What is that "star"

jaydeehess

Senior Member.
Last few evenings, around 5 pm Central Standard Time, Kenora, Ontario, Canada
A very bright star is in the southern sky. (almost directly south at that time)
Last evening despite light cloud and light pollution from nearby streetlights this star (and I expect it is actually a planet) was very brightly visible even though no other stars could be seen. Moon was not up yet.

I tried to google it but was not successful.
Anyone know what it is?

Last evening despite light cloud and light pollution from nearby streetlights this star (and I expect it is actually a planet) was very brightly visible even though no other stars could be seen. Moon was not up yet.

Anyone know what it is?

As Trailblazer stated above it sounds like Venus, which also has the nickname of "The Evening Star". I don't know if its possible for you to try(if you havent already) but i find using the Google Sky app on my phone helps me know what objects im looking at in the sky.

Last edited:
I used the website Heavens-above.com. You can enter your location easily and then it generates a sky map for any time you want.

Thanks for the replies.
I will have to remember heavens-above.com for future use. I knew there must be star maps out in cyberspace.
I had thought it might be Venus but I guess the only times I have noticed Venus was when it was close to the Moon and in this case the Moon wasn't even close to it.
I did think it was probably a planet anyway as it did not appear to be twinkling, but my eyes ain't what they used to be and I wasn't sure I would see the difference.

Thanks again

Don't rule out aliens....Could be just parked. Or, possible a broken down spacecraft awaiting for inter-stellar roadside assistance.

Anyone know what it is?
It will be Venus as it is the brightest light in the sky after the sun goes down at the moment and not too far from the sun. It will be in the same spot every evening so you will have lots of time to see it. The only time it will be near the moon is a few days after a new moon and it will be just a sliver of a moon. Actually you have reminded me to keep a look out for it. Should be in about 12 days or so seeing as we just had a full moon a few days ago. Possibly new years eve-ish?

Back