Sequence of Aerodynamic Contrails, Gap, Exhaust contrails. At 25,000ft over the UK

Trailblazer

Staff member
This one caught my eye on a bike ride this morning. As you can hopefully tell from the phone photo it appears to be a short section of aerodynamic trail, then a short gap followed by engine contrails.

image.jpeg

What was surprising is that the plane was only just over 25,000 feet.

image.jpeg

Both the aerodynamic and engine contrails persisted for quite a while.

There's quite a deep low pressure over the UK at the moment with relatively cold air, -55C at 300mb

image.gif

Planes at higher altitudes were mostly leaving very short trails, and the RH forecast at 300mb was very low, so there must have been quite a shallow layer of cold and humid air.

image.gif

(My location is about 35 miles west-southwest of London)

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
This one caught my eye on a bike ride this morning. As you can hopefully tell from the phone photo it appears to be a short section of aerodynamic trail, then a short gap followed by engine contrails.
Just annotating that, as it's not clear from your description which is which

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The plane appears to be climbing fairly rapidly, getting up to 35,000 feet before it hit the channel. Perhaps of slight note is that it was two hours late, and sometimes they go a bit faster to try to make up time (at least that's what they tell you).

Rapid climb means higher thrust, so more water content in the exhaust, so exhaust contrail starting at a slightly lower altitude.

I've seen similar transitions here, the San Francisco traffic is climbing past 24,000 feet over my house, but I've not seen a gap this short.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Curiously, I've seen something similar today while working in my garden. I spotted a distant thick trail with a couple of short gaps that looked like an aerodynamic contrail. Before I decided to fetch my camera, the trail stopped and then reappeared as a short exhaust contrail. The plane also changed direction at about the same time heading closer toward me. I have identified it as SN2063 from Brussels. It was still climbing up from 25,000 ft over the North Sea:
Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 15.53.25.png

I did not bother to take the plane's picture when it come closer. There were more clouds overhead than in the southeast part of the sky.

Trailblazer

Staff member
A couple more pics. This is the short bit of aerodynamic contrail a couple of minutes later. (The gap grew a bit but you can still see the exhaust contrail at the top of the photo)

image.jpeg

And the exhaust contrail another minute or so later as the plane headed off to the east. It's actually above that thin cloud layer and visible through it.

image.jpeg

Bristol to Innsbruck on easyJet, that'll be packed full of people going skiing. I'm not jealous at all...

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Spectrar Ghost Contrail Evolution Sequence Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Apogej What Is this time-lapse sequence of? [Contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 24
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Explained: Chilean Navy "UFO" video - Aerodynamic Contrails, Flight IB6830 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 186
Mick West Four Engines, Flying West over Sacramento Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Clouds Givemethewillies Persistent Aerodynamic Contrails From Propellor Tips Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West Close Up Videos of Contrails Forming And Evolving Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 19
Mick West Some "Black" Shadowed Aerodynamic Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 4
Mick West Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Forming @28,500 on 787 Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
JFDee Aerodynamic cloud created by mountain Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 3
Trailspotter Helicopter aerodynamic dashed linear contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 4
Mick West Debunked: Irrefutable Film Footage Of Climate Engineering Aerosol Spraying [Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Mick West Giant Dark Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 6
F Explained: Video of plane leaving "6 chemtrails, then 2" [Mixed Exhaust and Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Trailspotter Alternating hybrid contrails Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
TEEJ Aerodynamic Contrail/Shadow Peoria, Arizona, 25 November 2015 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
M fuel dumping or Aerodynamic contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Asymmetric Partially Aerodynamic Turboprop Contrails at 25,000 and 27,000 feet Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West An unusual persistent aerodynamic contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Mick West A Rainbow Aerodynamic Contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
skephu Aerodynamic Contrails that look like Exhaust Contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 45
Trailblazer Excellent video of vortices and aerodynamic contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 10
Mick West Contrails On the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Marine0811 Plane trail at wings, none at engines? [Aerodynamic contrails, no flaps] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Rico Debunked: Dane Wigington's Undeniable Footage of Jet Aircraft Spraying [Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 42
Mumbles B-52G aerodynamic contrail Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Balance Debunked: Pilot Forgets To Turn Off CHEMTRAILS while landing [Aerodynamic Contrail, Wake Vortex] Contrails and Chemtrails 109
Ross Marsden Aerodynamic and Exhaust Mediated Persistent Contrails - When do they Form? Contrails and Chemtrails 52
Rett Debunked: KC-10 video by Tanker Enemy [Hoax, Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 31
Jay Reynolds Debunked: KC-10 Video with Aerodynamic Contrails and Flap Track Fairings as Proof of "Spraying" West/Wigington Geoengineering Debate 49
i_dont_know_enough KC-10 Aerodynamic contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Mick West Curved and Looped Contrails in SoCal [San Diego Delays] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Crazy Contrails from LAX Ground Stop Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Mick West Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West Moonlight Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West YouTube adds Encyclopedia Britannica article on Contrails to "Chemtrail" Videos Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Trailblazer Sharp boundary between contrails and clear sky Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West Plane Flies in Front of Super Blue Blood Moon Eclipse Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
cloudspotter How Changing Weather Conditions Make Contrails Show Up Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Some Perspective on Perspective Foreshortening - Contrails and UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West A Plane Flying Across the Face of the Sun, with Contrails [Virgin Flight 353] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
TEEJ Contrails filmed from commercial flight over the Irish Sea - 6th May 2017 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
ki_cz Contrails 'breaking up' clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 10
E Can someone tell me what these are? [Grid pattern contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Related Articles

Related Articles