UFO over Jackson Hole, WY

Tim Printy

I saw this on-line last night and decided to do some checking. My first thought was it was the ISS but, as best I can tell, it made no passes that night. I then checked Heaven's above for any other bright satellites and found none. Finally, I checked plane finder and there seemed to be no major commercial aircraft in the area.

https://www.theufochronicles.com/2019/08/ufo-caught-on-video-over-jackson-hole.html

The video is at:

Source: https://youtu.be/pIhGEVogkUs

The sky looks correct for the time and date in question. So the clock is not off. To me, this looks like some sort of satellite or airplane. Any thoughts?

A likely candidate:
Metabunk 2019-08-23 16-56-27.jpg

N814SM a helicopter apparently owned by Air Methods, a Medevac company.

At around 2:15 the object appears to flare up. Looks like it could be a helicopter search light that was directed toward the observer for a couple of seconds. Maybe they were looking for a landing site. Also around 2:37 the object greatly increases in brightness but remains bright for a much longer time. I'm not sure how to account for the large angular size and elliptical shape of the object. I would think aircraft navigational lights would appear very small even if the aircraft is quite close.

Doesn't flightradar have an actual track for the helicopter ? Do you know what was it's closest approach to the observer site ?

At around 2:15 the object appears to flare up. Looks like it could be a helicopter search light that was directed toward the observer for a couple of seconds. Maybe they were looking for a landing site. Also around 2:37 the object greatly increases in brightness but remains bright for a much longer time. I'm not sure how to account for the large angular size and elliptical shape of the object. I would think aircraft navigational lights would appear very small even if the aircraft is quite close.

Doesn't flightradar have an actual track for the helicopter ? Do you know what was it's closest approach to the observer site ?
We’d have to know exposure times of the camera. Shape could be from long exposure trail. Explains why it’s longer when it looks closer to camera.

Air ambulances often have multiple bright lights. A small change in the angle can cause any one of them to appear much brighter as the light source is reflected directly from the surface of the reflector to the observer.

Last edited:
Back