Reddit slow motion capture

yoshy

Here's a post for y'all from Reddit:
Slow motion capture

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/x8csfx/i_was_trying_to_capture_lightning_in_slow_motion

OP describes the situation:

submission statement : I captured this while trying to capture a lightning strike as It was thundering the setup used for this video was an s10+ capturing 0.2 seconds of footage at 960fps at a shutterspeed of 1/24000 of a second but still has motion blur the way this was captured on such a short space of time was because my phone picked up motion which I didn't see myself when looking at the same spot so I checked the footage and found this. this footage was captured near Bournemouth in the uk.

First thing I'm looking for are the exact specs of the slow motion recording.

The Galaxy S10 and S10+ is perfect for capturing those action shots wherever you go. It can record more at a real 960 frames per second with HD support. You can record approximately 0.4 seconds of video captured at 960 fps with approximately 12 seconds of playback or record 0.8 seconds of video captured at 480 fps and digitally enhance the video to 960 fps with approximately 24 seconds of playback.

The post is only 8 seconds rather than 12 so I think some of it was cut off. This makes it difficult to get a gauge on how much real time occurred.

This certainly looks like a nearby bug or bird, but can it be proven?

Last edited by a moderator:
@flarkey (I assume that's our flarkey) tried to get more hard info but it seemed nobody wanted to take him seriously. The reddit site's purpose is stated as "We aim to elevate good research while maintaining healthy skepticism.", but that seems to be true "more in the breach than in the observance".

@flarkey (I assume that's our flarkey) tried to get more hard info but it seemed nobody wanted to take him seriously. The reddit site's purpose is stated as "We aim to elevate good research while maintaining healthy skepticism.", but that seems to be true "more in the breach than in the observance".
It's a very toxic subreddit on a website that is already full of toxicity. Unfortunately, OP is not answering any questions or providing the raw footage. It is strange that the object seems to just appear rather than come in from the left, and the video ends before it reaches the tree, so it's impossible to tell if it's truly behind the tree or not.

These are the actual pixels in the Reddit video, just with levels adjusted. There's a lot of motion compression, which is why you don't see it come out from behind the tree. There are actually few pixels that darken, but it's likely between keyframes, and so it pops into visibility the next keyframe.

Attachments

• 001 - slowmo sclip contrast .mp4
    2.8 MB
Back