Using Google Earth Identify Contrails and other Objects in the Sky

Trailspotter

Trailspotter, could you give us a bit of a tutorial on how you model contrails, or the path of an aircraft, on Google Earth?
Maybe start a new thread for that. Thanks in antici - Pation.
This is something that I have learnt from Mick on Contrail Science (I was there under my first name Alexey). Mick is a much more advanced user of Google Earth that I am and therefore is in a better position to give you a tutorial. He also gave me a few hints about some simple tools provided by Google Earth that I have been using here.

To model a contrail I use 'add path' tool. It allows to draw a line of chosen width, colour and transparency and place it at any given altitude above the ground.

I use 'add image overlay' tool to find the coordinates of modelled contrails. It allows the superpositions of maps and satellite images that can be resized and rotated to match them to the ground features. In the investigation of the Manchester contrail star, I have overlaid FR24 screenshots of selected flight routes and used the lines of these routes as a guide for modelling their contrails. Each contrail was placed at the altitude of the corresponding flight, as reported on FR24.

My favourite Google Earth tool is 'add photo'. For the known position and orientation of the camera and photo's FOV
it allows a direct comparison of the actual camera view with a modelled Google Earth view from the same location. What is more important, this tool can be used in combination with other Google tools to find an exact camera location, if unknown. Below is how it is done for the photo of the contrail star from ATS.

chemmiehell.jpg
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1018231/pg1&mem=

I've selected this photo for two reasons. First, it shows that the contrails crossing at the top point of the 'star' are very young and have not been carried by wind too far from the modelled positions. Second, the photo shows the front part of a house, the location of which probably can be verified on Google StreetView. If my identification of the corresponding flights is correct, the time of the photo is 17:39 UTC. The time is important here, as the Sun position can be used to narrow down the search area.

in Google Earth menu bar, there is a tool for showing sunlight for a given date and time. By adding the Sun position to the contrail star model and viewing them from different ground locations in the Greater Manchester area, I have found that their mutual positions match the photo the best in the neighbourhood of Brinnington, a north-eastern suburb of Stockport.

pentagram_photo_overlay.jpg

I have explored this area further on Google Earth and Google StreetView and found the house, the details and surrounding of which match well those on the photo:

Screen shot 2014-07-10 at 13.50.58.png

The photo probably has been taken from inside the front court where Google StreetView car did not go.

The results of this exercise ultimately prove the identification of the flights that formed the Manchester contrail star.

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on location, turning on 3D Buildings can also be very helpful. Like street view but less constrained, and you can see the sky

Trailspotter

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Cassi O Google Maps Measure Distance Using Great Circle Flat Earth 0
Mick West Measuring 5G EMF and using ICNIRP Guidelines 5G and Other EMF Health Concerns 13
Stefan Leahu Using railways to view curvature Flat Earth 3
danno Using a very long water level to measure Earth's curvature Flat Earth 16
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Mick West Kai Kostack's WTC7 Collapse Simulation using BCB and Blender 9/11 10
T FE balloon video curvature analysis using Blender Flat Earth 4
Rory How to Show the Horizon is Below Eye Level, Using Actual Eyes Flat Earth 59
Rory Using Mountain Ranges to Predict the Shape of the Earth Flat Earth 11
Bill Statler "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence": practical problems using this argument Practical Debunking 3
ki_cz NASA using green screen to fake ISS experiment footage Science and Pseudoscience 14
Balance Taurus Molecular Cloud Generator - actually an oil field firefighter Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Leifer Using comedy to reverse, or promote bunk Practical Debunking 10
M Claim: MH17 was shot down by separatists using BUK stolen from Ukraine army Flight MH17 32
Leifer Video Capture using VLC ?? Site Feedback & News 8
Eric Wayne KFC Mutant Chicken Hoax using my own Photoshop Hatchet Work General Discussion 7
Libertarian Claims Ukranian military using civilian planes as cover Flight MH17 72
Pete Tar Debunked: Using 13.56Mhz radio waves and HAARP to remove Methane from the Atmosphere HAARP 7
Panopticon_ISIS Using the term "debunking" Practical Debunking 10
Cairenn Debunked: Mercedes-Benz using chemtrails Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Mick West Using Campaign Finance Reform to Debunk Conspiracy Theories Practical Debunking 25
Mattnik 'John Brennan Sworn in as CIA Director Using Constitution Lacking Bill of Rights' General Discussion 10
U Using drones to spray chemtrails Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West Debunked: "war of perception... conducted continuously using the news media" Quotes Debunked 1
J Does google earth pro simulate refraction [No] Flat Earth 7
Mick West Do Polls and Google Trends show Chemtrail Belief Declining? Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Mick West KML Tool For Visualizing Google Earth Cameras, and More Tools for Investigating and Debunking 5
Mechanik Plane Image on Google Maps in Cambodia - MH370 Speculation Flight MH370 10
Mick West Explained: Floating Triangle UFO in Buenos Aires Google Maps [Bridge] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
ki_cz 13,000 mile white line in Google Earth Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Explained: Why Some Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shooting Google Search Results Predate the Event Conspiracy Theories 1
Mick West Debunked: Corbett Report Targeted by Google/Youtube Conspiracy Theories 37
Mick West Matching GOES-16 or other Geostationary Satellite Views in Google Earth Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
ManFrito Red Dragon, Cassini Picture Being Used As Nibiru Proof Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
HoaxEye 6 Giant Towers discovered on the Moon [Digital Artifacts/Glitches] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 33
Mick West Recreating the missing section of IB6830's ADS-B track Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Converting PlaneFinder.net Tracks to Google Earth KML Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Views of Toronto from Hamilton and Fort Niagara Illustrate Earth's Curvature Flat Earth 44
Critical Thinker Google News Will Start Highlighting Fact Check Stories In Results General Discussion 0
Mick West Two Contrails, One Gap. How side-by-side contrails can differ Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Mick West Debunked: Google shares raw traffic stats with #MPAA about file sharing sites General Discussion 0
Mackdog Google to start debunking General Discussion 21
C Odd Structures in Google Maps in Nevada Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 23
JFDee Debunked: Sea Creature in New Zealand (Boat Trail on Google Maps) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 9
John X Moon anomalies UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 37
Steve Funk Geoengineering illustration [From New Scientist, 2009] Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Chew Google Earth file of weather balloon launch sites Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Redwood Debunked: Google photos show Ottawa Parliament bullet holes are fake Conspiracy Theories 115
Ezswo Debunked: MH17 - 10 Previous Flightpaths Different From 17-7 Flight MH17 27
Mick West New sharing buttons Site Feedback & News 0
Related Articles

Related Articles