Sochi: You're hacked

Josh Heuer

I saw this a couple days ago. The claim by NBC (maybe others?) is that for people coming to Sochi, within minutes of using a device connected to the internet, you'll be hacked. Your calls may be recorded, your data may be compromised.

Even for someone like me, who was at one point somewhat savvy of the hacking world (many years ago) but no longer keeps up, this seems fairly far fetched. Is there any truth to this? Or is it over sensationalized?

Combined with the accidental admission that they have surveillance of what people do in bathrooms, maybe it's true.

"We have surveillance video from the hotels that shows people turn on the shower, direct the nozzle at the wall and then leave the room for the whole day," he said. An aide then pulled a reporter away before Mr. Kozak could be questioned further on surveillance in hotel rooms. "We're doing a tour of the media center," the aide said.
A spokesman for Mr. Kozak later on Thursday said there is absolutely no surveillance in hotel rooms or bathrooms occupied by guests. He said there was surveillance on premises during construction and cleaning of Sochi's venues and hotels and that is likely what Mr. Kozak was referencing. A senior official at a company that built a number of the hotels also said there is no such surveillance in rooms occupied by guests."
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304680904579366712107461956 (http://archive.is/XhS0i)

Last edited by a moderator:
Surveillance of hotels isn't quite the same as directly hacking into someone else's hardware though. Although they may very well be connected in some way...but I have no reason to believe that at this point.

I saw this a couple days ago. The claim by NBC (maybe others?) is that for people coming to Sochi, within minutes of using a device connected to the internet, you'll be hacked. Your calls may be recorded, your data may be compromised.

Even for someone like me, who was at one point somewhat savvy of the hacking world (many years ago) but no longer keeps up, this seems fairly far fetched. Is there any truth to this? Or is it over sensationalized?

Seems more plausible it's just monitoring internet traffic. That's pretty much all they would need.

Looks sensationalized to me, based on what Kyle Wilhoit wrote:

First, all the attacks required some kind of user interaction. Whether to execute “applications” or to open a Microsoft Word document, all the attacks shown required user interaction in order to compromise the device.

Second, these attacks could happen anywhere. They would not just happen in Moscow, nor did it require us to be in Moscow. Whether those attacks occur while you are sitting in a coffee shop in Berlin, or your home in Tokyo, these types of attacks can and do occur, on a worldwide scale.

Third, the infections occurred on newly unboxed hardware. Had basic security precautions such as updating the operating system or not opening emails from unrecognized sources been done, these attacks could have been prevented.

Finally, to reiterate, while all three devices looked like they had been compromised with no user interactions that was just not the case. Incorrect impressions may have been formed due to the editing process; no zero-days were used and all infections required plenty of risky behavior to succeed.
Content from External Source
That's a far cry from the impression given in the video -- "malicious software hijacked our phone before we even finished our coffee!" :rolleyes:

If I were traveling in Russia right now, this would probably be the least of my concerns.

http://www.techguylabs.com/episodes/1055/nbc-fakes-story-about-phones-being-hacked-olympics

NBC's Richard Engle did a story that mobile phones and computers were hacked the second people arrived in Russia for the Olympic Games. Leo says that the NBC story was completely false, and faked to get the audience looking at Russia in a specific way. Leo says that they would get hacked if the reporter deliberately went to a malicious site and downloaded the software that would infect the computer or mobile phone. Engle was also a thousand miles away in Moscow when he did it. And he deliberately disabled the security on his Android phone before he did it. And Leo says the results would've been that way anywhere in the world. MAJOR FAIL.

You run your updates, you patch your browser, and you avoid malicious sites. We expect more from NBC and it damages their credibility as a news organization. And Leo said it would've been useful if they had done a story about how easy it could be to get hacked if you're careless.
Content from External Source
Starting at around 0:01:30

NBC posted another video.....
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sochi-olympics/behind-scenes-trapping-russian-hackers-n22361

Last edited:
Back