The Shape and Size of Glare Around Bright Lights

Ravi

20mm, 2mm thick, for 20 bucks. Not bad! Be careful with them, is my advice. If you drop em, they crack.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
20mm, 2mm thick, for 20 bucks. Not bad! Be careful with them, is my advice. If you drop em, they crack.
It's unpolished. But I've got a polisher, and it will be interesting to see how well it works without polishing. I was quite surprised what a good image you get reflected from a matt metal surface, so maybe a window might work somewhat with not polishing.

Here's a metal surface reflecting my hand in thermal IR.
Metabunk 2020-09-12 12-53-57.jpg

But, it's matt, with near-zero specular reflectivity.
Metabunk 2020-09-12 12-56-33.jpg

Attachments

• Metabunk 2020-09-12 12-56-09.jpg
    Metabunk 2020-09-12 12-56-09.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 17

Ravi

Nice example!

It's of course all due to the use of long wavelengths. You need half-lambda surface quality to make a "mirror", for IR of say 10 um, this comes down to 5um, which is what likely is the surface roughness of the metal part shown.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Rory Explained: How Mount Rainier helps demonstrate the shape of the globe Flat Earth 38
Whitebeard Quick and easy demonstration of the shape of the Earth Flat Earth 7
Davd V shape UFO on thermal camera [Probably Birds] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 84
Z.W. Wolf All The Ships At Sea: A Pragmatic Test Of Earth's Shape Flat Earth 10
Rory Using Mountain Ranges to Predict the Shape of the Earth Flat Earth 11
Henk001 The Southern Cross, Celestial Poles, and The Shape of The Earth Flat Earth 54
Mattnik "Unknown force changing cloud's shape" - form the front page of Reddit Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Jay Reynolds Moon shape is changing due to Japanese mining? Conspiracy Theories 19
Mick West Judging Size and Distance of Unidentified Objects UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 72
Scaramanga The Easy And Logical Debunking Of UFO 'Size' UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
DannyBoy2k Size of "the Pile" 9/11 1
ConfusedHominid Need Debunking (Claim): Metabunk Curve Calculator Does Not Calculate for Angular Size Flat Earth 13
Harish Explanation needed for the decrease in size of USA in NASA's picture from space taken in 2012-13 Conspiracy Theories 2
Mick West An Easy Experiment to Debunk the Flat Earth by Observing the Size of the Sun Flat Earth 55
derwoodii Debunked: Claim MH 17 wreckage engine fan is wrong size Flight MH17 2
Mick West Reduction in sig size Site Feedback & News 0
Mick West Avionics System Technician Discusses FLIR Targeting Pod's Tracking and Glare UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 4
Mick West Bright Lights Behind Trees, With Roiling Glare. Panama City, Florida. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 32

Related Articles