Two Suns?

Jasperkins

I took these photos while I was in the United Emirates a few years ago and was going back through some of my photos and noticed this phenomenon. What is your thoughts on why I am seeing two suns in the photos? I took several shots but I will only post one to save space.

IMG_E0348.JPG

Is that a third one just atop the second minaret from the right? Or a reflection of something else?

Could be an internal reflection in the camera.
Possibly, though it seems a little too close to the center compared to the actual sun -- perhaps the image has been cropped?IMG_E0348.JPGI also wonder if the odd blurring of the tops it the taller dome and the minarets is significant... some smudges on the window, if there is a window? Or what?

Last edited:
The second sun appears much less bright, which looks very much like the usual effect when shooting through double glazing. Here are a couple of photos of a “double moon” I took through my kitchen window the other day. The relative position of the two moons shifted depending on exactly where I held the camera.

52264F34-861D-4F9B-813C-5B8F5C2C7D23.jpeg
3427F283-E057-45AA-B4C7-79EC4E30F2D5.jpeg

Possibly, though it seems a little too close to the center compared to the actual sun -- perhaps the image has been cropped?IMG_E0348.JPGI also wonder if the odd blurring of the tops it the taller dome and the minarets is significant... some smudges on the window, if there is a window? Or what?

It must have been taken from inside - looking at the angle and elevation of the photo it appears to have been taken from the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Abu Dhabi.

1686045852815.png

This photosphere on Google Maps is taken from near the railings on the roof garden in the foreground - turning round you can see the windows of the hotel which the photo must have been taken from.

I also wonder if the odd blurring of the tops it the taller dome and the minarets is significant... some smudges on the window, if there is a window? Or what?
Considering their position at the very top of structures, might the blurred areas just be schlieren caused by what I assume is rather intense heat in that location, as the hot air from the city rises up the minarets and dome into a cooler upper layer of air?

It must have been taken from inside - looking at the angle and elevation of the photo it appears to have been taken from the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Abu Dhabi.

1686045852815.png

This photosphere on Google Maps is taken from near the railings on the roof garden in the foreground - turning round you can see the windows of the hotel which the photo must have been taken from.
Yes, I took this photo from a window inside the Ritz Carlton as you show. Good job!

Yes, I took this from behind a large window.

This is a reflection caused by a a picture taken through a window with 2 glasses. Depending on the glass arltireflex threaent the two lights could be equals in intensity

You need 2 glasses in the middle with some centimeters of separation between them

Back