Triangle in Mars Curiosity Image [Panorama Stitching Artifact]

Hannover

I saw in a youtube vid some claims about this image (UFO of course).
At first I thought the triangular "UFO" was due to image manipulations. Most people don't seem to realize that playing wildly with contrast and other image adjustments can create all kinds of artifacts that are not actually in the original image.

In this case it's a little different, tho.
You can actually see the triangular shape without applying any manipulation of the original image whatsoever. It's too big to a be a compression artifact. You can download the slightly compressed original NASA TIF here: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA20602.

The object is visible in both the JPG and the TIF version. I suggest to download the TIF version as it is only slightly compressed.

I am curious what you guys make of it.
ETA:
Just to be clear: I am not making any UFO claims. I am simply curious if somebody with more image processing experience than me has an explanation for this artifact.

It's a big image (5000x6710 pixels) and it takes a while to spot the triangle.
To make it easier for you I created a low res version and encircled the object on the right side not far above the horizon. You can't really see it in my low res version but it is clearly visible in the high-res TIF image:

20160808-214115-p4n9b.jpg

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
That s not an original image, it's a stitched panorama of MAHLI images from Sol 1338
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=1338&camera=MAHLI

The image from 20:56:47 seems to be the closest
https://www.metabunk.org/data/MetaMirrorCache/e8290edaed0ff6433eedcaf562667047.jpg

Overlaid:

20160808-214937-k96as.jpg

20160808-215039-ogy1a.jpg

The triangle appears to match the corner, slightly rotated. So it appears to be a stitching artifact for merging multiple images into one image.

It's also quite possible that it's a manual editing error from cleaning up the sky. Notice there's more sky in the composite image than in the individual raw image. Also the raw images have black specks from dirt on the sensor, so the sky was probably cleaned up manually.

Note it's not intended to be passed off as a raw image, it's a composite. Only artifacts in the individual frames that make it up would have any significance.

Last edited:

Hofnarr

Oh swell, I guess "ufo sightings daily" will be all over this..
At first I didn't see what you meant, but with "enhancement" its visible.
As Mick said, most probably a stitching error. And it looks like its been corrected manually but this little speck was left out, I think about manually because of the hard edge at the bottom of the triangle otherwise it would fade out from top to bottom.
- Thanks Mick you were quick.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Here I've blended three images using the program "Calico" on the Mac. Note how it has to curve the images to make them fit, which would be why the corner does not line up perfect.
20160808-220930-92g95.jpg

Notice the uneven lighting in the sky. You don't see it so much in the ground, but in the sky it's more noticeable, and of course there's a lot of the sky missing, so it was probably manually smoothed out, with this minor editing error

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Saturn + Spica + Mars = Triangle UFO? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 6
Mick West Explained: Floating Triangle UFO in Buenos Aires Google Maps [Bridge] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Christophe Isbert The Mississippi Triangle Mystery (status: solved or probably solved) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Trailblazer Contrail triangle, Versailles, Dec 28 2015 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
James Adams Rectangular building type objects on the surface of the moon [Like the Triangle] General Discussion 3
Mick West Debunked: Alien Base on the Moon, Triangle of Dots [photo artifact] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 56
Mick West Debunked: Fake photo of triangle UFO and contrail Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Mick West Mars Black Speck UFO Sol 688 - Glitch? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
Leifer "Mars will be as big as the Moon" no, it won't. Science and Pseudoscience 11
Mick West Explained: "Lizard Found on Mars Rover" [Dust Removal Tool] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 8
J So I know this isn't actually Nibiru, but what actually is it? [Probably Mars] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
Mark Barrington Claim: Rock with "appendages" on Mars is an alien or fossil UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 24
Mick West Debunked: Pyramid on Mars [Small Rock] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 16
N Debunked: Nuclear cloud on Indian Mars Orbiter image Conspiracy Theories 29
Hevach Debunked: Curiosity repair man [Rover arm in retracted position] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 15
Graham2001 'NASA worker' claims to have seen humans walking on Mars in 1979 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 7
JesseCuster Debunked: Humanoid skull found on Mars. [Rock] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 25
Sagittarius Debunked: Mars "Levitating" Rock [optical illusion, two rocks] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 10
Joe Debunked: Blurred NASA image on Mars [Stitched in part of the Rover] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 13
Mick West Debunked: Celtic Cross on Mars [Impression from Screw Head on X-Ray Spectrometer] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 31
sgirl New NASA pic of what looks like old ruins on Mars UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 22
Balance NASA photo captures strange bright light seemingly coming out of Mars General Discussion 39
Mick West Debunked: Giant Bird In Flight On Mars Caught In NASA Billion Pixel View UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 31
Mark Barrington Jelly Doughnut Rock on Mars UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 79
Rroval Man Claims Mars Space Station Discovered On Google Mars (VIDEO, POLL) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
Oxymoron Lol... Chemtrailing Mars? (And other random theories) Conspiracy Theories 21
Mick West Debunked: Alien Base on Mars: "Bio-Station Alpha" UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
Related Articles

Related Articles