SSDI says Adam Lanza died a day before Sandy Hook massacre

jvnk08

Senior Member.
Hello all. I posted this on reddit's /r/skeptic but it didn't get much in the way of a debunking. Maybe some folks here have some ideas?

Link:
http://www.reddit.com/r/skeptic/comments/16yq0p/ssdi_says_adam_lanza_died_a_day_before_sandy_hook/

This appears to have just surfaced:
http://fellowshipofminds.wordpress....-lanza-died-a-day-before-sandy-hook-massacre/

Aside from the fallacious logic that the government is completely unaware of the "truthers" analyzing every little thing and would let something like this slip... I want to say it's a data-entry error. I'm not sure if there are any more plausible explanations than that - I don't think it's a generated date field using the <date> element, for example, like some of the other date discrepancies likely were.

Supposedly Adam and his mother:
http://www.genealogybank.com/gbnk/ssdi/doc/ssdi/v1:143EB37C71A1FA78
http://www.genealogybank.com/gbnk/ssdi/doc/ssdi/v1:143A177167B62EF8

I found this in the comments, giving some pretty plausible footing to the data entry error theory:

Once you buy at NTIS.gov a subscription to access SSA’s Official DMF, the site you would use to log in is here: ssdmf.com. In their left menu is a section called “Mandatory Requirements” that says anybody that buys, uses, &/or resells the DMF MUST let people know that SSA is constantly making corrections/amendments to their DMF so the “resold” info may not always be correct. It also says subscribers should always get the frequent updates from SSA.

Yeah, just a data entry error.

Like they say on Reddit, quite amazing how these stunningly amazingly skilled disaster hoaxers mess up so much.

Just thought I'd include this:

https://www.ssdmf.com/FolderID/105/...2C1857}/PageVars/Library/InfoManage/Guide.htm

[h=3]Mandatory Requirements[/h]It is mandatory that all subscribers of the DMF intending to use its data on a continuing basis must, after receiving an updated complete SSA DMF Full File, keep that file updated by purchasing a subscription to the SSA DMF Monthly or Weekly Updates (New Deaths, Changes, Deletes), immediately beginning with the same month as the full file. If you are not meeting SSA's requirements because you are not receiving the monthly or weekly subscription immediately after receiving the Full File, then you are not keeping your DMF up-to-date with SSA's records. Thus, you are working with a DMF with an increased number of unnecessary inaccuracies and possibly adversely affecting an increased number of individuals. No one is to sell the DMF without requiring continuous subscribers to adhere to this mandatory requirement for keeping their DMF up-to-date.Note: you, as a DMF Subscriber, are reminded that you should not take any adverse action against any individual without further investigation to verify the death listed.
If you, as a subscriber to SSA's DMF, are making available/selling SSA's DMF information to others, you must also provide them with a copy of this and the Important Information notices.
Note: Do not tell anyone to contact NTIS or SSA Headquarters for corrections! Corrections must be made at the local Social Security office serving the individual.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION
To all subscribers purchasing the Social Security Administration's (SSA's) Death Master File (DMF):
As a result of a court case under the Freedom of Information Act, SSA is required to release its death information to the public. You, as a subscriber/purchaser of SSA's Death Master File (DMF) are advised at the time of initial purchase that the DMF does have inaccuracies and SSA does not guarantee the accuracy of the DMF. SSA does not have a death record for all deceased persons. Therefore, the absence of a particular person on this file is not proof that the individual is alive. In addition, there is the possibility that incorrect records of death may have been entered on the DMF. If an individual seeing your copy of the DMF has a complaint that they find erroneous data/death information on that DMF, you should advise them to follow the procedures listed below. In fact, you should be providing the information below in your publication, if any, of the DMF:
Errors: If an individual claims that SSA has incorrectly listed someone as deceased (or has incorrect dates/data) on the Death Master File (DMF), the individual should contact his/her local social security office (with proof) to have the error corrected. That local social security office will:
(1) make the correction to the main NUMIDENT file at SSA and give the individual a verification document of SSA's current records to use to show to any company recipient/purchaser of the DMF that had the error,

