Striped linear cloud over Norfolk, England (Kelvin-Helmgoltz cloud)

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
I've spotted this unusual cloud this morning (August 29, 2015) from the car on the trip to the Norfolk Broads and observed it for about twenty minutes from 11:15 to 11:35 BST (10:15 - 10:35 UTC) until it was obscured by lower clouds. The cloud comprised regularly spaced transverse stripes:
K-H_cloud_1.jpg
K-H_cloud_3.jpg
K-H_cloud_6.jpg

The cloud was oriented along the wind direction (SW), coinciding with a general direction of our road (A11) and was moving northeast a bit faster than the car.

Interestingly, the cloud appears on the Terra satellite image taken at about 10:38 UTC, just a few minutes after my last photo:
85ff3b0aeec45ac24f9a37a4def72ad4._.jpg
From this image, the cloud's length was about 20 miles. Also, by the time, its distal end was already over the North Sea, some 35 miles away from our location at the time of the last photo. Using Google Earth, I've estimated the cloud's altitude being about 30,000 ft (9 km).

The cloud's wavy appearance suggests it may have resulted from the Kelvin-Helmholtz instability.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Here is another flickr photo taken closer to the coast, in which the cloud looks like a typical Kelvin-Helmholtz cloud:

Last edited:

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Aren't K-H clouds usually caused by vertical wind shear? I can't recall ever seeing one horizontally oriented before.
I think that this K-H cloud also was cased by vertical wind shear. It just was observed at an unusual angle. My and Norwich photos were more from the end, whereas the last one, from the Hickling Broad, was photographed more from a side, making cloud billows in the thicker end more apparent:
Norfolk K-H cloud.jpg

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.
I think that this K-H cloud also was cased by vertical wind shear. It just was observed at an unusual angle. My and Norwich photos were more from the end, whereas the last one, from the Hickling Broad, was photographed more from a side, making cloud billows in the thicker end more apparent:
View attachment 14758

I'm having a hard time with the perspective. It does appear that your second photo shows the same K-H cresting, but a bit disguised by (lower?) small clouds.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
I'm having a hard time with the perspective. It does appear that your second photo shows the same K-H cresting, but a bit disguised by (lower?) small clouds.
I took a few zoomed photos through the side window with my iPhone that show the K-H cresting more clearly. Unfortunately, they all were spoiled by reflection, as I did not pull the glass down :oops:
K-H_cloud_2.jpg

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
JesseCuster Stripey clouds and the Brunt-Vaisala frequency Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Mick West Convert Graph Image from Log Scale to Linear Scale Tools for Investigating and Debunking 0
FlightMuj Explained: NASA documents stating a flat Earth??? Linear Aircraft Models Flat Earth 7
Trailblazer Identified: linear clouds seen from Virgin Australia flight ['morning glory'] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Trailspotter Helicopter aerodynamic dashed linear contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 4
Mick West Linear Clouds in Old Painting Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 20
M Claim: Hints of life on Venus: Scientists detect phosphine molecules in high cloud decks UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 20
Jesse3959 The Cloud Edge Effect Science and Pseudoscience 14
Marin B Smoke cloud with pointy wave formations Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Leifer the Cloud Appreciation Society Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 9
Mick West Explained: Cloud Seeding Weather Modification in Texas before Hurricane Harvey Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Mick West A Slightly Square Cloud South of Australia Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Teertskcab Why Don't Cloud Formations Change Much in DSCOVR animations? Flat Earth 4
Mick West Eyes in a Cloud [Lens Flare + Panorama Stitching] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
JFDee New 2017 Cloud Atlas of the WMO Online Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Trailblazer Explained: "Human-shaped cloud above Zambian shopping centre" [Photoshop, kite] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 5
JCL Odd Cloud Over Oroville Dam (Spray Cloud) Oroville Dam 14
SkepticOzzy The Sun Under The Horizon? [not horizon just a cloud layer] Flat Earth 5
jim oberg Strange cloud UFO over Russia November 2011 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
dahi Crimean Lenticular cloud Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 11
JFDee Aerodynamic cloud created by mountain Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 3
Marin B What is this shower curtain-shaped cloud called? [Cirrus Fibratus] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Darren Strange pattern in cloud ... Surrey UK Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
Tapir-mâché Curious-- how low can persistent contrails form? Contrails and Chemtrails 25
C Interesting observation of moon light phenomena i can't find the answer to ???? General Discussion 4
Balance Taurus Molecular Cloud Generator - actually an oil field firefighter Contrails and Chemtrails 6
JFDee Polar Stratospheric (Nacreous) Cloud Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Trailspotter Soyuz rocket intermittent contrail Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Mick West Fallstreak Canal Clouds Crossing in Trussville, Alabama Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West Explained: Large Cigar Shaped Object Caught Shooting Into Storm Cloud In Spain [Reflection] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 12
CeruleanBlu CBS San Fransico local news story about Marine Cloud Brightening Project. Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Trailblazer Cloud Forms, 1949, British Air Ministry Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailspotter Tropical Clouds on Parade Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
keefe ARM Climate Research Facility Contrails and Chemtrails 17
D [MoreInfoNeeded]Germany NewsTV: Explanation for radar cloud Contrails and Chemtrails 14
I Dark arc associated with cirrus ice cloud Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Trailspotter Strange cloud formation in South Indian Ocean Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
N Debunked: Nuclear cloud on Indian Mars Orbiter image Conspiracy Theories 29
J Travel Firm's Cloud Seeding Stunt Attracts Chemtrailers Contrails and Chemtrails 35
Mick West "Awareness Ribbon" in Shawnee, OK area Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Trailspotter Roman numeral contrails near the Georgia Coast Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West How effective is Cloud Seeding? Contrails and Chemtrails 17
Mick West Spiraling Fallstreak Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Stephanie Cloud Shadow? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
skephu Intersecting cloud ripples Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 30
occams rusty scissor Fallstreak Cloud with Circumhorizon Arc in Australia Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
skephu Cloaking by artificial cloud wall? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
MikeC Awesome cloud timelapse Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Balance Stunning views of both sides of a cloud layer General Discussion 31
Mick West Cloud Seeding (Weather Modification) on the Dick Van Dyke Show, 1965 Contrails and Chemtrails 47
Related Articles

Related Articles