17.05.2013 (фото).png

QATAR Airbus A330 17.05.2013 (FlightRadar24).png

George23!

Thanks! I think that is a very important scientific paper for debunking the chemtrails on a day-b-day basis in areas close to a radiosonde station.

I used it to write a program to build these charts to help diagnose if contrails would form and if they would be persistent or not.
The explanation of the parts of the charts and what they mean is here.

Can someone that downloaded CbIncus EXE file and source code, post new links here since his links are offline?

Thanks!

Ross Marsden

Senior Member.
Can someone ... post new links here since his links are offline?

Yes, those links are now broken. I am assuming "his" refers to me.
I can provide examples and an explanation if you want. I probably still have the text and diagrams that was used to build the pages that are no longer linked to.

George23!

Yes, those links are now broken. I am assuming "his" refers to me.
I can provide examples and an explanation if you want. I probably still have the text and diagrams that was used to build the pages that are no longer linked to.

Well actually by "his" i meant CbIncus' links:
http://yadi.sk/d/hy75Iz934i-lO (Pascal source code)
http://yadi.sk/d/R0lQhzeE4i05K (EXE file)

But since you had obtained them back then and wrote a program for your diagrams, perhaps you can give them or the relevant code anyway, here.

Thanks anyway.

Ross Marsden

Senior Member.
But since you had obtained them back then and wrote a program for your diagrams, perhaps you can give them or the relevant code anyway, here.
No, I didn't obtain CbIncus' source code or EXE file.
You probably don't want to see my terrible Python code here.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Rory How can we explain perspective calculations simply? Flat Earth 39
wonderland78 Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations Flat Earth 30
D Calculations of impact General Discussion 0
Mick West Oroville Watershed Weather Forecast, Lake Level and Inflow Calculations Oroville Dam 194
DarkStar Are Lynch's Horizon Calculations correct? Flat Earth 81
Tony Szamboti Does the exclusion of stiffness from Nordenson's falling girder calculations demonstrate anything? 9/11 288
Picard Aircraft impact Design for Twin Towers 9/11 11
Agent K Air Force E-11A Communications Aircraft Crashes And Burns In Afghanistan Current Events 7
Laser Curved Aircraft Window Distortion Flat Earth 11
inkwell American Airlines Flight 77 Aircraft Accident Package lists no. of Passengers/Fatalies as "Unknown" Conspiracy Theories 3
FlightMuj Explained: NASA documents stating a flat Earth??? Linear Aircraft Models Flat Earth 7
Trailspotter UFO with navigation lights, Drone or aircraft? [Low Flying FedEx 777] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
cmnit Ulrike Lohmann on aircraft exhausts chemicals Contrails and Chemtrails 3
C Strange Flickering in Contrail Video Posted in Earlier Thread [Focussing artifacts] Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Whitebeard EgyptAir flight MS804 Current Events 52
Spectrar Ghost Tip Vorticies - frequency by aircraft? Contrails and Chemtrails 5
MikeC New Zealand CAA puts up "Aircraft Trails" page Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Mick West N8701Q Boeing 737-MAX 8 "Spirit of Renton" Testbed Aircraft Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Veronica! Odd Aircraft Explained: Powered Parachute Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West 1952 - Condensation Trails From Aircraft - With a 1937 Persistent Contrail Photo - Oldest Ever? Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Steve Funk Claim, C130 aircraft are spraying mysterious filaments. Contrails and Chemtrails 5
MikeC Aircraft weight and balance in the real world Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Balance Met Office - Case Study Contrail-induced Cirrus Contrails and Chemtrails 0
TWCobra AA77-Pentagon explosion plume compared to known aircraft fires 9/11 0
Mick West Debunked: MH370: Daily Mail claims new sonar images indicate aircraft debris Flight MH370 3
c.eileen Help to ID a plane? [N90 - FAA Flight Inspection Aircraft] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 30
TEEJ Belfast Observer Skywatch claiming that airliners do not appear on Flight Radar 24 - 10th March 2015 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
TEEJ Gary Cameron Clydebank, Scotland Video, 1st May 2015- Claim of aircraft not being on Flight Radar 24 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
ssfor27 Aircraft Caught "Spraying" over Key West Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Trailspotter A new way to stop the gridlock in the skies General Discussion 0
Efftup Disappearing Falcons near Bournemouth, UK [Limited MLAT Coverage] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 37
MikeC Convair 580 aerosol measurement probe array Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Asylumkid Deadly emissions? [1% contribution of aviation emissions to harmful air pollution] General Discussion 10
Rico Debunked: Dane Wigington's Undeniable Footage of Jet Aircraft Spraying [Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 42
Efftup How far away can I see an aircraft? Contrails and Chemtrails 26
Charlesinsandiego Another triangular aircraft, this time in Kansas [B2 Bomber] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 25
TEEJ Mystery Aircraft over Texas 10th March 2014 - Steve Douglass Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 114
T Debunk: Chemtrails leave no space between aircraft and the beginning of the trail. Contrails and Chemtrails 7
TWCobra Max Bliss debunked-Aircraft engine oil systems used to dispense Chemtrail chemicals Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Alchemist DEBUNKED - 9/11 aircraft black boxes weren't recovered 9/11 241
TWCobra Wigington/Max Bliss Debunked. Automated Chemtrail dispersal Commercial aircraft Contrails and Chemtrails 7
anonname Is this a chemtrail aircraft? Contrails and Chemtrails 15
HappyMonday Anonymous Email from an aircraft mechanic (via twitter) Contrails and Chemtrails 37
TWCobra Effect of mid-range Mohs (hardness scale) Volcanic Ash on aircraft v Aluminium oxide Contrails and Chemtrails 14
Jay Reynolds Flight Tracking "Chemtrails" Aircraft Contrails and Chemtrails 39
JFDee Research: Consequences of Travel Shutdown for Contrail Coverage Contrails and Chemtrails 1
TEEJ Sunlit contrail, Cambridgeshire, UK causing media flap 15th April 2020 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Curt Collins UFO: Contrail over Canada? Jackhead, Manitoba UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 32
Rory Unidentified "space vehicle" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West Sunset Contrail "UFO" over Denver, Nov 23 2018 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Related Articles

Related Articles