Unexplained Mysteries on Google Maps [Explained]

Jason

My buddy sent me a link this morning in an email, and there was one that really caught my eye. I'm sure there is a really good explanation for these mistakes, but this one is just hard to explain. There are a few of them involving planes "apparently" parked in a yard. The other ones look superimposed or something like the plane was in the way of the photo from the satellite, and it added the plane into the contour of the land. Guessing? But this one is just hard to explain. First off the shadows seem to line up perfectly, as you would expect from the surrounding foilage and homes. Not to mention the plane actually looks like its under the trees, as it appears the trees are hanging over one of the wings, and the fuselage. So how does a mistake like this happen because I know there isn't a plane parked behind someones house, unless its John Travolta.LOL..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...us-field-lake-blood-strangest-cloud-ever.html

Other plane images that seem easy to explain;

WeedWhacker

I am sure Mick will explain in better detail, but the Google "Mapping" method is rife with such anomalies.

Last edited by a moderator:

deirdre

its a plane in someones backyard. I googled "plane in backyard" (theres quite a few, sure their wives love that). anyway found the coordinates

plane.JPG

NoParty

Well that's really weird:

I just saw on GeoResonance's site that their declassified Kirlian equipment had
pinpointed MH370 at 25 19 22 8 South, 57 30 54 6 West... (aka "The Bay of Ben's Yard")

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
So how does a mistake like this happen because I know there isn't a plane parked behind someones house,
And how do you know this? There are lots of planes that people have repurposed for housing and decoration.

This particular plane is clearly just there. You can go into Google Earth, and use the time to see the same spot in different satellite images:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Here you go:
http://www.lanacion.com.py/articulo/93757-boeing-707-de-ex-lap-estacionado-en-patio-privado.html

Last edited:

Jason

Thanks guys, I guess I shouldn't have immediately thought it was a mistake with google maps...
This might sound like a stupid question, but how did this guy get the plane in his backyard to begin with. F Do they take it apart peice by peice and reassemble it in his backyard, or what?

Hevach

There's a road right along the yard. It was probably brought in on a large truck with the wings detached and then reassembled. It's a pretty big job, but no different than having a large hot tub or custom aquarium trucked in.

As for the rest of the pictures, in order:
Plane in flight between the imaging plane and the ground
Plane in the overlap between two stitched images, wings are possibly lost in the same way the boat in the Loch Ness picture a couple months were
Plane over water, again made transparent by the image processing (almost exactly like the Nessie picture)

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Plane over water, again made transparent by the image processing (almost exactly like the Nessie picture)
Yes, the key clue here being that it's next to a transition between two areas.

Google Maps images are made from multiple satellite images, and some areas are quite a patchwork. This particular image (on Long Beach, Long Island, New York) is from multiple years, at least five different images are combined in this one particular region.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
This one:

Is not actually an overlay, I think. It's just a plane with dark wings and tail. Here's an MD-90 schematic overlaid.

Looked like it was coming from Phoenix, so I had a poke around the airport. These dark winged planes were there until around 2007. I don't recognize the airline. Terminal 4, B gates.

America West Express Canadair CRJ-900, N942LR

Last edited:

Hevach

Yeah, you're definitely right on the wingless plane, now that I've seen what to look for I can find the wings in the original image as well.

pseacraft

This is why we do not leave imagery analysis to amateurs...it takes time to research and verify the subtle differences in imagery to determine what is and what is not. Its an investment that many fail to make and plus we get some outlandish claims/interpretations.

Jason

Here's a backyard plane in Oregon, similar kind of thing

http://airplanehome.com/

Are all of these backyard plane's decommissioned, and does anyone have an idea of what this would cost in US dollars? I mean it seems like a serious undertaking, especially this last backyard plane. There are no roads leading in or out of this location from the looks of it. Must be nice, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Hevach

If you know the right people, you can get decomissioned aircraft in the condition you see up there in post 7 for basically their scrap value if they're not something collectors are after like military planes. Moving it can potentially cost more than buying it, and then of course the sky's the limit with customizing the interior to what you want.

With no roads, it gets more expensive to move them in, but really, if your landscaping plans involve a large aircraft you've probably got budget to spare. It could have been brought in in smaller parts, or by a more expensive service specializing in moving large things off road (an aircraft museum near me has this problem, and has sometimes used a company that normally moves logs and equipment for the woodcutting industry). That probably trashed their yard, but it looks like they landscaped around it anyway so I assume they planned for that.