or(2) find that SSA already has the correct information on the main NUMIDENT file and DMF (probably corrected sometime prior) and give the individual a verification document of SSA's records to use to show to any company subscriber/purchaser of the DMF that had the error.
The social security office is correct at this time in saying that the problem now lies with you (the subscriber of the DMF). In the latter case (2 above), the DMF subscriber (you) probably received the incorrect death data sometime prior to the correction on SSA's main records. (The only way you can now get an updated DMF with the correction would be to again purchase the entire DMF file and keep it current with all of the Monthly or Weekly Updates--See Mandatory Requirement) You should accept proof from the individual (their own records or the verification they received from the local social security office) and correct your copy of the DMF. You should also notify any organizations to which you sold the DMF that this correction needs to be made.
Content from External Source

Here are some examples illustrating how often the SSA is wrong:

More than a million dead people are still listed as being alive on Social Security’s master list, according to an inspector general’s audit released this week that found the agency still recorded hundreds of people as having earned wages — even after they’d been dead for more than a year.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/10/social-security-payouts-going-to-deceased/

In a recent investigation, the Social Security Office of the Inspector General, which oversees the Social Security Administration, discovered that the Death Master File contained 36,657 death entries between May 2007 and April 2010 for people who were very much alive.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/17/pf/social_security_deaths_mistakes/index.htm

You're pretty quick to dismiss this....but the gov't knows people are spreading paranoia re: this case and maybe it is in their interest to allow that to happen. Maybe they planted that wrong date. If the gov't wanted as few conspiracy theories as possible, would they let this wrong date sit there for weeks?

It's also possible it's simply not on their radar and it was a clerical error. I can think of a few other possibilities as well. I wouldn't close my eyes to a mistake like that.

Yeah, just a data entry error.

Like they say on Reddit, quite amazing how these stunningly amazingly skilled disaster hoaxers mess up so much.

Well firstly we still don't know for sure if this is the Adam Lanza we think it is for sure. But supposing it is....

John Dillinger said:
maybe it is in their interest to allow that to happen. Maybe they planted that wrong date. If the gov't wanted as few conspiracy theories as possible, would they let this wrong date sit there for weeks?

That seems like two divergent possibilities to me....in one case we have purposeful planting of the date in order to stimulate controversy, and in the other the lack of correction of the data implies the government hasn't noticed but are making a conscious effort to shut down conspiracies....?

Personally I think it was much more likely this was simply a clerical error, considering the volume of manual data entry the SSA does on a regular basis(i.e. people sitting at computers typing things in as fast as they can).

Well firstly we still don't know for sure if this is the Adam Lanza we think it is for sure. But supposing it is....

That seems like two divergent possibilities to me....in one case we have purposeful planting of the date in order to stimulate controversy, and in the other the lack of correction of the data implies the government hasn't noticed but are making a conscious effort to shut down conspiracies....?

Personally I think it was much more likely this was simply a clerical error, considering the volume of manual data entry the SSA does on a regular basis(i.e. people sitting at computers typing things in as fast as they can).

Frankly I'm surprised anyone would make a stupid mistake like this, which would obviously become a cornerstone of a conspiracy theory. What stupidity. And they don't fix it?!

Frankly I'm surprised anyone would make a stupid mistake like this, which would obviously become a cornerstone of a conspiracy theory. What stupidity. And they don't fix it?!

I was surprised as well, but then again these data entry folks type in absurd amounts of data every day and likely don't read any of it more than enough to type it. I'm also fairly certain the backlog for corrections is massive, as noted in some of the articles I linked above.

Of course they match. The day is generated from the date. Dates are stored in computers like 20121213, then converted to human readable formats for display.

Why on earth would they put in the "real" date if everyone knew the date was supposed to be the next day? Are they simultaneously hyper-competent geniuses and incompetent idiots?

