Some Interesting Fibers and "Orbs". Ballooning Spiders?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking for herons flying high overhead today, and I though I saw a couple but when I zoomed in I got:
20160926-131125-w0buf.jpg

Rather an odd looking bundle of fibers. I saw a few more later.
20160926-131315-nod3n.jpg

20160926-131355-wvabc.jpg

20160926-131459-iuw3z.jpg

20160926-131531-sqq4r.jpg

They were very hard to get a sense of scale. I'm thinking they were actually relatively small, just a few inches in the bundles, and a few feet for the longer fibers. They were hard to see with the naked eye, looking like this at a full 500mm zoom. An iPhone camera would not even register them.

20160926-131802-ohwfw.jpg

So they seem like very good candidates for something that could be misidentified as some kind of alien aircraft. They moved strangely, seeming to speed up and change direction. They also tended to vanish (thanks to empty field myopia).

So what are they? I'd suspect ballooning spiders.

Here's a heron pic I shot yesterday at the same zoom settings. The heron also looked pretty much like a white dot until you zoomed in.
20160926-134457-5v6wz.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
Do you have silk floss trees near you? (or maybe lint from your neighbors dryer vent, anyone decorating for Halloween yet? :) )

Marin B

I've never heard of ballooning spiders before. But now that I've poked around a bit on the 'net, that seems to be a more likely explanation than a 20,000 ft pillow fight! :)

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Here's some clumped spider silk and a "chemweb" From:
https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-c...-lab-tests-for-metals-spider-silk-dirt.t5290/

I think it's spiders, hopefully some will get caught in a tree and I'll get a closer look. There was quite a lot of it. I don't remember this from last year.

Earlier today I heard a huge roaring sound, like the noise of a jet flying overhead times six. I looked for the source and I saw one of these fibers floating by. Then I saw six fighter jets, really high, heading North East. I could imagine a suspicious type connecting the two events.

Last edited:

Chew

Senior Member.
I videoed a ballooning spider egg sac once:

Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QyeZOUcLdNg

ETA: a minute after I posted this my iPhone said a software update was available. So I followed the procedure to update it. Right after I clicked on the final step to start the update I looked up and another spider egg sac came drifting by! The only camera I have is on my phone so I couldn't record it! By the time the update completed the sac had drifted over the neighbor's house.

Last edited:

Hama Neggs

Senior Member.
ETA: a minute after I posted this my iPhone said a software update was available. So I followed the procedure to update it. Right after I clicked on the final step to start the update I looked up and another spider egg sac came drifting by! The only camera I have is on my phone so I couldn't record it! By the time the update completed the sac had drifted over the neighbor's house.
That shows you just how cruel and tricky aliens can be!

cloudspotter

Senior Member.
I videoed a ballooning spider egg sac once:

Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QyeZOUcLdNg

I don't think the egg sac 'balloons' does it?

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
C Interesting observation of moon light phenomena i can't find the answer to ???? General Discussion 4
skephu Interesting articles about contrail research Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Bruno D. Chocolate Diet hoax - interesting case about junk science General Discussion 4
J Interesting Contrail Shadow in the Polar Vortex Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
jackprune Interesting Chomsky 9/11 video Escaping The Rabbit Hole 18
justanairlinepilot Interesting Refraction/Diffraction phenomenon [Subhorizon halos: Sub-sun, Sub-sundog] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
nanotchi Interesting topic on alternet that talks about libertarianism being associated with conspiracy. Practical Debunking 22
Jay Reynolds Interesting Intelligent Article on Cloud Seeding/Weather Modification Contrails and Chemtrails 0
cloudspotter Interesting clouds [Row of fallstreak clouds] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 35
Critical Thinker Interesting research on 'thought control'.... how long before CTer's freak out? General Discussion 0
Cairenn Interesting FB profile General Discussion 0
Billzilla Photos of interesting cloud shapes Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Mick West Interesting Contrails create five crosses in the Atlantic Contrails and Chemtrails 14
Jay Reynolds Interesting 'generic' websites General Discussion 1
Mick West Debunked: C-130 dropping 'raindrop shaped fibers', lab tests for metals [Spider Silk, Dirt] Contrails and Chemtrails 105
WavedRhyme Mcdonald's chicken nuggets microfied..fibers? + 14yr old burger General Discussion 24
Oxymoron Morgellons fibers and crystals General Discussion 66
Mick West Debunked: Chemwebs / Mysterious Fibers fall from sky (ballooning spiders) Contrails and Chemtrails 75
Mick West Orbs with Dots - PDAF Focus Pixels in Sun Reflection Lens Flare Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
N How can I debunk the orbs in this photo? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 22
Mick West Debunked: Airplane passenger 'takes picture of UFO that was giving off bright lights and orbs' UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 28
Mick West Red and Blue Side-by-Side Contrails, Midlands, UK Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 35
Joe 10 White "UFO" objects filmed flying over Japan UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 15
Fin Watching a UFO From My Roof (UFO Releasing Glowing Orbs Into a Formation) - debunked? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Whitebeard Claim - 'Orbs Killing Chemtrails' Contrails and Chemtrails 29
Whitebeard Explained: Colorado Man Photographs Flying Jellyfish-Like ‘Critters’ [Water on Lens, Caustic Bokeh] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
DebunkingShills Orbs: Something the metaJUNK shills just can't debunk. Contrails and Chemtrails 24
Debunk This Chem/Con orbs.. no debunking these things Contrails and Chemtrails 234
Related Articles

Related Articles