Blowing out Candles with a Single Punch

Here is the image from the handheld device (probably smartphone). On the right we can see something that could be the table without candles, and there is something which probably is the bright studio light but switched off.
Edit: seem to be just onscreen camera buttons.
Khan4.gif

Last edited:
Some mention a bulky boxing glove or exhaling as a push of air.

We missed a bigger push of air his body could produce. His chest as he lunges forward. I do doubt it would reach the farther candles however.

But a question persists for me. He punches-exhales- lunges and then regains balance while quickly retracting his glove.
Could that quick retraction create a temporary vaccum that would also affect the candles?

A question persists for me. He punches-exhales-lunges and then regains balance while quickly retracting his glove.
Could that quick retraction create a temporary vacuum that would also affect the candles?

Give it a try. You won't need twelve candles, just one about seven feet away.

I doubt the distance involved would actually create that much air disturbance. Both in the push of air and the pull back caused by the glove.

Boxers are talented at applying force to punches but near always to a hanging bag or opponent. Not open air over candles.

As I am not a boxer I would have to find a decent boxer and a high speed camera. Have him punch into smoke from a smoke machine and see if it would be possible to film the air disturbance.
I honestly have no idea what result to expect.

Try this then: aim a punch at your other hand (open palm) - but stop short - and feel the air on your skin. Then compare that to wafting your hand on your palm. A punch displaces almost nothing.

Boxers are talented at applying force to punches but near always to a hanging bag or opponent. Not open air over candles.

You don't need force to move air, just speed. Boxers have faster hands (around 25-30 mph, says the internet), but not orders of magnitude faster than a regular person. I'll try measuring my punch speed.

Messing with an accelerometer:
Metabunk 2018-11-14 09-45-13.jpg

Also took some high speed (240fps) video
IMG_3879-punch.gif
Metabunk 2018-11-14 09-47-49.jpg
Metabunk 2018-11-14 09-48-05.jpg
A bit over an inch in 1/240 seconds, so around 1.1*240 = 274 inches per second, about 15 mph.

Which matches other research:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/5538765E-E7F2-99DF-393E0A0CD7821157/
Slow motion video found that Hatton could typically generate punch speeds of 25 miles per hour, with one blow reaching 32 mph. The best punch speed that one of the researchers could achieve was about 15 miles per hour
Content from External Source

Last edited:
Back