Thanks for clarifying....the "temp" typed in the wrong "date" and that populated the "day". And then, quality control came in and found the error and fixed it. Right, Mick?

Thanks for clarifying....the "temp" typed in the wrong "date" and that populated the "day". And then, quality control came in and found the error and fixed it. Right, Mick?

I don't know what happened during data entry, but clearly there was an error somewhere.. I suspect they fixed the date after getting numerous inquiries from conspiracy theorist, but maybe it was just part of a normal verification process.

Good thing they "fixed" it b/c it could NOT be a type-o as the Day (Thursday) and the Date (13th) MATCHED. They probably killed Adam the night before--generating the 13th date, but once EXPOSED they changed it.

The first part just illustrates your lack of understanding of how computers store and generate dates for human consumption. Do you think they selected the 13th, and then had to select "thursday" from a dropdown or something? When was the last time you specified a date on a computer and had to further specify the day of the week? Your argument holds no water.

Moving on - so, you're telling me they killed him the night before and then dutifully wrote down the correct date?

The first part just illustrates your lack of understanding of how computers store and generate dates for human consumption. Do you think they selected the 13th, and then had to select "thursday" from a dropdown or something? When was the last time you specified a date on a computer and had to further specify the day of the week? Your argument holds no water.

Moving on - so, you're telling me they killed him the night before and then dutifully wrote down the correct date?

Yes, and btw, where can I find the thread on the forum about Robbie Parker? I see a link, but "oddly" it is not "active". Was also looking for the Cyber Warriors for Obama thread. And lastly, the Erin Post (Aurora) thread.

Thanks in advance,

3rd Eye E

Yes, and btw, where can I find the thread on the forum about Robbie Parker? I see a link, but "oddly" it is not "active". Was also looking for the Cyber Warriors for Obama thread. And lastly, the Erin Post (Aurora) thread.

Thanks in advance,

3rd Eye E

I was going to extract it from the Emilie Parker and "not enough tears" threads, but never got around to it. I must admit to becoming somewhat disgusted with the entire subject.

Once it is in it takes the official death certificate for them to fix it. this case has that held up until the case is closed. Also someone normally a family member has to make an issue of it. If they don't then it will just sit there.

My father's death date isn't correct in the SSDI. It's listed as the 15th of the month (which was actually the day of the funeral), when he died on the 11th of the month.

Hello all. I posted this on reddit's /r/skeptic but it didn't get much in the way of a debunking. Maybe some folks here have some ideas?

Link:
http://www.reddit.com/r/skeptic/comments/16yq0p/ssdi_says_adam_lanza_died_a_day_before_sandy_hook/

I found this in the comments, giving some pretty plausible footing to the data entry error theory:
Some people claim that according to “the Social Security Death Index (SSDI), Adam Lanza is reported to have died on the 13th, the day before the ‘massacre.’” Lanza’s death certificate states that he was cremated at the Linwood Crematory in Haverhill, Massachusetts, on December 27. Although the certificate implies that the Hartford Trade Service at 623 Main Street in East Hartford conducted Lanza’s funeral, that facility likely just transferred the body. Suzanne Ouellette, the secretary at the Brookside Chapel and Funeral Home on Main Street in Plaistow, New Hampshire, completed the official Statement of Death. She issued it on January 15, 2013, and mistakenly declared Lanza’s death date as December 13, which the SSDI used. On January 24, she reissued the statement with the correct death date, which was then amended in the SSDI. This error led to a lot of speculation.

Suzanne Ouellette, the secretary at the Brookside Chapel and Funeral Home on Main Street in Plaistow, New Hampshire, completed the official Statement of Death. She issued it on January 15, 2013, and mistakenly declared Lanza’s death date as December 13, which the SSDI used. On January 24, she reissued the statement with the correct death date, which was then amended in the SSDI
The Black Vault, from what i could find, is sourced with providing the Brookside Statement of Death through the Freedom of Information law. https://www.pdffiller.com/en/project/39911898.htm?form_id=25010971

Back