Santa Monica College (SMC) Shooting near Obama visit

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
This is just two miles away from me.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Santa-Monica-College-Gunman-Shooting-210614151.html

A person believed to be the gunman who opened fire on a bus and other vehicles near Santa Monica College, just blocks from a fundraising event at which President Barack Obama is in attendance, is in custody Friday after several people were injured.Campus police at the college in Santa Monica, Calif. confirmed that there are multiple victims, but did not have details regarding their conditions. One person, believed to be the shooter, was shot and transported to a hospital, according to Santa Monica Police.
Police are checking on reports of a second subject.
A local hospital reported receiving three victims from the shooting, including two in critical condition, the Associated Press reported.
The President's Santa Monica fundraiser is several blocks north of the campus.
Content from External Source
It's in very busy location, so I'd expect lots of photos and video.

There's also a house fire that seems related, possible dead bodies inside.

I'm posting this in "Conspiracy Theories", due to the inevitable "False Flag" conspiracy theories that will be raised.

Looks like bullet holes to me.

Lots of reports for use of an assault type weapon also. Nothing officially announced yet though.

Playing internet detective, the house on fire is 2036 Yorkshire Ave, Santa Monica. Owned by Samir S. Zawahri.

Before:

After:

Out of towners may be amused to learn that such a house goes for around $775,000

Last edited:
http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/06/fire-near-santa-monica-college-shooting-dad-found-in-house/

Of the house's residents, KTLA cites neighbors who say a man in his 50's lives there with his two sons in their 30's. They described the family as a bit reclusive, keepers to themselves, who not many people know explicit details about.
The Los Angeles Times, reports that the man who set the house on fire was indeed the man from Santa Monica College. He allegedly fled the scene of the fire, an attempted break-in gone awry, and tried to hide out at SMC — but not before opening fire at passing vehicles on Pico Blvd.
The man in his 50's MIGHT be Samir Zawahri (age 55 according to blockshopper.com. Unique name in the US, so easy to look up).

(Conspiracy connection: "Zawahri" is an alternate spelling of the family name of Al Queda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri.)

Then again, Zawahri might just be the landlord.

Only 1.2 miles from the school. If the fire happened before the school shooting then it could be the same shooter. It has not been confirmed yet but a witness said they saw what appeared to be the shooter dead at the school.

How does an attempted break in result in a fire? Seems odd.
I guess if you break in, end up killing the owners and start the fire to cover your tracks.

How does an attempted break in result in a fire? Seems odd.
I guess if you break in, end up killing the owners and start the fire to cover your tracks.

Purely hypothetical - the killer might be one of the sons.

There's a related incident a bit to the South now. Centinela and Palms. I can hear the helicopters as I type this. Tons of cops apparently.

About a mile from here 15 min ago.

(More local amusement - check out the sidewalk - they are all like that round there).

Last edited:
Suspect confirmed shot dead by police at the school. Male white between 25-35 years of age. No name given yet.

Jun 07, 2013 [Part 7] -- Santa Monica Shootings (SkyCam Raw Footage)<strong>

Any word on the second suspect? The Asian male that was detained to be specific. My first thoughts were that he had a gun but was not shooting random/innocent people, as in trying to defend himself. No news source has confirmed he shot at all just that he was detained. CNN just said they are still trying to get word on the same question I have.

It most possibly can be him...Samir S. Zawahri and a woman he was married to on New Year's Eve of 1985 in LA County, Randa A. Abdou, only had two sons. Christopher Samir Zawahri born 8/06/1987 and John Samir Zawahri born 06/08/1989 (yes, his birthday is tomorrow). Both sons were born in Los Angeles County.

Any word on the second suspect? The Asian male that was detained to be specific. My first thoughts were that he had a gun but was not shooting random/innocent people, as in trying to defend himself. No news source has confirmed he shot at all just that he was detained. CNN just said they are still trying to get word on the same question I have.
The 'person of interest' had a valid reason for being on campus and was released after it was determined he was not involved.

Neighbor confirms shooter was one of the two sons. Older son, possibly called "Chris".

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/video/...d-Home-Saw-Gunman-in-SWAT-Like-Gear/210643671

Possibly Christopher Samir Zawahri, aged 25.

Somewhat confirmed
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...onica-shooting-spree-20130608,0,4640970.story
Firefighters later found the bodies of two men inside the house. Police sources, who requested anonymity because of the ongoing investigation, said the men were Samir Zawahri, 55, the owner of the house, and one of his adult sons. A second son is suspected of being the shooter, the sources said.
Also a good account here:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/08/us/california-college-gunman/index.html
Santa Monica, California (CNN) -- The gunman's rampage began at a home in this beachfront city, leaving two dead inside. Then he carjacked a woman and fired at a public bus. It all ended when police shot him dead at Santa Monica College as students studied for finals, a mile from the house.His blood trail, however, left four people dead Friday in Santa Monica, which abuts Los Angeles and is renowned for its liberal openness.
A law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN on Saturday that the gunman had suffered mental health issues. A couple of years ago, he was hospitalized for treatment after allegedly talking about harming someone, according to the official.

