Where did the third trail go?

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Earlier this week, on Monday, January 2, 2016, I took this short video of a private jet and its contrail:
Source: https://youtu.be/I0kCYGinf-4

The aircraft details were not available on FR24:
Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 20.29.12.png
The callsign and a distinct livery helped me to identify it as Dassault Falcon 900LX LX-LXL:
by Andy Stevens, on Flickr

This identification, however, has resulted in a conundrum: there are only two trails forming behind this three-engine plane.
Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 21.12.34.png
Where did the trail of the tail engine go? Or could this engine have been switched off just before I took the video, as the aircraft began its descent from 40,000 ft?

Last edited:

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.
Are you sure there's no third trail? I see something faint in between the thick trails, not sure if it's an artifact.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The third engine there is radically different to the other two in that it does not vent directly behind, but instead goes down and under the tail. This could account for some difference.
20170104-132904-kwo5a.jpg

Hmm, unless that's just the intake, and the engine is actually in the tail, which might make more sense.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, it is just an intake.

Off the top of my head, I'd think this would make the intake air slightly hotter?

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Are you sure there's no third trail? I see something faint in between the thick trails, not sure if it's an artifact.
I think that the conundrum is probably due to the arrangement of the three engines. They are quite close to each other and all in one plane with the tail engine being well behind the other two. Therefore the side engines will form trails earlier than the tail engine, which injects its exhaust in a warmed-up air between the two already formed trails. This could lead to a delayed condensation of the tail engine exhaust, perhaps, at about the distance where the side trails merge.

Unfortunately, so far I could not find more photos of the Falcon 900 trails to verify this hypothesis.

Edit:
There are photos of a bigger trijet with a similar arrangement of the engines, Falcon 7X. Their trails are very similar in appearance:
Dassault Falcon 7X by jpro747, on Flickr

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Staff member
It looks to me as though there is a trail forming in between the two outer ones. As noted above it would start quite a long way further back, if the engine is right in the tail.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Nanothermite on 9/11 - Where did the idea come from? 9/11 32
Rory Where online is debunking most effective? Practical Debunking 14
Mick West Where are you on the Generic Conspiracist Beliefs Scale? Practical Debunking 22
SFX Where to ask questions about posting? Site Feedback & News 5
Mick West Where and How could the Wallace Experiment Easily Be Repeated? Flat Earth 252
R Occasions where you don't engage a misconception CT? Practical Debunking 18
Hama Neggs Where does "Scientist" end and "debunker" begin? Practical Debunking 16
Mick West Converting mb (pressure) to altitude, and sites where this is useful Contrails and Chemtrails 10
Trailblazer SkyderALERT: where does the money go? Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West The Johnson and Johnson Settlement, where does it fit in the conspiracy world Conspiracy Theories 13
qed Where are the AE911 models? 9/11 79
Mick West Debunkers, Skeptics and Conspiracists: Where are you on the political compass? General Discussion 252
Tazmanian Where did the explosions come from? Boston Marathon Bombings 46
TWCobra Where is the Stratosphere today? Contrails and Chemtrails 96
qed Third of millennials NOT convinced Earth is round Flat Earth 27
lemonlover Debunked: NIST's collapse theory contradicts Newton's Third Law of Motion 9/11 183
A Request: Show a spot of specular reflection transforming into a trail of specular reflection Flat Earth 4
Mick West White Streak & Trail over N. California Dec 19 2018 - Meteor? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Deer Eyes Reflected in Trail Camera UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 9
Marine0811 Bent Trail seen over Greenville, SC [AA 1630] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
steve holmes Please ID this trail Contrails and Chemtrails 6
386 Small Green Anomaly with Blue Trail (Night Sky Photography) [Lens Flare/Reflection] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 22
Mick West Unusual Trail on the Russian Su-24 shot down By Turkey Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Trailspotter Unusually shaped trail over East Anglia Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Marin B A Single Thick Solitary Trail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Mick West Unusual Segment of Trail on KLAS-TV, Alamo, Las Vegas Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
JFDee Debunked: Sea Creature in New Zealand (Boat Trail on Google Maps) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 9
C Trail that forms curving shapes Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 21
Marine0811 90 Degree plane trail? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 77
Marine0811 Plane trail at wings, none at engines? [Aerodynamic contrails, no flaps] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Mick West Two planes at the "Same" Altitude, only one leaves a trail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
T Debunk: Chemtrails leave no space between aircraft and the beginning of the trail. Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Fix-it-man Nearly Vertical Trail over Garden Grove Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
TWCobra ILuyshin-96 oil leak photo (trail from single engine) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Marsiil KSDK - Chem-Trail Testing Contrails and Chemtrails 2
JFDee Meteorite trail near Chelyabinsk, Russia Contrails and Chemtrails 48
MikeC Meteor trail Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Related Articles

Related Articles