The power of selective quotes

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
So I was reading Edward Bernays papers at the Library of Congress, and I came across this statement that he made in some notes for his memoirs.

And I made the above image, as an experiment to see if it would spread.

Bernays is a popular figure in advanced conspiracy culture, as he's know as a very successful PR person, and an advocate for using "propaganda" for the good. Conspiracists point to this as evidence of how the elite is manipulating everyone via the media.

The above quote though, sounds good out of context. He goes on to equivocate, and says how hard it is to tell what's good and what is not. But the quote alone sounds like he's very anti-conspiracy, and pro-debunking, which is quite ironic.

Anyway, maybe slip in the image at some Facebook groups, see if it spreads.

Last edited:

Lee Wilson

To be honest the overwhelming majority of conspiracy theorists tend never to check sources (if the quote is what they want to hear) you may as well attribute anything you want to anyone whatsoever.

11m5njl.jpg

Lee Wilson

Just to be clear though, the first Bernays quote IS genuine.

Understood. :)

"But the quote alone sounds like he's very anti-conspiracy, and pro-debunking, which is quite ironic.".

It doesn't sound particularly anti-conspiracy to me, it sounds like a wish or a call to action, I imagine most conspiracy theorists will read it as proof that we have to be on guard for these endless plots.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Texas Winter Storm and Power Outages Current Events 3
Mick West Mysterious Helicopter at Skinwalker Ranch (Power Line Survey) UFOs and Aliens 11
Mick West Atlanta Airport Power Outage Current Events 0
Mick West Explained: Mexico City Earthquake Lights [Power Line Arcing and Transformer Explosions] Science and Pseudoscience 33
MikeC Claim: FAA conspiring with Police to limit news access to Black Rock General Discussion 3
Mick West Debunked: 1 Hour on this Bike Can Power Your Home For 24 hours [More like 5 minutes] Science and Pseudoscience 18
Mick West The Linode/Metabunk Power Outage Site Feedback & News 5
derrick06 "Pyramid Power Plant" Debunked Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 14
B Woodrow Wilson "They know that there is a power somewhere ..." Quotes Debunked 45
AlexV The power of vibrations!! Science and Pseudoscience 12
Sausalito Northeastern US "Power Grid Blackout" Scheduled for 11/13? General Discussion 39
J Solar Power for the home General Discussion 14
U Are contrails affecting solar power generation in Australia? Contrails and Chemtrails 12
ThorGoLucky Power Balance admits false claims Health and Quackery 2
J Debunked: Anti evolution quotes Quotes Debunked 10
Willie Did Gandhi say this? General Discussion 2
TemplarJLS Some depopulation quotes to debunk? Quotes Debunked 16
Mick West Attached images should now appear in quotes. Site Feedback & News 4
Steviev55 Context: George Bush's New World Order quotes. Quotes Debunked 33
HappyMonday Attribution of Schopenhauer's Three Stages of Truth Quotes Debunked 8
Farganne Anyone care to debunk these two Rockefeller quotes? Conspiracy Theories 132
Mick West Conspiracy Quotes Quotes Debunked 25
Mick West How to Debunk Quotes Quotes Debunked 0
Mick West How to use the "Quotes Debunked" Forum Quotes Debunked 11

Related Articles