Sparkles in the Sky After the 2024 Eclipse

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

Source: https://www.tiktok.com/@misfitvibes/video/7355602705995320618

Not sure if that's the original. Here I've stabilized a segment of it that's most zoomed in

It reminds me of circling seagulls, however there are times when they seem too bright.

Here's a video I took: [Edit: my video 100% shows seagulls]

Somewhat similar brightening, but not as bright.

So, something else? Or something similar, but with different lighting/camera?

Last edited:
So, something else? Or something similar, but with different lighting/camera?
Your photo shows them mostly headed in one direction. The earlier one shows them apparently wheeling, so at some point in a circular flight pattern they would be in a position to look the brightest, and appear and disappear as they turned. Yes, they look exceptionally bright, but might that be from the particular position of the sun, or the camera setting chosen? Or just the species of birds? Larger birds, perhaps.

Short version: they look like birds.

apparently white rock pigeons are pretty prevalent in Nevada. I was wondering if anyone would do a pigeon coop experiment during eclipse (although we have no idea if this tiktok was right after eclipse or not as Nevada only had a very partial)

this guys pigeons are not white..they are grey but still get some bright spots.
and there is another white spot that pops up in video from time to time that is further away and is not one of his 3 pigeons.

note: 1 landed and refused to fly as sky darkened but 2 kept going. (coop pigeons typically fly 20-60 mins)
his 3:
pig4.png
a side by side, not sure how to get his cloud brightness to match but kinda close:

pig3.png

heres ex of his 3 and a new white pop up (it only lasts 1 frame)
jj.png

1712863087889.png

I have cropped the footage and tweaked contrast a bit, it looks like paper rising up:

Celebratory confetti from upwind?
what's to celebrate? shes in the 30% range
1712873335293.png

not to mention those would be seriously big pieces of paper.

there is a medium size river 1.5 miles in that direction.

Last edited:
what's to celebrate?
Who knows? People scheduled weddings to coincide with the eclipse, presumably any number of other reasons to celebrate would be possible, eclipse-related or coincidental
not to mention those would be seriously big pieces of paper.
This seems a stronger objection, if we assume all videos show the same phenomenon.

.i'll see what i can see about it)
all i see is their mountains have "goldilocks snow ie. "just right"" and they got more snow on easter. can snow pieces blow off a mountain 5 miles away? shes about 2 miles closer to the mountains than this park [easter egg hunt 2024].
Screenshot 2024-04-11 212426.png

Last edited:
what "all videos?"
Misfitvibes's and Micks.

It now occurs to me that Mick's vid may have been intended to demonstrate seagulls looking something like Misfitvibes's video, I had taken it for "I saw something similar, what is it?" My assumption there may have been in error!

It now occurs to me that Mick's vid may have been intended to demonstrate seagulls looking something like Misfitvibes's video, I had taken it for "I saw something similar, what is it?" My assumption there may have been in error!
i know, i had to reread it to find where he mentioned seagulls too! :)

Misfitvibes's and Micks.

Yeah, mine is definitely seagulls, I have a small collection of similar videos and photos.

Here we can see the variations in brightness

2024-04-12_00-27-16.jpg

With flocks of gulls (seagulls is a colloquial term for the various species in the group of birds known as gulls) you will often get a mix of juvenile gulls which dont have the bright white plumage. It's also possible to get a mix of species some of which will have darker wing tops than others.

Back