Debunked: The "Deep Shield" Hoax

Jay Reynolds

Senior Member.
This thread details a hoax within a hoax which has become part of chemtrails lore. It was started by David G. Stewart in 2002, when he fabricated a story supposedly written by a scientist who had personal knowledge of chemtrails. When I confronted him with discrepancies, Stewart admitted he had written the document, but claimed that he had written it based on notes from a conversation. Pressed to show proof that his claimed insider was real, Stewart claimed that his source had committed suicide. Though the claimed source was deceased, Stewart would never mehtion his name, or gave any supporting documentation or direct references for the source.

I find this to be a hoax because nothing said was confirmable, and it continues a long line of hoaxed "whistleblower's" who never actually produce anything confirmable.
The element of non-confirmability is key to discerning the authenticity of a source. It simply does not make sense for a genuine "whistleblower" to come forward without anything confirmable such as a location, date, funding document, names of persons involved, etc. Why take the risk of even come forward if you bring nothing to the table which others can use, and why risk such exposure?
The key question to ask when evaluating such a claim is "Who benefits by taking such a risk?"

Usually, the hoaxer tries to remain anonymous, but in cases where the hoaxer uses his identity, he usually has the motive of self-aggrandizement.
Often, as with the case of Richard Finke, and with David G. Stewart, though the source is said by the hoaxer to be subject to death and destruction, the hoaxer who relays the claimed information seems immune to such sanctions and continues on in life even though he was the one who actually brought the material forward.

In 2002, David G. Stewart posted the following:
David G. Stewart said:
Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002
posted by David G. Stewart
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chemtrailtrackingusa/messages/90272
Subject: I asked a freind, who asked a relative, who knew a person who....

Ok, this is a long one. I just became aware of the probelm in our skies, and to tell the truth I have read all sorts of theories, from anti terrorist things to the take over of some super government.
Since all of these options lay open, I contacted a freind who has a relative who... Well you get the picture. I do not know how truthful this is, but the email I received this evening includes the following:
Do you really want to know what is going on? It isn't pretty, and it is far worse than the imagined evils that have been attributed to so called `Chemtrails'.

The truth of the matter is that the Earth is dieing.

The UV Summer started back in 1990-92 - it its growing worse exponentially, in a few years UV levels will be high enough to cause serious ecological disaster which will have a direct impact on crops. Presently we would have nearly 30% more cases of skin cancer if nothing had been done.

Another side effect of all the pollutants is the Green House effect a very real problem that I fear we under estimated several years ago. In early 1993 a few events took place which showed that Global Warming was speeding up, meaning that the earlier estimates which had a 2'F global warming in 50 years was far off the mark, more like 20 years.

We, mankind and the industry that supports us, made a terrible, costly mistake. We waited to too long to change our ways.

In the 1980's a conference was joined together of many scientists and military brass. In closed, Top Secret meetings everything and I mean everything was placed on the table. The general information is in the public domain; however, it is policy to stress the optimistic outlook for the Future of Earth.

This took place around the time the Wall Fell and the Iron Curtain came down. These events are directly linked to the secret meetings that took place. The notion of political boundaries became moot when faced with extinction. Yes, a few nations till hold back, but these are the ones who refuse to see very real problems.

Much of the intelligence and the data that was placed on the table came out of the old Soviet Union. They too had seen the problem and were concerned. As President Reagan pointed out, it would take an outside force that threatened humanity as whole to bring about world peace. Ironically as he spoke those worlds the crises was mounting.

The purposes of the closed-door meetings were to discuss in real terms what the coming events for earth were. Further, to offer working immediate solutions and to set up reasonable long-term goals. When the meetings started it was a fair certainty that something had to be done it was rather obvious that something was wrong. It wasn't until the meetings went on that the exact magnitude of the disaster was understood for the very first time. The combined data showed that this generation, our generation would see the end of life as we know it. A true extinction level event that was forecasted to include up to 89% of all species and poise a very real threat not only to the existence of our civilization but our species as well.

The going odds were less than 10% that mankind would survive.

Two major problems faced us; Global Warming and UV Summer.

Global Warming, as you may know, is far more than just a rise in earth's average temperature, it also includes a rising of sea water, not only from the melt of the polar ice, but from the expansion of water when heated.

