What's a good binocular to buy ?

Leifer

Senior Member.
What's a very good night astronomy (or all around) binoculars (brand / model) ??

I already have a Nikon Monarch 8x42.
What's a good step-up from there, without breaking my bank... sub $2k ?
(and can be mounted on a tripod)
??
I wear glasses (I remove them for binoculars), and I am "left eye sighted" dominate....it's my better eye.

Last edited:
I don't have room to store a Dobsonian reflector type telescope.....although that could have a camera mounted to it.
....and it's not that portable.

Last edited:
Resurfacing an old thread here.
The above video about telescopes is not related, and did not need to be posted (by me).
Since my first post about binocular choices.....I recently bought a Zeiss Conquest 10 x 42, replacing my older (gifted) Nikon 8 x 42 Monarch.
I did some 'birding' recently in South Texas, and the Zeiss were firmly adequate......along with a $120 monopod and the required Zeiss pod mount. The whole setup was extremely portable, and totaled out at about $1300 new and delivered to my temp hotel stay.
The moon looks exceptionally good through these new binoculars.

A note about language.... Why are they called a "pair of binoculars" ?
"Binocular" already means two, and a pair of them would mean four ???
I guess that since there are "monoculars" available..... and two of them could be considered "binocular", (and that would be a difficult task to achieve and use.).... one would call dual monoculars in the single term.... binoculars, but not "a pair of" binoculars.
A "pair" of pants would mean two pants, unless you suffered an unfortunate limb-eliminating accident.

Last edited:
A pair of binoculars is an incorrect colloquialisation that's in widespread use, it's not the "official" term.

A "pair" of pants would mean two pants, unless you suffered an unfortunate limb-eliminating accident.
English is not my first language. However, at school I learned that "a pair of" means one when the item consists of two identical parts, like glasses or trousers. In German we have something similar, "ein Paar Hosen" means one pant. Somewhat old fashioned though.

Back