Two Short Parallel Trails from one Plane

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

The above image is a recreation of what I say yesterday, as unfortunately the trails had faded before I had a chance to grab my camera. I did not see the plane, but was told it was from a simple plane traveling north. Had I not been told this, I would have assumed that it was from two fighter jets traveling in formation.

The trails were almost directly overhead, maybe 5° off the vertical, and i was in Shingle Springs, California. A quick look at Flightradar24 showed the culprit.

An unusual 747 overflight, nearly directly overhead. SA7965, a cargo flight from Los Angeles to Anchorage, Alaska. The two trails must have been remnants of a hybrid contrail (exhaust contrails entrained and amplified by the wake vortices) that happened to be a bit more persistent because of a more humid patch of air.

I had originally mistaken it for two contrails (from separate planes) as they were so far apart. However the 747 has a very wide wingspan, and when it is directly overhead, then the wake vertices will visually be quite separate.

TEEJ

Senior Member.
Could this have been wingtip/control surface vortices due to the change in course, Mick? Playback shows a change in heading from 334 to 346 degrees.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Could this have been wingtip/control surface vortices due to the change in course, Mick? Playback shows a change in heading from 334 to 346 degrees.
Interesting. A change in course might also involve a slight change in power, and hence might make a bit more contrail.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
I never seen anything like this myself, but I doubt that these are remnant of hybrid contrails. If not for a possible FR24 identification, I'd say that these trails could be left by two fighter jets disconnecting from a tanker after air-to-air refueling.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I asked my eyewitness, and they said it was a plane leaving two distinct short trails. The trails were nor persisting. Suddenly the trails persisted in one spot as the plane flew on. They drew this image of what it looked like:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
And a 747 can have very distinct contrail paris that look like two contrails. Here's and actual 747 contrail overlaid (although scale is uncertain)

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
YOU mistook a 747s contrails for 2 planes? How much did you have to drink this weekend? :p
Quite a bit :) However I didn't see the trails until they were just two very distinct parallel segments, as in the OP. I've never seen anything like that left from a single plane.

Bill McDonald

I've seen tons of things like this in my aviation career. When an airplane flies through a small region of air where the pressure/humidity is different than the surrounding air, then trails can appear and then disappear. Completely looks like you are turning them on and then off. I've often witnessed this up close while flying in formation with multiple aircraft. You can see contrails spontaniously generating off props and wingtips.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Pete Tar 3 short parallel contrails Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 37
Mick West Flat Earth Theory Debunked by Short Flights (QF27 & QF28) From Australia to South America Flat Earth 276
Mick West Explained: "Floating Ball of Fire Over Argentina" [Short Sunlit Contrail] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
David West "Occam's Razor" - A Dark Comedy Short Film General Discussion 32
Mick West Airborne Fine Particulate Matter and Short-Term Mortality Health and Quackery 6
Jarmey 657 More Strange lights in the Sky! [Short Sunlit Contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 58
Mick West Debunked: The "short-lived" fires of WTC 1 & 2 9/11 13
Spongebob SWIR - Short Wave Infrared Camera System Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Mick West Two Large Planes Flying Parallel, Chiloquin, OR. Is it Legal? Yes. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
skephu Parallel lines of clouds (Virginia Beach) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Multiple Parallel Trails over Reno, Nevada [KC-10 and F-16s] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Trailspotter Multiple parallel contrails near Canberra Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
U Debunked: Moon Landing and NASA Photo - non parallel shadows Conspiracy Theories 13
Mick West A streak of light in a star trails image Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Explained: Mysterious lights over Milwaukee [Seagulls, Night Exposure Trails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 27
Mick West Explained: "Smoke Trails" On 9/11 World Trade Center Falling Debris [Dust/Powder] 9/11 10
R Trails from the back of Fighter Jets Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
P Can someone please explain these trails at sunset [Contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
Ric Werme Curious effect over commercial airplane wing. I suspect reflections from ice Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 58
steve holmes Sacramento sky trails morning Oct 7th [Normal Air Traffic] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 31
MikeC New Zealand CAA puts up "Aircraft Trails" page Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Mick West Persistent Trails Survey Shows Chemtrail Believers Only Recently Noticed Persistent Trails Contrails and Chemtrails 32
Balance Trails of a different kind Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Mick West 1952 - Condensation Trails From Aircraft - With a 1937 Persistent Contrail Photo - Oldest Ever? Contrails and Chemtrails 3
CeruleanBlu CBS San Fransico local news story about Marine Cloud Brightening Project. Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Trailspotter Strange cloud formation in South Indian Ocean Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
Marine0811 Plane trail at wings, none at engines? [Aerodynamic contrails, no flaps] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
L Photos of trails over Switzerland [back to the 1970s] and Chemical Analysis of Jacuzzi Cover Water Contrails and Chemtrails 18
MyMatesBrainwashed BBC - Longer flights to curb vapour trails Contrails and Chemtrails 144
Mick West A Systematic Attempt to Measure Air Traffic Levels and Trails Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mick West San Diego: Two jets in formation with independent on/off trails [Fuel Dump] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 71
Dylmar Low flying plane leaving trails that don't come from the engines [Fuel dump, Continental flight 009] Contrails and Chemtrails 11
P Sputtering, farting trails Contrails and Chemtrails 4
D Can someone please explain this video of multiple trails? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 28
FuzzyUK Debunked: Plane leaving trails from under wing [E-6 TACAMO Fuel Dump] Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Chris Bowen Photo of waves and trails Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 21
Gary Cook Switching on and off of trails? Contrails and Chemtrails 101
mrfintoil Discussion: False memories and "No persistent trails in the past" Contrails and Chemtrails 46
C Debunked: Contrail Anomalies. [Engine Gaps and Galley Drain Trails] Contrails and Chemtrails 14
D Transparent Gaps and Fifth Trails Contrails and Chemtrails 5
U Unusual trails and clouds in Australia Contrails and Chemtrails 47
GregMc Debunked: "trails only appear over Nato countries" Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Jay Reynolds Debunked: Ship Trails Over the Pacific are Geoengineering "Chemtrails" Contrails and Chemtrails 37
Mick West Debunked: Geoengineeringwatch.org "Trails coming from Nozzles" [C-5 with normal exhaust contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Related Articles

Related Articles