Why "Racetrack" UFOs are mostly Starlink Flares

flarkey

Senior Member.
Staff member
Regarding my post above, in which I said....
Edit 2: Hmm, a time of 0056Z doesnt really support the flaring Starlink hypothesis. However, if the aircrew had been using a phone with a clock that was synchronised to East Coast USA time of UTC-5, then it would fit perfectly.

Got a reply from the witness on PPrune... (I was right!)

1669113090692.png

Checking in-the-sky.org it shows (as expected) that the conditions for flaring Starlink satellites were present again.

1669114452972.png

Last edited:

Ravi

Senior Member.
On one hand I cannot blame pilots to not be aware of the extreme amount of Starlink satellites orbiting. But, on the other hand, should that not be at some point become common knowledge? The Starlink constellation will only get bigger. I mean, they (pilots) must at some point come to a kind of consensus, right?

flarkey

Senior Member.
Staff member
On one hand I cannot blame pilots to not be aware of the extreme amount of Starlink satellites orbiting. But, on the other hand, should that not be at some point become common knowledge? The Starlink constellation will only get bigger. I mean, they (pilots) must at some point come to a kind of consensus, right?

Yes, there needs to be something official published and widely circulated, either by an Aviation Authority such as FAA, CAA or EASA, or perhaps by a professional body such as https://www.balpa.org/ , to ensure that aircrews are made aware of this. Although it isn't a genuine flight safety risk for collision, it can't be good for pilots to be distracted or confused when they see such a phenomenon.

Ann K

Senior Member.
I think the time will come - soon - that other pilots will publicly laugh at them for not knowing what they are, and the number of reports will dwindle toward zero. Peer pressure will get to them faster than scientific analysis.