Black Sphere over Porterville, CA

:) i've seen alot of household party balloons (ie light weight) tied to tables, in my day and even with almost no noticeable wind...they spin at times.
And the times in between the times they spin?

Also the tie is gonna get twisted and at some point will spin the balloon the other way (cos there's lack of force adding to the spin), twisting again and so on until coming to rest.

I'm of the opinion that a balloon drifting in the wind will not tend to spin. Like how clouds don't tend to spin.

And the times in between the times they spin?
i think you are all missing the point. IF the balloon in the video was actually moving the way the video at first makes us THINK the balloon is moving (quickly and rapidly changing directions) the balloon would spin at some point inthat long video.

(ps clouds and hot air balloons are not good analogies for a small light weight party balloon)

From the Sitrec data I estimate the balloon was traveling approximately 2 mi/h or 3.2 km/h.
1050 ft (320M) in just under 6 minutes.

I dunno. Arguing whether or not balloons tend to spin in the wind doesn't seem relevant. THIS one did not. And by the comparison of the video to the printed balloon. I think it's safe to say that the video is a match for the balloon. It is possible the balloon MAY have spun at some point, but that showed the decal too clearly, so it was edited out.

The balloon follows the wind and therefore feels no forces that want to rotate it, unless there is turbulence
I agree with this.
The balloon has a logo on one side; this may affect its smoothness sufficiently that the balloon rotates until the smoothest parts of the balloon face into the wind and the rough parts face away (or maybe vice versa), and after that the balloon would not rotate significantly at all (unless turbulence occurs, as Raymond notes).

Last edited:
I dunno. Arguing whether or not balloons tend to spin in the wind doesn't seem relevant. THIS one did not. And by the comparison of the video to the printed balloon. I think it's safe to say that the video is a match for the balloon.
i know its a balloon because i have a 17" laptop with a halfway decent graphics card so i can clearly see the 30 on the side of the balloon.
But potential ufo believers will say a balloon cannot move the way it does in the video. and the clue that the balloon is in fact not moving the way we think it is, is the fact that the logo doesnt move. I wrote that for outside readers so they know what to look for in the future. If you disagree with it, that's fine.

now they have Mick's sitrec to show how it is the drone that is moving, not the balloon.

Back