Take a look at any map of the world and you will quickly note that the major population centers reside in the coastlands and low lands of the world. If we allow the seas to rise we would lose all of those homes. Evacuation of a good chunk of the earths population is not feasible.

It would also mean that more water vapor would enter into the atmosphere charging storms with more energy causing greater storm damage. Heat the Atlantic a few degrees and Hurricanes become Hypercans, storms of such size and strength that nothing in their path can survive.

Winters would become far worse, super blizzards that would bury cities and towns, then afterward would melt into floodwaters. Increased precipitation worldwide would be seen. Further areas that had once seen abundant rain would suddenly enter major drought.

Super weather patterns would kill, the droughts would destroy our ability to feed the 6+ billion people on earth - combined with coastal and low land flooding our civilization would not survive.

Venice Italy is a prime example of the realities of global warming, it is flooding much more now than 20 years ago. In recent decades we have seen large chunks of the Antarctic ice pack break off - large as Rhode Island.

Alaska and Greenland are showing signs of global warming as well. The mean average temperature of Earth has increased dramatically - more than what is reported. It is heating up faster with each passing year. The more heat that is trapped, the more wide spread and dramatic the effects are. Look back over the past decade of weather patterns. One will easily see the impact of Global Warming.

UV Summer is here; it has been here for a while. Without protection we would be seeing more instances of skin cancer. This problem has been down played as well, however I am most certain that a resourceful person can find the real statistics for skin cancer cases and also real statistics on how much flooding of the coastal regions is taking place and the number and severity of storms. The evidence is out there. Buried under controlled skepticism and directed debunking.

With all of this in mind and with the reality of our future being very dim indeed, it was decided to do something. Several ideas were considered. A large solar array placed between the Earth and the Sun, it would do much to cool the earth, however it would do little to reduce the poisoning by UV Radiation (As well as other cosmic radiations that are deflected by the Ozone Layer.

A series of smaller reflective discs placed in Orbit between Sun and Earth was considered, but the same UV problem would be there.

Detonation of several high yield nuclear weapons was considered as well, it was thought that the controlled nuclear winter would reduce the amount of UV and Infrared reaching the surface, however no one wanted to risk radiation poisoning, and who in their right mind would willingly detonate nuclear weapons? The outcry from the public would be intense.

The initial Stratospheric `Shadow' Plan which called for the spraying of reflective dust combined with other elements that would cause condensation therefore precipitation was considered, however, this required spraying in the upper regions of the atmosphere.

Ozone is created by radiation bombardment (mainly UV) of the Oxygen atom. This is how the Earth has maintained its Ozone Layer for millions of years. Had we sprayed in that region of the atmosphere it was feared that the natural production of Ozone would be hampered, requiring repeated applications over centuries of time.

We were faced with one viable option, and that was to lower the altitude where seeding would be done.

Many metals and substances were considered. The Stratospheric Seeding would have used titanium oxide and aluminum oxide conjunction with silver iodine and other trace metals. The idea was to create a long lasting umbrella that would reflect sunlight back out into space.

At lower levels in the atmosphere these particles would be inhaled by organisms this drastically reduce the number of substances that could have been used. (Note: even at higher altitudes it was feared that the dust would settle out in time, over generations - the risk of side effects was far lower than one would imagine)

What is being used is the only combination that will do the job of adverting ecological disaster while having the least amount of impact on human and animal life.

It came down to a matter of numbers. Without treatment we faced an extinction level event. With treatment we see possible survival with a loss of a few hundred million, possibly 2 billion if one considers the long-term effects of near constant exposure to the substances used to create the shield.

It may appear that this is an open and shut case and that if provided with the choices the human race would agree to this spraying. The Good of the many far outweighs the good of a few.

Unfortunately there is a little bit more to the picture.

There is a standing need to deal with the problem fast. The greatest threat to the project was that the arguments and the sideline debates and the weighing of the pros and cons would drag out until it was far to late for even this extreme measure.Remember that all of this was being done During the Clinton Administration. Look back at that period of time and you will find that there were a few stage shows put on world wide to entertain and pull attention away from the ecological problems we faced.

