Sept 12th [2001]
Federal officials say investigators have identified all the hijackers, and estimate there were three to six aboard each of the four passenger planes that crashed in the worst terrorist attack in the United States Tuesday. At least two of the hijackers were on the Immigration and Naturalization Service "watch list," but it's still unclear whether the individuals entered the United States illegally or whether they entered before their names were placed on the list.
Investigators believe at least some of the hijackers were U.S.-trained pilots who entered the country through Canada. State Department officials said they have intelligence information connecting the attacks to indicted terrorist Osama bin Laden.
Most, if not all, of the hijackers were Egyptian or Saudi nationals, sources said.
...
At about 9 p.m. Tuesday, FBI agents and Massachusetts State Police towed a rented, late-model, white Mitsubishi Mirage with a Virginia license plate to an FBI garage. Arabic-language flight training manuals reportedly were found inside the car.
Investigators were led to the car by another airline passenger who got into a dispute with two men in the car over a parking space. When he heard about the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center, he called authorities in Boston.
In Florida, authorities traced a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix registered to a trained pilot and Egyptian national, Mohamed Atta, 33, to a Venice, Fla., address. Sources identify Atta as one of the hijackers.
Agents who reported to the address learned that Atta did not live there, but had stayed at the home last year while getting flight instruction. Agents also went to a Coral Springs, Fla., address listed on Atta's driver's license, sources said.
ABCNEWS sources identify another hijacker as Satan Suqami, a Saudi national on American Airlines Flight 11, whose passport was recovered in the rubble.
The FBI is also investigating possible connections Atta and another man only identified as Alchennen had in Hamburg, Germany. Acting on a tip from the FBI, a German SWAT team searched a residence where Atta and Alchennen allegedly once lived and found it empty. According to the investigators, neighbors said the home had been empty since February. Investigators attempted to collect fingerprints and other potential evidence.