Why are Starlink "Racetrack" Flares [Mostly] Reported from Planes?

I've just seen this one... could it be Starlink again...?

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/1csc0o6/ufo_spotted_on_flight_to_newark_nj/?share_id=lRVI-CHO_ZCPaxlTqji3T&utm_content=1&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_source=share&utm_term=1

I was on a flight from San Juan, PR to Newark, Nj on 05/14/2024. Flight was UAL2036. It was 10:05-10:10pm and the flight was a bit away from reaching land in NJ-NY. The flight was around 7000 feet up going around 300 MPH. I looked outside the window at the time because we were told to get ready for landing. I saw a bright light outside in the distance. Couldn’t tell you approximate distance but did not seem fairly close. I made sure to check if it was a reflection from the inside cabin, it was not. The flight showed up in the bottom left view of my window, it seemed to move up and to the right where it was ahead of the plane wing. It dropped down and went back to where it started. Another light appeared right next to it and was glowing a bit brighter. A third light appeared from the right and went towards to the other two on the left. At this point the second light that randomly appeared on the left disappeared, the other two dimmed a bit and disappeared as well after another minute.

So while this was happening I did take video in which you can see the lights. Due to the lack of quality in dark spaces and the reflection of the window and humidity inside the cabin, its not the most high quality stuff but you can see the movements of the light. I tried to google the flight radar info to check in maybe there was a flight flying towards the plane at a different direction but was not able to pull it up. I also tried to be mindful of the movement of the plane in regards to the movement of the light. I would say the plane was not making a drastic movements while this was happening as you can kinda see the horizon light below the clouds in the video.

Would like some thoughts on what this might be. Please disregard any gramatical errors made, I was trying to write down everything quickly.

Link to video

Source: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-XWqsaQqSK5u_6-cEsfAKGjSAl0fBrFy/view?usp=drivesdk

Edit:

Flight date was 05/14/2024

1715784086484.png

Attachments

• UA2036-3538a35e.kml
    992.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Seems to be in the right place, right time, for Starlink flares

(@Mick West - sitrec doesn't seem to be 1) showing the flare band and 2) showing flare-arrows when using the kml as the camera position source)

1715784823245.png

(@Mick West - sitrec doesn't seem to be 1) showing the flare band and 2) showing flare-arrows when using the kml as the camera position source)
Oops! I've been making some significant "improvements" to the code, which invariably have side-effects. I'll fix this ASAP.

Oops! I've been making some significant "improvements" to the code, which invariably have side-effects. I'll fix this ASAP.
Should be fixed. I could not duplicate #2, but it might be a side effect of other things I fixed. If it's still happening, please post the KML and how you make it happen.

I think I had the time wrong, used the last saved metadata time rather than the created time. that puts the aircraft much further on in its flight and therefore unlikely to be Starlink flares.

1000113761.jpg

Back