Trust me, Clinton really didn't have sex with that woman. But he did agree to have his name dragged through the mud to pull the attention to him.

Several other events took place, which were staged as well, all of which were designed to keep the masses busy.

There are a few opponents to the shield project. They made their presence felt on 9-11-01. No, it wasn't the Taliban or Bin Laden who caused these events, it was those who are opposed and are fighting the only working solution to an impossible problem.

What is going on has far reaching implications. The general strife we see today is partially due to the threat that our species faces. There are those who would rather see nothing done than to have this project carried out.

If it was revealed just how bad things really are, I assure you, the ensuing panic would cause greater damage than the suspicious mumblings that have been heard when it comes to Chem-Trails.

I tell you these things to set the record straight and to impress upon you the need to refrain from causing panic. The threat to humanity is not from the planes spraying overhead, but from the impact that mankind has had on this delicate planet.

Earth is dieing. The program in place is only a stop gap measure. The more dire estimates tell us that the problem is too far advanced to stop ecological disaster. The oceans are dieing, the fresh water supply is depleted, and the very ground in which we grow our crops is yielding up poisons.

Global Warming and UV Summer are the issues that face us today, tomorrow we will be looking at famine, thirst and the spread of disease.

We have forestalled for a few decades the death of our civilization. It is not a cure; it is not the solution. Unless a miracle takes place during the next 20 years, mankind and planet earth will die.

Look back at the past two decades of political history to see the truth of these words. Look at the events as being a result of the threat that humanity faces. When the Soviet Union folded, it did so to the amazement of many Do you honestly think that the Soviet Union folded due to financial problems?

Look at the years of relative peace we have enjoyed, do you think that all of these nations who were once at each other's throat decided to set aside their differences magically?

The fast development of the European Union is another sign of the times. A United Europe has never been possible before, but suddenly it is not only possible, but happening.

A friend

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chemtrailtrackingusa/message/90260
Posted by David G. Stewart
Monday, Dec 2, 2002
David G. Stewart said:
Having read your email, I must say that you are full of questions. These questions I would dismiss immediately as being the frustrated attempts of fringe groups to bring a halt to the project, however these reports of biological material being part of the spray should be addressed. Therefore I will give as much attention to all of your questions as possible.
.........2. If this spraying is to mitigate global warming, why does so much of it take place at night?

Though it would appear that the dispersal rate of the spray is fast, it is actually takes much longer to be an effective shield. There is a desired concentration being sought. One that is thick enough to stem the UV and the Infrared, while being thin enough to allow visible light through. A perpetual cloud cover would have disastrous effects on plant life; the food chain thus disrupted would soon collapse. The desired effect wanted is a thin cover that would theoretically create a daytime haze that allows plenty of sunlight while providing protection. From UV radiation and also reflect enough infrared to maintain nominal temperatures.

The optimal condition is to use the least amount of material to provide the maximum amount of shielding. Ideally that would be a one-time application which would stay suspended for years, however, as noted, barium and aluminum and other trace elements are far heavier than air and they sink rather rapidly. The different temperatures between day and night causes massive volumes of air to rise during the night, the warm air trapped at the surface rises above the cooling air above. By strategically spraying in certain areas at night, we get the advantage of the rising air, which not only pushes the material higher, but also causes the material to disperse into a thin layer.

I would suggest studying on the subject of weather, namely highs and lows and how air moves to fully understand the times of spraying. I note, it is not just global warming we are combating here, we are also combating UV Summer. Global warming could effectively be treated by applications during the night, when the warm air rises. However the UV needs to be treated during the day. This is why on some days one finds that more spraying is done during the day. The UV indexes are monitored constantly for local areas. If the problem were simply cooling the earth, rockets would have been used to suspend particles in the high atmosphere. However the delicate nature of the Ozone Layer precludes this method of shielding. More on this in the answer to Question 6.

