Why the site was unstable for a while (APC shm_size and ttl)

Mick West

Staff member
After upgrading to Xenforo I thought I'd do a bit of tweaking, to try to speed things up a bit. So I turned on caching. I copied a config file that used more memory. The site started crashing after a while. I turned off caching. It still crashed. A few hours of trying to fix things ensued.

Long story short. APC Cache works best and will rarely flush when it has much more memory than it needs, and it won't crash things (presumably things that don't handle error codes) if the TTL is set to 0.

Sorry for the downtime and any lost typing. On the upside, I discovered the cache was being flushed pretty much constantly before, so things seem a bit faster now.

Last edited: