Skydentify - Guidelines for Submitting Photos

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The Skydentify sub-forum is dedicated to identifying unidentified objects in the sky from videos, photos, drawings, and eyewitness accounts. It's a group of people who enjoy figuring out what the O in UFO actually is.

Please post only genuine images of unknown objects or lights, preferably that you took yourself. Do not post if you know what the object is.

If you want to submit a photo of something in the sky for "skydentification", then:

• Have a quick look at the existing threads, see if there is something similar.
  • If not, then start a new thread,
  • Upload the photo/s, videos, or other images.
  • Use the biggest photos you have. Don't worry if they seem too big.
  • Use the ORIGINAL photos straight out of the camera if possible. These would be individual files that you copy off your memory card. The original photo has lots of useful information in it that can help identify the object.
  • Upload all the photos that you have. If there's more than ten though, consider uploading them to a web album somewhere like Flickr.
  • Describe what you saw when you were taking the photos.
  • Describe what time it was, where you were, and what direction you were facing.

Ready? Then CLICK HERE TO START A NEW SKYDENTIFY THREAD!!

Some resources:

Flight Tracking:

Weather:
http://earth.nullschool.net/

Satellite views

Last edited:
A question regarding the files uploaded: maybe I'm missing something but I can never extract any EXIF data from them. The URLs of uploaded photos don't seem to point directly at an image file, so the usual online tools don't work. Is there a way round this or is it deliberate?

Large images are resized to max 1600. I did not realize it was stripping EXIF data. I'll see what I can do about it. It's a deliberate thing from Xenforo, but obviously problematic for Skydentifiy.

If you want to submit a photo of something in the sky for "skydentification", then:

• Have a quick look at the existing threads, see if there is something similar.
  • If not, then start a new thread,
  • Upload the photo/s
  • Use the biggest photos you have. Don't worry if they seem too big.
  • Use the ORIGINAL photos straight out of the camera if possible. These would be individual files that you copy off your memory card. The original photo has lots of useful information in it that can help identify the object.
  • Upload all the photos that you have. If there's more than ten though, consider uploading them to a web album somewhere like Flickr.
  • Describe what you saw when you were taking the photos.
  • Describe what time it was, where you were, and what direction you were facing.

Ready? Then CLICK HERE TO START A NEW SKYDENTIFY THREAD!!
@Mick West is there a way to search photos on the site. You know how we can right click the photo and search google to find its origin or where else it's being discussed. I was wondering if you had anything similar for searching out photos on this site, since this site has a ton of photo and video evidence...

@Mick West is there a way to search photos on the site. You know how we can right click the photo and search google to find its origin or where else it's being discussed. I was wondering if you had anything similar for searching out photos on this site, since this site has a ton of photo and video evidence...

Use google image search, and add site:metabunk.org to the search, like:

20140816-091423-7qy8o.jpg

Back