.....Look at the kinds of material being used, aluminum, barium, titanium, etc. Most are highly reflective; in some instances the material is an absorber of gasses. In the case of reflection the desire is to reflect X amount of heat and X amount of UV while still maintaining acceptable (nominal) levels of UV and heat reaching the planet's surface."
============================================
What I did was to copy/paste some of what the "source" said, and eventually found it word-for word as being copy/pasted from a website.
original "Deep Shield" hoax:
http://www.holmestead.ca/chemtrails/shieldproject.html

This was copied from an encyclopedia, and the text ended up in Question #3 of 'Deep Shield:

infoplease encyclopedia said:
Barium is often used in barium-nickel alloys for spark-plug electrodes and in vacuum tubes as a drying and oxygen-removing agent. Barium oxidizes in air, and it reacts vigorously with water to form the hydroxide, liberating hydrogen. In moist air it may spontaneously ignite. It burns in air to form the peroxide, which produces hydrogen peroxide when treated with water. Barium reacts with almost all of the nonmetals; all of its water-soluble and acid-soluble compounds are poisonous. Barium carbonate is used in glass, as a pottery glaze, and as a rat poison.
http://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/barium

This was also copied from an encyclopedia, and the text ended up in queston 4 of "Deep Shield":

infoplease encyclopedia said:
Pure ozone is an unstable, faintly bluish gas with a characteristic fresh, penetrating odor. The gas has a density of 2.144 grams per liter at standard temperature and pressure. Below its boiling point (-112?) ozone is a dark blue liquid; below its melting point (-193?) it is a blue-black crystalline solid. Ozone is triatomic oxygen, O3, and has a molecular weight of 47.9982 atomic mass units (amu). It is the most chemically active form of oxygen. It is formed in the ozone layer of the stratosphere by the action of solar ultraviolet light on oxygen. Although it is present in this layer only to an extent of about 10 parts per million, ozone is important because its formation prevents most ultraviolet and other high-energy radiation, which is harmful to life, from penetrating to the earth's surface. Ultraviolet light is absorbed when its strikes an ozone molecule; the molecule is split into atomic and diatomic oxygen: 03+ ultraviolet light ->0+02. Later, in the presence of a catalyst, the atomic and diatomic oxygen reunite to form ozone.
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0837213.html

When confronted with this discrepancy, David G. Stewart admitted he had written it himself, but tried to save face by claiming he had done so because he was not allowed by his informant to record anything.

=============================================
http://web.archive.org/web/20030608063519/www.chemtrailcentral.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000078-2.html
Posted By David G. Stewart
June 4, 2003
David G. Stewart said:
"Yes, there was three posts made which are said to be emails from A Friend.

I lied."

"My source did not send me emails, especially from work. I think we all are aware that every piece of electronic mail is monitored, and that if a person is closely tied into a project of this magnitude that they would have a close surveillance of their emails."
"I met with my source a few times. I took notes, I did not dictate - I do not write fast enough to do so. Thus if the writing style is familiar, well, you now know why."
"Yes, I did quote a few things out of the encyclopedia, my notes were far from perfect when it came to technical stuff. Again, they were notes, not dictation.

Note that Stewart says, "I did not dictate." rather than "He did not dictate."

Eventually, at Brian Holmes website, Stewart confirmed that he had written the text

September, 2003
http://www.holmestead.ca/chemtrails/stewart.html
David G. Stewart said:
"I am the source through which the Deep Shield letters came through."
"The Shield Project (his name, this is not the name of the project officially) is a poor attempt to reduce the damage of Global Warming and Ozone Depletion."
"The only logical reason for any spray program is to protect the earth (a system of life which is delicate to the extreme) from some threat. The disadvantages of using known toxins must be outweighed by the advantages - I can only draw one conclusion that the threat of UV summer and major climatic, global warming is worth the risk of poisoning 30% of the earth, humanity and otherwise."
"In August my source told me that things will continue to get worse, not better. He also told me that new materials, more toxic materials will start showing up in samples of rainwater and air. He also warned me that sooner or later the governments of earth will basically release the information everyone wants - simply because the costs are so high that there will be no choice but come clean and tell world what it faces.
He thinks (based on the information he has) that this will happen by 2005."

It has been six years since, and nothing of the sort has come to pass.

I had just come across the "Holmstead" website and was about to ask about this "Deep Shield" thing. Glad to see it already covered here. Jay, do you think the Holmes guy was duped by the hoaxer, or was part of a hoax? That holmstead site is amazingly extensive. Know anything about Holmes? Any recent activity from him?

Last edited:
Back