The meaning of "Woke", and it's origination.

Leifer

Senior Member.
Let's start recently,,,, FOX news now likes to refer to to the term, "Woke" as how Liberals feel when trying to alter history or simply feel/exhibit feelings toward rewriting a new history and changing minds.......and they feel confident about their beliefs.
"Woke" seems to be a term that primarily FOX NEWS now uses..... as a detrimental "influencing term" meaning something like an extreme Liberal new set of accepted standards, and a new view of "invented" Liberal history. But I can tell you that the term "Woke" (awakened) was first used way back around 2010 to describe newly awakened conspiracy theorists on fringe forums to the ideas that aliens are living among us, and to describe many ideas espoused by conspiratorial idea maker, David Icke. https://www.amazon.com/man-who-woke-Meditations-ideas/dp/1304010163' At least that was the first time I was first exposed to the word "woke".

Last edited:

Mendel

Senior Member.
See https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/cu...wokeness-history-origin-evolution-controversy . I recommend reading the whole article, but here are my highlights:

Before 2014, the call to “stay woke” was, for many people, unheard of. The idea behind it was common within Black communities at that point — the notion that staying “woke” and alert to the deceptions of other people was a basic survival tactic. But in 2014, following the police killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, “stay woke” suddenly became the cautionary watchword of Black Lives Matter activists on the streets, used in a chilling and specific context: keeping watch for police brutality and unjust police tactics.

In the six years since Brown’s death, “woke” has evolved into a single-word summation of leftist political ideology, centered on social justice politics and critical race theory. This framing of “woke” is bipartisan: It’s used as a shorthand for political progressiveness by the left, and as a denigration of leftist culture by the right.
Content from External Source

A few years later, the phrase “stay woke” turned up as part of a spoken afterword in the 1938 song “Scottsboro Boys,” a protest song by Blues musician Huddie Ledbetter, a.k.a. Lead Belly. The song describes the 1931 saga of a group of nine Black teenagers in Scottsboro, Arkansas, who were accused of raping two white women.

Lead Belly says at the end of an archival recording of the song that he’d met with the Scottsboro defendants’ lawyer, who introduced him to the men themselves. “I made this little song about down there,” Lead Belly says. “So I advise everybody, be a little careful when they go along through there — best stay woke, keep their eyes open.”
Although “woke” as a watchword was the term’s earliest known usage, it took on three primary contexts within Black communities during the 20th century: 1) slang for being literally awake; 2) slang for being suspicious of a cheating romantic partner; and 3) the original, politically charged usage of always being on the lookout for systemic injustice.
Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=adPXDTvADD0

obiwanbenobi

the meaning has always been derogatory to me so when i hear someone use it i tune them out or walk away or skip their writings. people who approach every conversation as a political event are a huge red flag for me.

it is similar to any conversation which starts with some person asking me about religious faith and if "I'm Saved!" ?

sorry i don't consider it a polite conversation including good will to assume i'm politically broken or theologically damned.

to me it's manipulative BS and it always makes me wonder who they're really talking to (clearly not me).

Last edited:

Rory

Senior Member.
"Woke" seems to be a term that primarily FOX NEWS now uses

I've been living in a bit of a bubble the last 2 or 3 (or 5 or 10 years) so I seem to have missed most of the new fads around SJWs and snowflakes and being woke. But I do know there's plenty of discussion about it in the UK, on the BBC, etc. So I wouldn't say it was "primarily" on FOX News.

I'd assumed it was an update on the conspiracy theory thing of "being awake" and wanting to "wake people (sheeple) up" - which, in turn, I saw as a reimagining of the metaphysical notion of a "spiritual awakening" given the many parallels being CTism and spirituality. This perhaps has its roots with the Buddha ("Buddha" meaning "enlightened one" or "awakened one") but probably the term pre-dates him.

Here's the source text of a well-known Buddhist story the usually culminates in the phrase "I am awake":

On one occasion the Blessed One was traveling along the road between Ukkattha and Setabya, and Dona the brahman was also traveling along the road between Ukkattha and Setabya. [...] On seeing [the Buddha], [Dona] went to him and said, "Master, are you a deva?"

"No, brahman, I am not a deva."

"Are you a gandhabba?"

"No..."

"... a yakkha?"

"No..."

"... a human being?"

"No, brahman, I am not a human being."

"When asked, 'Are you a deva?' you answer, 'No, brahman, I am not a deva.' When asked, 'Are you a gandhabba?' you answer, 'No, brahman, I am not a gandhabba.' When asked, 'Are you a yakkha?' you answer, 'No, brahman, I am not a yakkha.' When asked, 'Are you a human being?' you answer, 'No, brahman, I am not a human being.' Then what sort of being are you?"