Got the brothers the wrong way round, shooter is John, other brother Chris is a victim:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...ntified-john-zawahri-20130608,0,1143675.story

The suspect was identified by five law enforcement sources in Washington and Los Angeles as John Zawahri, in his 20s.
Other sources with knowledge of the investigation said detectives believe the shooting was sparked by a family dispute of some kind but emphasized that the investigation was still in its early stages.
The suspect's past mental health issues occurred when he was juvenile, the law enforcement source said, but no further details were offered.

Which will probably lead to conspiracy comparisons with Adam Lanza, and initial reports that it was his brother who was the shooter.

The "Chris" part came for the interview with the neighbor, who obviously just got the names wrong.

They have done everything but say the name of the shooter. Next of kin have yet to be notified. I'm sure the delay will fuel fires.

...left four people dead Friday in Santa Monica, which abuts Los Angeles and is renowned for its liberal openness.
A law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN on Saturday that the gunman had suffered mental health issues. A couple of years ago, he was hospitalized for treatment after allegedly talking about harming someone, according to the official.
This seems a strange thing to say, or is it attempting to push an agenda that portray's 'liberal openness' as allowing the dangerously mentally ill to walk free?

...left four people dead Friday in Santa Monica, which abuts Los Angeles and is renowned for its liberal openness.
This seems a strange thing to say, or is it attempting to push an agenda that portray's 'liberal openness' as allowing the dangerously mentally ill to walk free?

I lived in Santa Monica for 15 years (and now I just live a mile south of it). It's certainly liberal, but I'm not sure what the "openness" would mean. We don't keel-haul gays? It sounds more like them portraying the event as a culture shock, a "I never thought it could happen here" type thing. A wake-up call to those pinko liberals that freedom isn't free, or something.

California has the strictest gun laws in the country, yet there still manages to be people that go on shooting sprees....more proof that gun control does nothing to prevent tragedies like this.

California has the strictest gun laws in the country, yet there still manages to be people that go on shooting sprees....more proof that gun control does nothing to prevent tragedies like this.
What is needed to back up the strict gun law is stricter punishments for those who commit crimes with guns.

The expected conspiracy theories:
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...-appear-to-be-another-false-flag-2677394.html

Once again, we have a shooter who takes aim at innocent civilians, dressed in all black BDU’s, like VA Tech,Giffords AZ Shooter, Aurora Theater, Newtown School. Also, there were reports of second and third shooters,
different weapons used, inconsistant casualty counts, secrecy surrounding the shooters identity, etc…
But I will show some proof of inconsistancies and just plain bizarre police explanations.

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...-appear-to-be-another-false-flag-2677394.html
The pistol, anybody familiar with guns, is a blackpowder pistol.
This pistol looks like it could be a conversion, meaning it looks old but fires modern ammunition.
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/army-navy-conversion-and-open-top.php
1858_new_army_conversion_lg.jpg
Santa M.jpg
Also, the box shown, is a muzzleloader box that you get when you buy a kit…
Was it ever reported that the box came along for the shooting spree? I can't see the shooter wanting to carry it around.

And why on earth would some mentally ill person bringing an odd selection of guns to a school shooting mean that it was staged?

And the other bit of "evidence" - the shoes next to the body were not the same as a boot somewhere else. What is supposed to have happened here?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0614-santa-monica-shooting-20130614,0,7978148.story
Also on Zawahri's body, authorities said, was a three- to four-page handwritten note. A portion dealt with family, but most of it was a series of farewells to "several" friends, Lewis said, adding that there was no hatred apparent. Police plan to interview the friends as the investigation continues.
"In the note was commentary that he was sorry for having killed his father, sorry for having killed his brother, that he hoped his mother would be looked after financially and would receive financial recompense from his father's estate," Seabrooks said. "He said goodbye to friends and it was more of a farewell."
Just as I thought.
The police chief said the revolver Zawahri was also carrying had been converted.

I made a map showing where the various photos are:

The gunman's body is by a brand new bike parking lot on Pearl St, which does not currently show up in Google Maps.

The boot and blood photo is about 100 feet North West of that point. The boots probably belong to the janitor who was shot. The cart with cans belongs to the can collector lady who got shot.

Last edited:
Seabrooks said Zawahri attempted to buy a weapon in 2011, but for reasons that are unclear, the state's Department of Justice deemed him ineligible.Despite the denial, police say, Zawahri proceeded to buy gun components from various sources across the country and assemble his own semiautomatic rifle.
Police said they believe Zawahri's AR-15-style weapon consisted of an "80%" lower receiver that was not fully manufactured. Because of its incomplete status, it would not require a serial number or registration.
"In this particular case, the weapon that he ended up with ultimately is one that, by definition, would be illegal to possess here in the state of California," Seabrooks said.
This could be used to push new gun laws and could be used as "proof" to some, of a false flag type operation if used to push those new laws.

Back