Black square around Earth proves NASA fake footage

Rory

I was hoping to find an explanation of the "black square around the Earth" so-called 'proof' the Flat Earthers put out.

(from 3:00 - if want to tell me how to embed to a specific time go right ahead :) )

Basically, he takes a photo of the Earth taken from a moon mission, zooms in, plays with the photoshop filters, and gets a "black square" around the Earth:
upload_2016-6-10_15-31-8.png

I've read that official modern images of Earth are often placed on black backgrounds - Blue Marble II, for example - but wonder what the explanation for this one is, given it was taken with film?

I downloaded a 3000x3003 copy of it from NASA and did the same thing in photoshop. Didn't get as much of a square - but did turn up what look suspiciously like stars!

[GALLERY=media, 31]Harrison Schmitt on the moon[/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 32]close up[/GALLERY]

Is it perhaps a case that what I'm seeing in my image is expected, and what he's seeing in his is perhaps as a result of using a lower quality image? And I wonder if those 'stars' would line up with a map? ;-)

Last edited:

Rory

I took a quick look at:
Rob Skiba "Faked NASA Photo" Debunked
which seems to address the semi-square pretty head on at [6:25]
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU9nEFeEPsc

[6:25]
Nice one; that seems to sort it. And in the comments the very excellent Dave Ridlen has written a bunch that explains it further: basically, yes, Rob Skiba was using a low res image, and that there is an even higher res one available, clocking in at 4145x4145.

I downloaded that and the 'square' has pretty much gone:

[GALLERY=media, 34]Schmitt 4[/GALLERY]

Alas, so have most of the 'stars'. :-(

[GALLERY=media, 33]Schmitt 3[/GALLERY]

;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rory

Update: I checked the points of light to see if they were stars at astrometry.net - and they weren't.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Black UFO At Skinwalker Ranch (A Fly) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
Guido Hello and a questionabout black line in sky Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
B Black line in sky seen from plane (contrail?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Double "Black Beam" Contrail Edge Shadow over Mt Shasta Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Black and White Contrail - Above or Below Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 10
MikeC Claim: FAA conspiring with Police to limit news access to Black Rock General Discussion 3
Mick West Some "Black" Shadowed Aerodynamic Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 4
Mick West Plane with Vertical Black Stripes Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 25
S Black exhaust, contrail, or chemtrail? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Qualiall Malaysian Transport Ministry's first-year report (released March 8th 2015) Flight MH370 4
Mick West Hoax: AirAsia QZ8501 Black Box Voice Recorder [Alleged Adam Air 574 in 2007] General Discussion 0
Trailblazer "Black aerosol" spray over the Netherlands (contrail shadow at sunset) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Lisa P "Black Beam" Contrail Shadow, Sunshine Coast, Australia Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
RFMarine Claim: Black dust all over japan - radioactive - fukushima? General Discussion 3
Jason Weird black ring appears in the sky [Pyrotechnic Smoke Ring] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Lode Debunked: "California Combats Drought With Black-Ops Weather Control" Contrails and Chemtrails 16
MikeC New "black chemtrail" video Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 107
Mick West Debunked: Black Smoke and orange flames as an indicator of an Oxygen Starved Low temp fire 9/11 4
Alchemist Why Is There A Media BLACK OUT On These CRAFT Contractors? Boston Marathon Bombings 9
Alchemist DEBUNKED - 9/11 aircraft black boxes weren't recovered 9/11 241
BombDr Chemtrail logistics: How many NWO black-ops people are required? Contrails and Chemtrails 19
MikeC Men in black tops and tan pants at helicopter crash Conspiracy Theories 5
Joe Carbon black chemtrails? Contrails and Chemtrails 38
PCWilliams Black Hawks Conducting Urban Training Exercise Conspiracy Theories 9
Leifer strange black box Site Feedback & News 1
Mick West Explained: Giant Black Sphere Hovering Near the Sun [Coronal Prominence Cavity] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 69
Mick West Franklin Square and Munson Board of Fire Commissioners 9/11 Resolution 9/11 26
brad fuller Does the inverse-square law apply to the flat-earth debunking tool chest? Flat Earth 4
Mick West A Slightly Square Cloud South of Australia Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Joe Square Cornered Clouds Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
Mick West Square Cloud seen from the Space Station by Reid Wiseman [Marine Layer + Coastline] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
zebra100 Great News: Now We are Back to Square One Flight MH370 15
Mick West What happened at the Rethink911 (AE911Truth) Times Square Rally? 9/11 2
George B Explained: Square in a NASA photo? [Centaur Landing Reference Grid] General Discussion 9
Mick West The Shape and Size of Glare Around Bright Lights UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 36
deirdre Debunked: Alex Jones claims kids '[walking around firehouse] with hands up' in Megan Kelly interview Sandy Hook 1
Mick West Explained: Why a Phone Spirit Level Works Around the World [Accelerometers are Scales] Flat Earth 7
derwoodii Claim The seabed around Kaikoura, New Zealand has risen by up to 1.8 m earthquake General Discussion 20
JRBids Blue Splotches around Nexrad Stations [Birds] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 29
MikeC The art of "turning around" an airliner Contrails and Chemtrails 6
P Hi all, I'm new to this forum, so still trying to find my way around. I wanted to comment regarding Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mick West Why People are 'Suddenly' Seeing Strange Beams of Light Around the World - The Reddit Effect General Discussion 23
Gundersen Debunked: Chemtrails and Hopi prophecy: Cobweb built around the earth Quotes Debunked 11
Marine0811 Do contrails form around low level clouds? [Generally not] Contrails and Chemtrails 124
M Claim: MH370 "thrown around like fighter jet in a bid to avoid radar source"? [Dubious] Flight MH370 11
Clock "They’ll warn that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices. Quotes Debunked 96
AluminumTheory Anonymous: False Flag 9/11 Style Attack in LA in May Be Imminent (on or around November 15th) Conspiracy Theories 16
Oxymoron How much of the Smoke Around WTC7 actually from WTC7? 9/11 20
Oxymoron Is there a conspiracy around chemical weapons attacks in Syria Conspiracy Theories 272
csotgr Chemtrails around the world Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Related Articles

Related Articles