"Brahman, the fermentations by which — if they were not abandoned — I would be a deva: Those are abandoned by me, their root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising. The fermentations by which — if they were not abandoned — I would be a gandhabba... a yakkha... a human being: Those are abandoned by me, their root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising.

"Just like a red, blue, or white lotus — born in the water, grown in the water, rising up above the water — stands unsmeared by the water, in the same way I — born in the world, grown in the world, having overcome the world — live unsmeared by the world. Remember me, brahman, as 'awakened.'

"The fermentations by which I would go to a deva-state, or become a gandhabba in the sky, or go to a yakkha-state & human-state: Those have been destroyed by me, ruined, their stems removed. Like a blue lotus, rising up, unsmeared by water, unsmeared am I by the world, and so, brahman, I'm awake."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.036.than.html

Though from what Deirdre's saying "woke" isn't the same as the spiritual ("hippy") and later conspiracy theorist "awakened".

I guess those of us who don't know what it means/where it comes from could always just read the wikipedia article on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
But I do know there's plenty of discussion about it in the UK, on the BBC, etc. So I wouldn't say it was "primarily" on FOX News.
i think he meant "a term that FOX NEWS [pundit shows] now primarily use as a detrimental "influencing term".

obviously most middle or right leaning outlets (youtube channels, twitter people, me) use it as a [detrimental influencing term]...assuming i am guessing what he means by 'detrimental influencing term' correctly.

the word in question is "now"... did Fox personalities use it differently before? i don't recall that.

Last edited:

Mendel

Senior Member.
the problem is that propaganda is able to turn previously neutral words into slurs, subverting their meaning, kinda like Orwell's NewSpeak.

right-wing commentators in the US have done this with the word "liberal", which is still neutral in the rest of the world

and the word "queer" has been re-subverted from its acquired slur status by the LGBTQ community

but the right-wing use of woke is not its original meaning (see my post above), it's a propagandist reaction to a positive left-wing self-description, and using the word with this negative meaning is divisive

deirdre

Senior Member.
but the right-wing use of woke is not its original meaning
the left wing use of woke is not the original meaning. "safe spaces" are "woke". pregnant man emojis are "woke". giving oscars only to movies that feature transgender people or crew is "woke".

i don't personally recall right wing mocking over BLM woke usage (maybe a bit ...as their stats and facts are wrong), i recall it really getting mocked full out over the college safe spaces they made because students would be traumatized if someone with a different opinion was allowed to speak at colleges.

edit add: yea, now "woke" is used to mean all sorts of things.
Article:
(CNN)As Democrats begin the uphill climb to hold their majorities in the House and Senate next November, politicians and party strategists are admitting that their biggest challenge comes from within: "Woke" liberals demanding adherence to policies on crime, the environment and government spending that are simply not shared by a majority of the country.

Rory

Senior Member.
i think he meant "a term that FOX NEWS [pundit shows] now primarily use as a detrimental "influencing term".

Ah yes, I did wonder that - but figured I'd take a chance and respond as written.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Mendel

Senior Member.
the left wing use of woke is not the original meaning. "safe spaces" are "woke". pregnant man emojis are "woke". giving oscars only to movies that feature transgender people or crew is "woke".

i don't personally recall right wing mocking over BLM woke usage (maybe a bit ...as their stats and facts are wrong), i recall it really getting mocked full out over the college safe spaces they made because students would be traumatized if someone with a different opinion was allowed to speak at colleges.
tried to find a bona fide leftist calling safe spaces woke, couldn't.
I don't believe you.

and cnn putting the word in quotation marks is an ironic use

Leifer

Senior Member.
The history and usage of the word "woke" does seem to have several originations .
But the usage of the word that comes from a verb, to a noun.......should come with a little explanation -- other than it is a new word entered into the slang lexicon.... possibly from the hip-hop world.

Leifer

Senior Member.
Other verbs that have newly become nouns....
"burnt" (or burnt-out)
"chill "(she is so chill)
...many more

Leifer

Senior Member.
I remember posts from the D. Icke Forum, where to be awakened (and angry) from the lies of the gov't, , was to be "woke".
Maybe there are several uses of the term.... and sometimes confusing.
Proponents from that Icke forum would insist that I, "get woke".
.....in other words, 'get with the programme here, and believe what we believe" ....... that there are lies by the govt' and that they need to be criticized, categorized, and commented upon..

Last edited:

Mendel

Senior Member.
FNvD4E9XsAEWTEg.png
Front-copy-800x1225.jpg
Article:
Counter Wokecraft: A Field Manual for Combatting the Woke in the University and Beyond

[Reviewer Karl:] Charles Pincourt, with the help of James Lindsay, offers this very concise field manual to combat what they choose to term Critical Social Justice (CSJ), or sometimes just wokeness or wokeism in the university.

There's a war going on! or an insurgency!