Last edited:

pseacraft

They move them about the same way as they move houses and historical buildings. Nothing really special except of interesting hydraulics and planning. Just a normal heavy over-sized haul. Plenty of youtube videos of that. Plus that is how Airbus moves parts to the main assembly plant from the smaller plants. A lot of locals not happy about that.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Are all of these backyard plane's decommissioned, and does anyone have an idea of what this would cost in US dollars? I mean it seems like a serious undertaking, especially this last backyard plane. There are no roads leading in or out of this location from the looks of it. Must be nice, if you're in to that sort of thing.
$220K. According to this FAQ:
http://airplanehome.com/FAQs.html

ottomaddick

We use a lot of open sourced imagery (google and others) in our helicopter simulation visual models. Anywhere from 1/4 inch resolution to >13 meters. With the higher resolution, we see "artifacts" that get caught in the image capture. There is a 767 in a ball field just west of Teterboro. Its black and white paint scheme make it look more like Shamu than the U.S. Airways plane it is. Probably caught flying into Newark.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Explained: Unexplained Green Light During Thunderstorm Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Unexplained Shutdown of Sunspot Observatory by FBI Current Events 20
ColtCabana Unexplained Wheelchair rides? Boston Marathon Bombings 26
Kerensa Sandy Hook: Unexplained gunshots? Sandy Hook 26
BlueCollarCritic Sandy Hook - Just How Many Conincidences & Unexplained Behaivor Are OK? Sandy Hook 6
J Does google earth pro simulate refraction [No] Flat Earth 7
Cassi O Google Maps Measure Distance Using Great Circle Flat Earth 0
Mick West Do Polls and Google Trends show Chemtrail Belief Declining? Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Mick West KML Tool For Visualizing Google Earth Cameras, and More Tools for Investigating and Debunking 5
Mechanik Plane Image on Google Maps in Cambodia - MH370 Speculation Flight MH370 10
Mick West Explained: Floating Triangle UFO in Buenos Aires Google Maps [Bridge] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
ki_cz 13,000 mile white line in Google Earth Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Explained: Why Some Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shooting Google Search Results Predate the Event Conspiracy Theories 1
Mick West Debunked: Corbett Report Targeted by Google/Youtube Conspiracy Theories 37
Mick West Matching GOES-16 or other Geostationary Satellite Views in Google Earth Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
ManFrito Red Dragon, Cassini Picture Being Used As Nibiru Proof Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
HoaxEye 6 Giant Towers discovered on the Moon [Digital Artifacts/Glitches] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 33
Mick West Recreating the missing section of IB6830's ADS-B track Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Converting PlaneFinder.net Tracks to Google Earth KML Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Views of Toronto from Hamilton and Fort Niagara Illustrate Earth's Curvature Flat Earth 44
Critical Thinker Google News Will Start Highlighting Fact Check Stories In Results General Discussion 0
Mick West Two Contrails, One Gap. How side-by-side contrails can differ Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Mick West Debunked: Google shares raw traffic stats with #MPAA about file sharing sites General Discussion 0
Mackdog Google to start debunking General Discussion 21
C Odd Structures in Google Maps in Nevada Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 23
JFDee Debunked: Sea Creature in New Zealand (Boat Trail on Google Maps) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 9
John X Moon anomalies UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 37
Steve Funk Geoengineering illustration [From New Scientist, 2009] Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Chew Google Earth file of weather balloon launch sites Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Redwood Debunked: Google photos show Ottawa Parliament bullet holes are fake Conspiracy Theories 115
Ezswo Debunked: MH17 - 10 Previous Flightpaths Different From 17-7 Flight MH17 27
Mick West New sharing buttons Site Feedback & News 0
PCWilliams Lorem Ipsum: Of Good & Evil, Google & China Conspiracy Theories 8
Trailblazer "Chemtrail plane" on Google Maps (plane + contrail captured by satellite) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Solved: "Alien" with "shadow" on the Moon [Debris in Camera] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 59
Trailspotter Using Google Earth Identify Contrails and other Objects in the Sky Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Hevach Debunked: UFO with alien head sticking out in Google Map [Lensflare & JPEG artifacts] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
derrick06 Another Google Moon Anomaly General Discussion 1
C What is this on Google Moon? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Rroval Man Claims Mars Space Station Discovered On Google Mars (VIDEO, POLL) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
TWCobra Chemtrail search statistics-Google Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Charlie Primero Want a Global Criminal Enterprise? Google Can Help. General Discussion 0
Leifer Too bad...google removes the boolean + command General Discussion 5
Related Articles

Related Articles