"UFO" Sighting over Downtown San Diego Freeway [DARPA Balloon]

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czCfqZrWgio

I first saw the above video (dated Oct 22, 2019) via a low-resolution crop re-post on one of the UFO sites, where it looked even less identifiable.

Metabunk 2019-10-31 13-28-44.jpg
While it was unfortunately filmed in portrait mode, it was still a 4K video, so I downloaded that and zoomed in:

Metabunk 2019-10-31 13-27-17.jpg

Looks like an advertising blimp, but with an odd white panel below it. THe original video said "San Diego", so I did a search for tethered blimps in San Diego:

Metabunk 2019-10-31 13-29-56.jpg

Bingo! There's a tethered blimp over San Diego, with a white panel type thing underneath it. Here's some local news video:
Metabunk 2019-10-31 13-32-23.jpg
https://www.kusi.com/federal-agency-to-conduct-urban-drone-tracking-system-testing-through-friday/

Case closed!

Comments

I saw this one, too. Since it was an interesting shape and in 4k I was excited to stabilize the video in hopes of revealing some details that weren't perceptible in the original.

Kind of disappointing that even at 4k with a 8000 kb/s bit rate, the quality left a lot to be desired:

I guess my main take aways are; people should be focused on driving when driving and we live in a DARPA surveillance state. :)

I kind of liked this case because it reminded me of Project Mogul, a secret balloon-based surveillance project in the 1950s that was also mistaken for alien spaceships - in that case when one crashed at Roswell.

I see UK tabloid The Daily Star reported on it a couple of days ago:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/unknown-space-station-filmed-above-20734601

Brief mention of the DARPA balloon at the end:

I kind of liked this case because it reminded me of Project Mogul...
Not sure if I ever looked at it before, but I headed over to the Wikipedia page to see how the Roswell Crash entry was doing.

I've known about the Project Mogul explanation, but I don't recall ever reading much about the U.S. Navy's Project Skyhook which had it's own infamous "balloon as UFO story": The Mantell incident:

Kind of reminds me of the recent Navy videos where it's been speculated that one branch of the U.S. military might not have known what another was testing.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
RevenTexX 2006 Zdany Mazovia, Poland UFO Sighting. UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 23
Barclay99x UFO sighting 4-18-2015, Virginia Beach Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Veronica! Any resources for debunking a 'cold case' UFO sighting? Practical Debunking 7
Fin Debunked: 2007 Avebury UFO sighting [Military Exercise Flares] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Sagittarius The Ariel School, Zimbabwe UFO sighting - has it ever been debunked? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 27
DOOMguy Possible UFO sighting in Clarion, PA, August 2014 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Simon Gunson MH370 Radar sighting in Straits of Malacca debunked Flight MH370 30
zebra100 Newest Sighting of MH370 in Bengal Bay & Andaman Sea Area Flight MH370 12
Jarmey 657 Strange sighting over Kent 10th Oct 2013 [Long Exposure of Star] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 26
Mick West Curved and Looped Contrails in SoCal [San Diego Delays] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Critical Thinker San Diego Chemtrail group to 'educate' & Protest Scientists/Doctors Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Jacob Aman J. Marvin Herndon's chemtrail letter to San Diego City Council Contrails and Chemtrails 39
Mick West San Diego: Two jets in formation with independent on/off trails [Fuel Dump] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 71
Balance Debunked: MH370 Passenger Philip Wood sends Photo/Text from Diego Garcia [Fake EXIF GPS Data] Flight MH370 142
Mick West Debunked: Photo of James E Holmes at Occupy San Diego Conspiracy Theories 0

Related Articles