Claim: Putin's approval ratings soar

Mendel

Senior Member.
"State owned research company."
I detect a potential source of bias there. But in general you'd expect to see folks rally around the leader in times of crisis, at least initially. And Mr. Putin has certainly created a crisis...

But in general you'd expect to see folks rally around the leader in times of crisis, at least initially.
Yes. Except that 71% isn't much of a rallying effect when it looks like 60% was an outlier or a statistical fluke. I think they've been cherry-picking to upsell this poll, if it's actually an honest poll.

Was it a telephone survey? I'm trying to imagine how the call would go:

"Good morning, is that Ivan Ivanovich of 23 Nevsky Prospekt, Kursk? Yes? We are conducting an opinion poll. This telephone call may be recorded for training purposes, but please be assured that your responses will be entirely confidential and anonymous. So, Ivan Ivanovich, what do you think of our heroic President?"

those numbers are oddly similar.

Article:
According to a 2019 study of ten countries in the period 1990–2014, there is evidence of a rally-around-the-flag effect early on in an intervention with military casualties (in at least the first year) but voters begin to punish the governing parties after 4.5 years.[8] A 2021 study found weak effects for the rally-around-the-flag effect.[9]

Historical examples in the U.S.[edit]
The effect has been examined within the context of nearly every major foreign policy crisis since World War II. Some notable examples:

Cuban Missile Crisis: According to Gallup polls, President John F. Kennedy's approval rating in early October 1962 was at 61%. By November, after the crisis had passed, Kennedy's approval rose to 74%. The spike in approval peaked in December 1962 at 76%. Kennedy's approval rating slowly decreased again until it reached the pre-crisis level of 61% in June 1963.[3][10]

"State owned research company."
I detect a potential source of bias there. But in general you'd expect to see folks rally around the leader in times of crisis, at least initially. And Mr. Putin has certainly created a crisis...

Where did your quoted text come from - The Daily Fail?
In 2016, the Russian Ministry of Justice placed the Levada Center on the register of NGOs performing the functions of foreign agents. The center disagrees with this decision and trys to challenge it in court.
Content from External Source
-- https://www.levada.ru/en/about-us/

I'm not saying they're not biased, obviously, just disputing the quoted text.

Back